• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First Cousin Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Athai's son, mama's daughter? Were it not happening?

Or Athai 's daughter

( Refer songs Athai magale.... OR Athaan Avarennathaan...)

i have always wondered,while its ok to marry fathers sister children but cannot marry fathers brothers children?

similiarly,its ok to marry mothers brother but not fathers brother?

though muslims allow i think.muslims are awesome ,everything opposite of what we do,is the rule for them,i think.even christians also do this.

Hi Nachi Naga
I don't know what you mean by 'christians'; in the USA, any marriage with any first cousins are not allowed, be it athai/maama's children or chithi/Periamma/periappa/chithappa's offsprings.
Even North Indians forbid 1st cousin marraiges.
I also wondered as to why one could marry father's sister's children but not brother's....... I believe it is only in Tamil Nadu this is happening.

i have always wondered,while its ok to marry fathers sister children but cannot marry fathers brothers children?

though muslims allow i think.muslims are awesome ,everything opposite of what we do,is the rule for them,i think.even christians also do this.

Hi Nachi Naga
I don't know what you mean by 'christians'; in the USA, any marriage with any first cousins are not allowed, be it athai/maama's children or chithi/Periamma/periappa/chithappa's offsprings.
Even North Indians forbid 1st cousin marraiges.
I also wondered as to why one could marry father's sister's children but not brother's....... I believe it is only in Tamil Nadu this is happening.

sf,

thanks,i did not know that too.see,christians in tn do marry cousins.this usa christains are mostly protestants.glad you told me this.north indians a very minority sect do marry even i was under the same impression as yours.in tn,i believe wealth within family,plus lack of boys/girls vailability were some reason,for this custom.maman ponnu/payyan are like big deal issues.

Naga,

AFAIK, Christians in Kerala avoid all first cousins; they don't have athai makan, mama makaL, even. But the poorer sections among Xians, who had not forsaken their customs prior to conversion, used to have mama makaL as wife, this being allowed in most Malayali castes. There is even a phrase "ammavante mOL^" to refer to a girl on whom a boy shows interest, in jocular way.

Hi Nachi Naga
Probably our Dharma Sastra writer/s felt that sons among themselves were "sagotra" and applied the same rule to sisters also. But I know of one case where the husband and wife were children of sisters. Marriage was conducted with full consent of community elders, priests, etc., some 60 years ago. Their 3 daughters and all their children and the children of one of those grandchildren (so far) are all healthy.

Probably our Dharma Sastra writer/s felt that sons among themselves were "sagotra" and applied the same rule to sisters also. But I know of one case where the husband and wife were children of sisters. Marriage was conducted with full consent of community elders, priests, etc., some 60 years ago. Their 3 daughters and all their children and the children of one of those grandchildren (so far) are all healthy.

wow sangom,this is news to me.i mean we were taught its incest.must be some mystery behind all this.

You follow either Hindu religious edict or the scientific basis for this.

1. Hindu edict is based on the primacy of a man's gene over that of a woman's and probably considered the gothra lineage of the child (especially the male). So the marriage with a first cousin from father's side is forbidden EXCEPT from father's sisters' side (because her gothram is that of her husband's, which definitely would be different from one's father's). On the mother's side though this exception applies to one's Mama's daughter. But when it comes to one's mother's sisters then, it can not be guarateed that their gothras would be different from the father's gothra. Hence the rule.

2. Scientifically, we know both our parents' genes impact us and it has been shown that the marriage with close relatives do increase the probability that the children resulting from such marriages do face increased risks of contracting genetically passed mutative diseases.

So, one needs to view this and decide. But then there is a third option. If one is in love, and can not abide by the above two logics, then these rules are off. Do what your heart tells you todo, understanding the consequences.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
Even I have always wondered if marrying your mother's sister's daughter is ok as long as you dont belong to the same gothras?? I am not sure about this? Can anyone give insight on this?

Vivek,

AFAIK, marrying mother's sister's daughter is forbidden amongst all hindus. However, kindly note all marriage rules have changed over time. Example: no sane people practice the rakshasa vivaha anymore.

Marrying mother's sister's daughetr it is permitted amongst muslims i think.

Marrying mother's sister's daughter has nothing to do with gothras and gothras in present time have nothing to do with genes

In my view (and as i have come across), two people of the same gothra can belong to different haplogroups.

And i suspect gotras never had anything to do with genes in the past either as sagothra marriages were preferred in the past unlike the present....And gothra in the vedic period meant just cowpens that were shared by a set of clans / were common to a tribe..if interested, do read this: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociology/4455-brother-sister-marriages-our-puranas-3.html#post50397 -- and also note inpputs that follow that post by Shri Sangom.

AFAIK, southern indians permit

a) marrying father's sister's daughter
b) marrying mother's brother's daughter

Some examples:

a) Krishna married Rukmani, his first cousin (father's sister's daughter);
b) Arjun also married his first cousin, Subhadra (his mother's brother's daughter).

Do note that in both cases, the brides were their 'murai penn' (as they are called).

However, marrying first cousins is not permitted amongst north-indians in any form.

Regards.

Last edited:
marrying cousins is legalized incest now.maybe lord krishna and lord arjuna,did have incestous relationship when we compare them with todays science standards.its totally barbaric rascaldom,to continue this practice by south indians,bloody nonsense.

Yes, you are correct, Srimathi HH Ji. Instead of 'Hindu' custom, I should have said 'TB custom'. I just saw this and wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Regards,
KRS
Vivek,

AFAIK, marrying mother's sister's daughter is forbidden amongst all hindus. However, kindly note all marriage rules have changed over time. Example: no sane people practice the rakshasa vivaha anymore.

Marrying mother's sister's daughetr it is permitted amongst muslims i think.

Marrying mother's sister's daughter has nothing to do with gothras and gothras in present time have nothing to do with genes

In my view (and as i have come across), two people of the same gothra can belong to different haplogroups.

And i suspect gotras never had anything to do with genes in the past either as sagothra marriages were preferred in the past unlike the present....And gothra in the vedic period meant just cowpens that were shared by a set of clans / were common to a tribe..if interested, do read this: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociology/4455-brother-sister-marriages-our-puranas-3.html#post50397 -- and also note inpputs that follow that post by Shri Sangom.

AFAIK, southern indians permit

a) marrying father's sister's daughter
b) marrying mother's brother's daughter

Some examples:

a) Krishna married Rukmani, his first cousin (father's sister's daughter);
b) Arjun also married his first cousin, Subhadra (his mother's brother's daughter).

Do note that in both cases, the brides were their 'murai penn' (as they are called).

However, marrying first cousins is not permitted amongst north-indians in any form.

Regards.

Excuse me sirs. I am a N. Indian Brahmin.

In N. India matrimony rules are strict and all such relations as suggested so far are REJECTED.

A person has 4 g'parents, all having different gotra lineage. All those 4 lineages are EXCLUDED. In short, a marriage is intra gotra, but within the caste. Surnames may not reflect the gotra, so it is enquired.

Who married whom in ancient times does not matter anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

In N. India matrimony rules are strict and all such relations as suggested so far are REJECTED.

A person has 4 g'parents, all having different gotra lineage. All those 4 lineages are EXCLUDED. In short, a marriage is intra gotra, but within the caste. Surnames may not reflect the gotra, so it is enquired.

Respected Sirs,
I made a blunder in this message. Amended one:

A person has 4 g'parents, all having different gotra lineage. All those 4 lineages are EXCLUDED. In short, a marriage is inter gotra, but intra caste. Surnames may not reflect the gotra, so it is enquired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back