• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

English and Intelligence - Leftover attitude problem from Colonial Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Hare Krishna
The following summarizes my feelings towards importance and association of English with intelligence, giving here in this thread so as to hear different perspectives:

(This is my reply in thread 'Are you made to feel small?')

"I do not believe that flawless English is any measure of intelligence. If at all, it is a measure of one's social standing, that he/she attended convents and were exposed to spoken English right from very young age.

The reason i am stating so is because I feel for the disadvantaged brilliant people who otherwise went to substandard schools and never got exposure to spoken English (or even English textbooks).

Besides, I do not like glorification of English language as a measure of intelligence, afterall it is just a language. If you would not call someone proficient in tamil to the point of writing elegant essays in it as 'intelligent', the same way you cannot call a fluent speaker in English 'intelligent' on the basis of this skill alone.

Somehow the French who completely detest English and refuse to speak it in their country rise above in my mind.

As Indians, we have this 'English craze' and we should develop more self-respect for our native languages and should come to regard skills in them as highly as we would look at 'English'.

Besides intelligence has several aspects to it - street smartness, people skills, proficiency in one's specialized study and work, verbal skills, etc. To be considered an 'intelligent' person, one should have reasonable grasp in all the above, as they are surely interlinked and not one standalone parameter alone suffices."

Dear JR,

Language has nothing to do with intelligence.

Out here where I stay..we do not study in English.

I studied in Malay.Our school are Malay medium. I can safely say my command of Malay is much better than my English.
But I grew up speaking English at home along with some amount of Tamil.

There is no English Medium school unless its an international school.

So no big deal..the 1st time I studied in English was when I joined MBBS in India.

In new india of PM Modi, the smartest and fashionable will converse only in sanskritised Hindi

Those who cannot communicate in this language will be considered unintelligent and made to feel small .

jai ho hindi

Dear JR,

Language has nothing to do with intelligence.

Out here where I stay..we do not study in English.

I studied in Malay.Our school are Malay medium. I can safely say my command of Malay is much better than my English.
But I grew up speaking English at home along with some amount of Tamil.

There is no English Medium school unless its an international school.

So no big deal..the 1st time I studied in English was when I joined MBBS in India.

Dear Renuka,

My English, if at all anything, is POOR. I studies in RKM Sarada Vidyalaya until my 10th std. Although I studied in English medium, most of the students were from lower middle class and there was substandard English knowledge. At that time my family wasn't well off and due to various reasons, could afford to send me only to this school. When I grew up, I used to feel very bad for not being able to converse in English as good as a convent-educated. Later when I went to college, this became quite a deficiency for me, but I rather picked it up quite easily given exposure to it. Then having migrated to USA and been on the workforce for long, my English improved tremendously but still I wouldn't call it a 'convent English'. But I scored University 1st in my M.Sc degree and I switched my lines to do MS in Software Engineering in which I scored 3.8/4.0 GPA. I am a good programmer.

However my people skills are poor, and my emotional intelligence is rather inadequate. So seeing all these put together in a single perspective as 'intelligence' I would say with certainty that any education becomes complete only when it is capable of addrressing all these given parameters within the budding student and encourage him/her become better overall. You could say it pains me to see all these convent educated ones alone being glorified in India, which in the past had the glorious and famous Nalanda University, whose people are bright to send a 'Mangalyan' to Mars within first attempt with 1/10th of the cost that for example, USA would have spent.

In my observation, English has reached a place far beyond what it deserves in India. This needs to be tamed down.

In my observation, English has reached a place far beyond what it deserves in India. This needs to be tamed down.

Saudari JR,

Saya setuju 100% dengan analisa anda.

Kita seharusnya mengunakan bahasa negara sendiri lebih daripada Bahasa Inggeris.

Tetapi kita masih menaip dalam Bahasa Inggeris. Kenapa?

Post no #7 is to tame the usage of English.

Meaning of post No #7

Dear JR,

I agree 100% with your analysis.

We should use the language of our nation more than Emglish.

But yet we still type in English. Why?

JRji

Convent educated ladies are glorified not for their intelligence but for their looks and they are also dumb which makes men feel superior and protective towards them.

Tamils would like to say "I love you' in english to these types not the long winded tamil sentence expressing love.

So love in english and use hate/ abusive words in tamil after marriage makes one healthy wealthy and wise.lol

JRji

Convent educated ladies are glorified not for their intelligence but for their looks and they are also dumb which makes men feel superior and protective towards them.

Tamils would like to say "I love you' in english to these types not the long winded tamil sentence expressing love.

So love in english and use hate/ abusive words in tamil after marriage makes one healthy wealthy and wise.lol

Dear Krish ji,

There a Hindi TV serial on Zee channel which is called Neeli Chatre Wale.

My mum watches is and the story is about a guy called Bhagavandas and his relationship with Lord Shiva.

Lord Shiva appears to him and talks to him and guides him.

Ok in yesterday's episode Bhagawandas asked Lord Shiva why God made woman so beautiful.

Lord Shiva replied "So that you will love her"

The again he asked Lord Shiva "but why did you make woman less intelligent?"

Lord Shiva replied 'so that she will love you"

Ha Ha Ha..that was some superb answer!LOL

So men should be happy that women are dumb enough to love them!LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back