• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

from Amangalis .. to priests - a welcome move (long overdue though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vgane

I know a family with 5 girls and the eldest among them who had a good Bank job sacrificed her own marriage for her sisters...Educated all the sisters and got them educated and married them off

There are many such instances...Education has been the biggest emancipator for our women folk

We should not forget their sacrifices

Now, with smaller families such sacrifices may not be required

But in case of a need, I am sure our women folk will raise to the occasion to support the family

No doubt the villain for IC & IR in modern times has been blamed on our women folk

Here too the community elders understand that it cannot be arrested without our women folk support

I am sure with better awareness and a reality check this will be contained in the long run(?)

Let us continue to respect our women who are the bulwark for our tradition and culture!

v arun kumar

if any thing the widows should command more respect, and honour, its not easy job, living a life of lonliness in some cases for decades, for managing their affairs independently, I never understood, as to why they were cast aside in society, My sheer respects to them all

sarang

Vrindavan widows back in City of Joy

Some good news. For once the reporter has not squarely blamed hindu dharma for the sorry plight of the widows, who left their homes and moved to vridavan.

Heads turned at Terminal 3 in Delhi’s Indira Gandhi International Airport as a group of 50-odd elderly women entered the lobby to board a flight to Kolkata.

Even as personnel and passengers wondered who these women — most of them dressed in crisp white cotton sarees, wearing garlands and carrying a flower bouquet — were, a policewoman at security check enquired in Hindi, “Where have you come from? Where are you going?” Getting an unintelligible response in rustic Bangla, she had to make do with looking at the passenger’s boarding card (ration card for these passengers). These were Vrindavan widows flying back to Kolkata for the first time since they left home.
These aged widows, who were abandoned by their family or had fled their inhospitable homes back when the city was known as Calcutta, were going back to celebrate Durga Puja in their hometown. They were accompanied by this reporter from The Hindu.
Courtesy NGO Sulabh International, the women have been invited by several puja samitis to inaugurate puja pandals in their home State. The sojourn is aimed at helping the women break free of the stigma attached to widowhood — in rural West Bengal, widows are kept away from auspicious ceremonies. In the light of The Hindu’s report on their plight in Mathura’s shelter homes, the Supreme Court had asked SI to look after the welfare of the widows.
“I have been living at Vrindavan for the past 16 years after my three sons found it difficult to fend for me in our house at Medinipur. They are daily-wagers and have children to look after, so I decided to take shelter at Vrindavan,” says Bijoli Devi, reluctant to share the real circumstances that forced her to leave her house after she was widowed. She does add, however, that she doesn’t wish to visit her family this time. “You know, I have a sister-in-law in Kolkata but they are so rich that I am scared to enter her house. I visited her house 10 years ago but never after that.”
Ashokasundari has been in Vrindavan for six years but hesitates to share her story. “One day, several old women in the village decided to go to Vrindavan, so I tagged along and never looked back,” is all she lets on. Each one of them has a different story to tell, but on Sunday there was a common expression on their faces — of joy and happiness — and an excitement that they found difficult to suppress. “Bahut maza aaya [We enjoyed a lot],” they said when asked about their experience on board. The flight arrived in Kolkata in no time and though the security procedures left them baffled, they conducted themselves with discipline. At the airport, they were welcomed to drumbeats and showered with flowers, bringing traffic to a virtual standstill. As they entered the ‘City of Joy’, they danced with gay abandon and posed readily for the media.

Vrindavan widows back in City of Joy - The Hindu

sarang

The temple has announced this information too, but left out in many reports.

"Poojary said the hall on the temple premises will be given free of cost for widow re-marriages."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks