• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Does tamil have a word for Heart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all

Is it true that Tamils are "heartless" people?

My friend says that there is no word in Tamil to say 'heart'.
I also looked at the Tamil dictionary and Index of Cankam Tamil Literature and there is only ithayam and iruthayam which are Tamilized Sanskrit words.

I knew that some people say that Tamil is a "faceless" language because there is no Tamil word for face. We use the Sanskrit word Mukam/muham.I dont find Muunji in Tamil literature. Muunji and moharai are colloquial. (But I must add Tamil Etymological dictionary by two famous Sanskrit scholars T Burrow and M B Emenau say that mukam is a Tamil word.But others object to it quoting earlier Sanskrit works that used this word)

They used to say that Sanskrit is a mouthless language, because there is no word for mouth in Sanskrit.Mukam is used for both mouth and face in Sanskrit.

Does kuruththu mean heart in Tamil because heart looks like kuruththu and the blood is kuruthi. But I need proof to give a slap on my friend's face.

Can anyone help me?

Last edited:

முகம் என்பது வதனம். சிவகவி என்ற திரைப்படத்திற்கு 'முகமது சந்த்ர பிம்பமோ' என்று எழுதிய பாடலை,

'வதனமே சந்த்ர பிம்பமோ' என்று மாற்றியதாகக் கேட்டுள்ளேன்!

Dear Rajiram

When Mohammed's name and moon appeared in the same line in the old Tamil song, Muslims objected to it and the Tamil producers changed the lines.That is an old story.
But MUKAM AND VADHANAM -BOTH ARE SANSKRIT WORDS

Hi
NENJU ,MARBU are in Tamil. Heart attack is MARADAIPPU.
Bharathi sang Nenju Porukkuthillaiye,indha nilai ketta manitharai ninainththuvittaal....
But yet it is not yet the word for heart.
In Tamil Medical books they write only Ithaya Noy for heart disease.No one writes Maarbu Noy or Nenju Noy.

When Kaathalan goes to appease his Kaathali he cant say Hello my Nenje, Maarbe.
He has to use En Ithayame!Anbe!Aruyire! Is in it?

he art=heart. why its not she art=sheart.so tamil appadithaan.hridayam is heart.maarbu s chest area or just chest.chest congestion is maarbu-adaippu.actually poery is different from literal meaning.ellamay emotion thaan.

Dear all

Is it true that Tamils are "heartless" people?

My friend says that there is no word in Tamil to say 'heart'.
I also looked at the Tamil dictionary and Index of Cankam Tamil Literature and there is only ithayam and iruthayam which are Tamilized Sanskrit words.

I knew that Tamil is a "faceless" language because there is no Tamil word for face. We use the Sanskrit word Mukam/muham.I dont find Muunji in Tamil literature. Muunji and moharai are colloquial.

Sanskrit is a mouthless language, because there is no word for mouth in Sanskrit.Mukam is used for both mouth and face in Sanskrit.

Does kuruththu mean heart in Tamil because heart looks like kuruththu and the blood is kuruthi. But I need proof to give a slap on my friend's face.

Can anyone help me?

Sri.Swaminathan, Greetings.

முகம், இதயம். வதனம் போன்ற வார்த்தைகள் தமிழ் மொழியிலிருந்து சமஸ்க்ருத மொழிக்கு சென்றிருக்கலாம் அல்லவா? I would consider all possibilities. Tamizh language is an ever evolving language. We can't really say Tamizh language was restricted only in the southern part of the sub-continent. One has to consider that too.

Cheers!

'நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே', 'நெஞ்சம் மறப்பதில்லை' என்று திரைப்படங்கள் வந்தன. இதில் நெஞ்சம் என்பது

இதயம் இல்லை, மனமே. ஆனாலும். பொதுவாக நெஞ்சு வலி என்று சொல்கின்றார்களே தவிர இதய வலி என்று

சொல்லி நான் கேட்டதே இல்லை! இதய நோய் வந்தவர்களுக்குத் தோன்றுவது நெஞ்சு வலி. அதனால்தான்

இதயம் = நெஞ்சம் என்றேன்.

Greetings.

I request Sri.Praveen and Sri. Swaminathan to consider, please.

The title of this thread is misguiding. If Tamizh does not have the word for 'heart', then Tamizh language can be debated as 'heartless language'; it has nothing to do with Tamil people. It doesn't sound right to say 'Tamil people are heartless people'.

Cheers!

Hi
Linguists and scientists never accept any guess work. They always look for proof and evidence. Two famous scholars did some research on Tamil etymology and produced the first etymological dictionary for Tamil where we have 5000 words. The scholars Emeneau and Burrow followed some rules in Linguistics. I even object to one or two words in their dictionary. So unless there is some proof we cant accept. Ithayam and vadahanam are Sanskrit words
Hrt- gave the English word Heart.
Hrt- gave the Tamil word Hruthayam
Vadha is a Sanskrit verb Vadhanthi may "They say".
That is why when there is any rumour we use the Sanskrit word Vadhanthi (they say) We did not know who said- that is a rumour.

Mukam is classified as a Tamil word by Burrow and Emeneau. It is used in Marathi as well. But even before Tamils used it Sanskrit writers used it. Now the question is who borrowed from whom.It is debatable.

