• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gods forbid: India's temples guard their gold from government

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, the Hindu Gods and Goddesses (except Shiva perhaps) seem to be unusually fond of gold and silver. :)

For some reason, the Hindu Gods and Goddesses (except Shiva perhaps) seem to be unusually fond of gold and silver. :)

I think historically, the temples served as a last resort for the hindu kingdoms and their populace, to restart their lives after disasters like war, floods, earthquakes, famines, etc. That is why the people deposited gold into the Temple hundies. The gold stock in temples is the asset of the population as a whole and not that of a single entity like the deity in the temple. People have least faith in today's government and the apprehension is that all the gold will find its way to churches and mosques and will eventually be spirited abroad for the private gains of political who is who.

The GOI can, even now, devise strategies to reduce petroleum (crude) imports and many other similar items; but all these imports mean percentages to political bigwigs in foreign currency which gets credited to swiss bank accounts or finds its way into the indian stock market through Participatory Notes. Though common people may not know the exact details, they have some good general idea about what goes on. Hence this resistance.

I would not be too sure about Lord Shiva being an exception!

Check this out..from Chandrasekhara Asthkam..Silver is mentioned as a figure of speech!

चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर पाहिमाम् ।
चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर रक्षमाम् ॥ १॥

रत्नसानुशरासनं रजतादिशृङ्गनिकेतनं
सिञ्जिनीकृतपन्नगेश्वरमच्युताननसायकम् ।
क्षिप्रदघपुरत्रयं त्रिदिवालयैभिवन्दितं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ २॥

Rathna Sanu Sarasanam, Rajathadri Srunga Nikethanam,
Sinchini Krutha Pannageswarachyuthahana Sayakam,
Kshipra Dhagdha Pura Thrayam Thri Divalayairabhi Vanditham,
Chandra Shekaramasraye Mama Kim Karishyathi Vai Yama

I seek refuge in him, who has the moon,Who made the mountain of jewels into his bow,Who resides on the mountain of silver,Who made the serpent Vasuki as rope,Who made Lord Vishnu as arrows,And quickly destroyed the three cities,And who is saluted by the three worlds,And so what can the God of Death do to me?

Last edited:
I would not be too sure about Lord Shiva being an exception!

Check this out..from Chandrasekhara Asthkam..Silver is mentioned as a figure of speech!

चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर पाहिमाम् ।
चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर चन्द्रशेखर रक्षमाम् ॥ १॥

रत्नसानुशरासनं रजतादिशृङ्गनिकेतनं
सिञ्जिनीकृतपन्नगेश्वरमच्युताननसायकम् ।
क्षिप्रदघपुरत्रयं त्रिदिवालयैभिवन्दितं
चन्द्रशेखरमाश्रये मम किं करिष्यति वै यमः ॥ २॥

Rathna Sanu Sarasanam, Rajathadri Srunga Nikethanam,
Sinchini Krutha Pannageswarachyuthahana Sayakam,
Kshipra Dhagdha Pura Thrayam Thri Divalayairabhi Vanditham,
Chandra Shekaramasraye Mama Kim Karishyathi Vai Yama

I seek refuge in him, who has the moon,Who made the mountain of jewels into his bow,Who resides on the mountain of silver,Who made the serpent Vasuki as rope,Who made Lord Vishnu as arrows,And quickly destroyed the three cities,And who is saluted by the three worlds,And so what can the God of Death do to me?

Lord Shiva is a mendicant...So Vibhuti Abhishekham is his preethi...Nageshwara (snake ) is the ornament he wears..In case of Lord Vishnu he is alankara priyar & we decorate him in various forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back