• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Curriculum and Uniform Dress in our Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNANA SUNYAM

Since the dawn of the second half of the twentieth century, we found mushroom growth of 'convent' schools invariably run by christians where it is mandatory to wear a uniform dress which in almost in every school consists of shoe, socks, tie, shirts tucked in.

besides, most of these schools are affiliated either to central board of secondary education or indian council of school education or matriculation syllabus or anglo-indian board of education.

if it is anything other than tamil nadu state board of education, we found young children, even in the hot sun, wearing ties, shoes, socks, struggling with a heavy load of books and notebooks, hardly used during the day, on the way to school. furthermore, they make themselves sandwich on the way up to school and also on the way back home from school. this takes a toll on their mental health also. back home they are further burdened with a heavy homework and parental pressure to score high marks, excel in school.

why is a tie worn, a shoe insisted. these are western style uniform dresses, mandated in western countries for the mere reason, it suits their climate, where the weather is cold most part of the year.

but is it required in our cities and towns, especially madras where the weather is hot, hotter and hottest?. one reason the school administration gives is, it looks professional, clean and neat and tidy to the eyes.

it is good to have a uniform dress for all students, but should it be western? Should it not be Indian.

'looks professional', 'looks neat and tidy and posh' etc are just perception and un-acceptable reasons. in the end our children are needlessly struggling. after all, children go to study and to learn and not to show off with their dresses. neither wearing of shoe and tie enhances learning nor wearing indian dress suppresses learning skills. ultimately students of all schools, regardless of the board of education, end up in same college, like all rivers ending up in same ocean.

if only our politicians, who spend significant time struggling to hold on to power by overt and covert means, bring in law or impose rules and reforms instead, on schools to refrain from troubling, harassing and torturing children with needless burdens, they would do a great favor to the students in particular and to society in general.

all it needs is a change of mindset and mentality, an effort to free the mind from imperial slavery. we are independent only politically but still under bondage to customs and traditions imposed on us by the imperialists.

Last edited:
most of these schools which are run by christians, are influenced by western thinking. this disease has contagiously caught up also with non-christian educationists who run the non-state-board-education schools.

I am not against christians running schools. I give full credit to the discipline they enforce on students. In Madras, schools like Don Bosco, St Michael's Academy, St Patricks etc have nevertheless produced gems.

less to say about curriculum, which is too heavy. the syllabus and curriculum in current day high schools is far too advanced when compared to that during the first half of 20th century. for example much of what is being taught in science subjects in 10th standard are of use only for those who pursue engineering. in mathematics, for example, of all that is being taught till 10th std, we carry only arithmetic and little bit of algebra, for use in our day to day life or career. the rest is waste of time. for instance trigonometry, quadratic equations, calculus etc are not needed in 10th std at all.

Last edited:
I have a question to every one in this forum.

How much of what you studied in school do you remember now? How much of it do you use for your current career, be it banking, or marketing, or Information Technology, be it programming or systems analysis?

I am very very successful IT professional. All that I needed for this, of all that I studied in school and college, is some arithmetic, communication skills in English and some common sense.

I remember one incident in school. My chemistry teacher, who was a very strict teacher, on one occasion beat us with cane and the pain lasted the whole day. all for what! some of us in class could not say by heart, all the elements in one of the columns in the periodic table. and this is only one of such numerous instances during school, which caused us immense pain only in vain.

Last edited:
hi

my experience abt public school system of USA....my son studied from pre kg to high school now...we have three types

of schools...elementary/middle /high school ...even though my daughter upto high school in delhi/chennai...here

the school system free education with free bus/some cases free lunch too...i wont appreciate much abt school system in USA..

still far better than indian convent education in a govt school system here...but college/university system is far good..

pre kg to 12th....its free....

Firstly , the uniforms -in delhi there are separate uniforms for summer and winter.

Woollens for winter and cotton in summer.

It is salwar kameez and skirt options for girls

However full shirts and full pants [cotton or woollen] for boys.

Even govt school kids get excellent uniforms [given by the govt]

Sweaters are given for winter.

Tie one could say a western concept.

For girls it is only dupatta over salwar kameez and tie for shirts with skirts.

As for education it is rote learning in subjects. We still force kids to memorise maths multiplication tables.

If subjects other than arithmetic are taught, it is for the purpose of wholesome education.

Later chemistry stream with biology is useful for medical and inter discplinary areas such as biochemistry.

We do not have separate streams for prospective engineers or doctors.

We have science , arts and commerce streams though.

Maths is not arithmetic alone. Its a little more. We are not preparing students for keeping household accounts alone or becoming munshi in IT firms[ though many engg

graduates become that in IT firms]

Most think talking in indian english is good communication. This is a mindset of fellows in IT companies.

I know many programmers discussing computer programming problems in telugu or tamil with english technical words thrown in.

They are also effective communicaters- They use the local obscene words instead of the f.. word.

They are no less effective communicaters.

Do not blame the indian system.

It is the best for our local conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back