• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dancing to a divisive tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

After the war, they saw the potential of creating a more peaceful world by inviting students from the “enemy” countries — Germany, Italy, Japan — to live with American families and attend high school, and by sending American students to live with these former adversaries. Thus began an extraordinary experiment in inter-cultural learning that has now expanded to many more countries. I was privileged to be an AFS student more than four decades ago, and it transformed my life. It allowed me to open my eyes, ears, heart and mind to relish differences and be hopeful about a world that is increasingly more connected.

There was an upsetting e-mail from my sister-in-law, who was visiting Ahmedabad from San Francisco. She lamented: “whatever happened to Garba [the Gujarati folk dance performed all over the State during the nine days before the Diwali holidays] as a cultural celebratory form?” She enclosed a newspaper article that said that in some parts of the State, there were declarations that Garba was to be exclusively for Hindus. What does that mean? Jains, Parsis, Sikhs, or Muslims are not allowed? And how are you going to check the religious identity of people who may like to participate in this more-popular-than-ever festival-cum-dance party?

The more upsetting feature of the declaration was that this was happening in Mandvi in Kuchh, one of the more plural districts of the State, where Muslims and Hindus have lived harmoniously for centuries. Muslims have celebrated Diwali and have participated in Navaratri Garba dances. The ultra right wing of the Bharatiya Janata Party aims specifically to exclude Muslims, by requiring all participants to be splashed with gaumutra and adorned with large tilaks, thus hardening the communal lines. What I find particularly distressing about this trend of sharper focus on caste, religion, and ethnicity is the promotion of divisiveness rather than the idea of “E Pluribus Unum”, one in many.
Just when the world desperately needs the idea of mutual respect necessary for living side by side by in an interdependent world, how sad that in a naturally pluralistic society like India, there is a growing tendency to further segregate groups and fight for only one’s own community, be it the Patidar group, or yet another vote bank group. And often it is stoked by political parties simply to win elections.
Mahatma Gandhi once said: “Be the change you want to see in the world.” The world needs to see a democratic and plural country like India take the lead in promoting the idea of unity in diversity. India can take charge of this movement in promoting global citizenship, or it can stoop to create exclusionary practices to bar non-Hindus from Garba and confuse the cultural dimensions of a great folk tradition with narrow religious prejudices.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/dancing-to-a-divisive-tune/article7762229.ece?homepage=true

To a large section of Indians, India is the world. To it may not matter what others think about Indians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back