• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First flower grown in space shows there is 'other life' out there

Status
Not open for further replies.
First flower grown in space shows there is 'other life' out there

US astronaut Scott Kelly announced the historic news from the International Space Station

Space-Flower.jpg
A flower has grown in space for the first time ever Nasa / Scott Kelly A flower has bloomed in the zero gravity of space for the first time ever.
US astronaut Scott Kelly announced the historic news that a zinnia plant had flowered on the International Space Station (ISS) on his Twitter account, along with a photograph of an orange, 13-petalled flower.
“First ever flower grown in space makes its debut! #SpaceFlower #zinnia #YearInSpace,” he wrote, adding: “Yes, there are other life forms in space!”
A Nasa blog about the flowers, written before one had bloomed, said zinnias were chosen not for their beauty but to “help scientists understand how plants flower and grow in microgravity”.
At the end of December, Mr Kelly tweeted a photograph of sad-looking zinnias with curled, mouldy leaves.
“Our plants aren't looking too good. Would be a problem [for a human colony] on Mars,” he said.
Other plants, such as lettuce and wheat, have been grown in space but never a flower that has bloomed. “The zinnia plant is very different from lettuce,” Trent Smith, project manager of the ISS’s “Veggie” plant growth facility, told the Nasa blog.
“It is more sensitive to environmental parameters and light characteristics. It has a longer growth duration between 60 and 80 days.
“Thus, it is a more difficult plant to grow, and allowing it to flower, along with the longer growth duration, makes it a good precursor to a tomato plant.
”In addition to helping scientists work out how to grow useful plants in space, it is thought the presence of a flower will raise spirits among the ISS crew.

“Plants can indeed enhance long-duration missions in isolated, confined and extreme environments – environments that are artificial and deprived of nature,” Alexandra Whitmire, of the NASA Human Research Programme, said.
“While not all crew members may enjoy taking care of plants, for many, having this option is beneficial.
“In future missions, the importance of plants will likely increase given the crews’ limited connection to Earth. Studies from other isolated and confined environments, such as Antarctic stations, demonstrate the importance of plants in confinement, and how much more salient fresh food becomes psychologically, when there is little stimuli around.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...s-there-is-other-life-out-there-a6818381.html

The findings that the growth of plants and blossom of flowers in zero gravity atmospheres will, besides helping the research certainly shall boost the morale of the astronauts in the mission.

The findings that the growth of plants and blossom of flowers in zero gravity atmospheres will, besides helping the research certainly shall boost the morale of the astronauts in the mission.

Creation of Space colony in the near future is a distinct possibility!

Vow! Vow! Vow!!! Incredible!
No wonder every where we hear news of UFOs and alien visits to our planet in recent times!

When I saw the photo I thought it was Daffodils it is Zinnia I suppose - What is in a name ? Daffodils hook me to Wordsworth and his Lyrics inspired by Daffodils!

And now you wander above the clouds wondering the daffodils!

1. Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
    Lyric by William Wordsworth

"I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud" is a lyric poem by William Wordsworth. It is Wordsworth's most famous work. The poem was inspired by an event on 15 April 1802, in which Wordsworth and his sister Dorothy came across a "long belt" of daffodils.Wikipedia

This photo was shot this moring in my Lawn Its grown in a small place not much of space in a pot!

Screenshot_2016-01-19-09-15-24.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back