Hi
I completely agree with you. That was a quote from my friend. That is why I used it as such. If one reads Manikkavasagar's TIRUVASAGAM anyone will call the Tamils the kindest people in the world. Vallalar Ramalinga Swamigal said -Vaadiya payirai kanda pothellaam vaadinen- whenever I saw a withered plant I also withered- No one can match this.Tamils are kind. The question here is simple.What is the word for heart in Tamil?

Hi
I completely agree with you. That was a quote from my friend. That is why I used it as such. If one reads Manikkavasagar's TIRUVASAGAM anyone will call the Tamils the kindest people in the world. Vallalar Ramalinga Swamigal said -Vaadiya payirai kanda pothellaam vaadinen- whenever I saw a withered plant I also withered- No one can match this.Tamils are kind. The question here is simple.What is the word for heart in Tamil?

One Shri N.S. Rajaram, an Indian, has written that many sanskrit words owe their roots to indigenous dialects like Munda. It is quite possible that neither sanskritists nor the Sangham tamils had heart, face or mouth but they owe it to some unsung tribal people like the mundas, to learn the words for these. Shri Swaminathan may like to contact shri N.S. Rajaram.

திருமதி ராஜி ராம் கூறியுள்ள படி "நெஞ்சு" என்ற சொல்லே இதயம் என்ற சொல்லுக்கு இணையான தமிழ் சொல் என கருதுகிறேன்
ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களுரு

அன்புடையீர்

நெஞ்சு என்பது சரியாக இருக்குமானால் எங்கெல்லாம் இதயம்
வருகிறதோ அதை நீக்கிவிட்டு நெஞ்சு என்பதைப் போட்டால்
சரியாக இருக்கவேண்டும். எனக்கு heart operation என்னும் இடத்தில்
நெஞ்சு ஆபரேஷன் என்று சொல்ல முடியாது.

இருதய நோயாளிகள் என்ற ஆஸ்பத்திரி போர்டை எடுத்துவிட்டு
நெஞ்சு நோயாளிகள் என்றும் போட முடியாது. என் இதயமே
என்று குழந்தையையோ காதலியையோ கொஞ்சும் இடத்திலும்
இது பொருந்தாது. அகத்தியர் வைத்திய நூல்கள், சித்த வைத்திய
நுல்களில் நான் பார்த்த வரை இல்லை. இதற்கு மெத்தப்
படித்த தமிழ் அறிஞர்கள்தான் பதில் சொல்ல முடியும்.

ஆங்கிலத்தில் இந்தப் பிள்ளை எத்தனையாவது பிள்ளை என்று கேட்க முடியாது
என்று சொல்வார்கள். ஒரு வேளை தமிழில் இதயம் என்று சொல்லமுடியாதோ?

எச்சொல் மற்றவர்களுக்கு எளிதாக புரியுமோ அச்சொல்லே உபயோகத்தில் இருக்கவேண்டும் என்பதில் எனக்கும் உடன்பாடு , ஆக "இதயம்" என்ற சொல்லை heart என்ற ஆங்கில சொல்லுக்கு இணையாக உபயோகிக்கலாம்.

ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களூர்

london,

we can wordsmith ourselves to extinction.

the purpose of communication, is to express oneself, to be understood, and to be understood in the same sense that one expresses.

if you want to call a spade, a spade, it is ok. or if you want to call a spade, a heart, so too it is ok, as long as it is meant to be understood that way, and the addressee understands it the same.

words, also are a factor of time. why, in my own lifetime, what was once a happy jovial innocent word, has turned its meaning to something topsyturvy. i could not ever fathom as to why that happened, but universally today, the word G-A-Y, by default means a homosexual person, and not the original happy carefree guy.

so be care if you term yourself in a 'gay' frame of mind. have a heart, i say, and bear with us (patience, not the animal) :)

Dear Kunjuppu

There is a natural law-CHANGE IS INEVITABLE. Everything in the world must change.Nothing can remain static.This is natural law.Your dress, your food habits, your language, your cultural values, your city everything is changing. Words also change the meaning in course of time. In Tamil hundreds of words have changed its meaning.I can give you a long list. Our script has evolved in two thousand years. If Tiruvalluvar comes alive tomorrow he cant read Tirukkural from any Tamil book. Tamil script has changed so much. So meaning change is not restricted to English alone.

A LANGUGAE CHANGES EVERY TWO HUNDRED MILES

A LANGUAGE CHANGES EVERY TWO HUNDRED YEARS

So stop worrying about the word GAY

london,

you missed my point, dear sir.

i was not worried about 'gay'. i was worried about you being worried that there is no 'heart' in tamil.

instead of wordsmithing, or hunting for the unhuntable, let me pose you a challenge. why dont you, a tamil scholar and teacher, come up with a word for 'heart' in tamil.

yours truly, if not anyone else, will assume it, and use it in all the contexts where 'heart' needs to be used. in tamil ofcourse. :)

Shri NN - He art is heart. She art (shear the t), she shears the heart! In both the words 'ear' is sandwiched. The first one is only to listen; the second one only to hang valued golds/diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back