• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Clarification of Dharbas

Namaskarams,
Regarding usage of dharbas.....I find, several people mentioning as 2 dhabha pavithram/2 darba koorcham etc etc.
What I know is - 01 dharba during death rituals / 02 dharbas for auspicioius ceremonies and 03 dharbas for punyakalams like shradham and tharpanam.
Kindly clarify which is correct as per our shastras so that this confusion is removed for good.
Thanks
Kannan Iyer

Namaskarams,
Regarding usage of dharbas.....I find, several people mentioning as 2 dhabha pavithram/2 darba koorcham etc etc.
What I know is - 01 dharba during death rituals / 02 dharbas for auspicioius ceremonies and 03 dharbas for punyakalams like shradham and tharpanam.
Kindly clarify which is correct as per our shastras so that this confusion is removed for good.
Thanks
Kannan Iyer

I am not a traditionalist.
But you are right.

The count of leaves depends upon the function that is held viz. for some functions related to death only single leaf Dharbai is used; for auspicious and daily routine a ring made of two leaves is used; for inauspicious but not death related functions, (i.e. Amavasya Tharpanam, Pithru Pooja etc.) a three-leaf Dharbai ring is used and for the Temple Prayer and Pooja, a four-leaf Dharbai ring is used.

I am not a traditionalist.
But you are right.

The count of leaves depends upon the function that is held viz. for some functions related to death only single leaf Dharbai is used; for auspicious and daily routine a ring made of two leaves is used; for inauspicious but not death related functions, (i.e. Amavasya Tharpanam, Pithru Pooja etc.) a three-leaf Dharbai ring is used and for the Temple Prayer and Pooja, a four-leaf Dharbai ring is used.

Thank you Shri Prasad,
Though I was aware of these, due to the confusion created in my mobile posts, where even some Sastrigal are time and again quoting 2 dharbas for Tharpanams , even I got confused.
May be, it was by oversight and I do not wish to blame anybody on the subject, but as brahmins, we must all be aware of these basic facts, though we might not have studies vedas.
Thanks once again.
Kannan Iyer

Namaskarams,
As per Sastras, it is said that, one must practice the veda in which he is born i.e. even the mantras, sandhyavandhanam and other vedic rituals.
I belong to Sama Vedha, but didn't learn from in childhood. But I practice thrikala Sandhya vandhanam and other vedic rituals including Shradham and Tharpanams.
My question is, since I have not learnt Sama Vedham, I am chanting Gayatri Japam like Yajur Vedis.
Is this correct, and if wrong, how to correct this long standing mistake on my part.
Thank you
Kannan Iyer

Namaskarams,
I am performing Hiranya Shradham for my parents since my wife is not there.
Also, I do not own a home on my own. I perform these shradhams in madams and other well kept places as suggested by Sastrigal. However, as is the practice, I adhere to Brahmana Bhojanam and luckily so far I have managed as laid down in our Sastras.
Although I am paying the dakshinas as requested by the Sastrigals, I have often found that they do not perform the kriya honestly and many of them differ from one another.
Firstly, I do not understand, why this should be done. Secondly, I think, since I have not learnt vedhas, these people take me for granted instead of helping perform the Shradham satisfactorily.
I understand that Shradham gets the right meaning only by performing homam or Aubasanam as is the term and is complete when performed with my wife on my side.
In an inevitable situation as mine, how correct is the behaviour of our respected Sastrigal.
I have never underpaid the dakshninas or restrained myself of the expenses by giving a small amount plus the dhanas.
I believe, this is the main reason, why people have lost faith in performing these important pithru kriyas like Shradham and Tharpanam to one's elders.
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer

Namaskarams,
Also, I do not own a home on my own. I perform these shradhams in madams and other well kept places as suggested by Sastrigal. However, as is the practice, I adhere to Brahmana Bhojanam and luckily so far I have managed as laid down in our Sastras.
Although I am paying the dakshinas as requested by the Sastrigals, I have often found that they do not perform the kriya honestly and many of them differ from one another.
Firstly, I do not understand, why this should be done. Secondly, I think, since I have not learnt vedhas, these people take me for granted instead of helping perform the Shradham satisfactorily.
I understand that Shradham gets the right meaning only by performing homam or Aubasanam as is the term and is complete when performed with my wife on my side.
In an inevitable situation as mine, how correct is the behaviour of our respected Sastrigal.
I have never underpaid the dakshninas or restrained myself of the expenses by giving a small amount plus the dhanas.
I believe, this is the main reason, why people have lost faith in performing these important pithru kriyas like Shradham and Tharpanam to one's elders.
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer
I agree with you. It is our mistake that we didn't learn vedas sanskrit etc at young age which would help us in such situations. Luckily the Vadhyar who comes to my house to perform Sharadham, Amavasaya etc is perfection personified that he will not tolerate even small error in pronunciation & will ask me repeat. It is rare to get such persons.

I wish there is a guideline for the vaidikas from the most respected madams like the Sharadha peetam of Kanchipuram and Sringeri, the Sri Rangam etc etc on the performance of various rituals be it good or bad.
I do agree that, the basic fault lies in the brahmin community and except a few many do not even perform the Thri kala sandhyavandhanam.
So, how do we expect vaidikas to be honest??
But all said and done I believe these guidelines are a must and also hold responsibility on the community itself to adhere to these vedic principles.

Namaskarams,
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer
Agree with you on the habits of the brahmanas who come to perform rituals - Its indeed very rare to find a sastrigal [ young or old ] who officiates with Sraddhai - I have had bad experiences with them on 2 occasions - my mother-in-law's death as well as my mother's death - also with the regular srardhams for my father-in-law : every time, without exception, the dakshinai's would be enhanced and especially when it is the 13 day ceremonies after a death, the demands were horrendous ; agreed they have to make a living , and times are difficult, but there should be some rhyme or reason , but the sastrigals should also not be greedy; they seem to be playing on our sentiments that after a loved one's death we will give whatever they ask for - they take one look at your address or house and fix their fees on that !
I also have been feeling that the matadhipatis should take a stance and have some guidelines on the dakshinais to be paid for the charamakriyas. Some regularity should be there , and I also feel that if guidelines come from [let's say] Kanchi or Sringeri , there will not be so much of " fleecing ".
I am sure many people will disagree with me and take me to task for speaking out against the "poor Vadhyars " - but I have never had, nor will have any problem giving to the really needy brahmins !
Please tell me how many Sastrigals pay income tax ? And when demonetisation came they were really hard hit !
P.S. : I am a deeply religious person and always adhere to the rituals and practices of day to day life - just in case somebody trolls me for being "anti brahmin" !

Namaskarams,
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer
Superb sir, I face the same difficulty in Triplicane Chennai, Each one has his own version and says he is right. we have no option but to do the rites as told by them.

Sorry, we have digressed from the main topic.
Most of the comments are about Sastrigals.

I assume we have a very high expectation of a "profession", Vadiyar is a profession.
If you take your Rolls Royce car to a local mechanic, he can fix the tires, or check the hoses and get you back on the road. You can not expect the same mechanic to build you a new Rolls Royce car for Rs 50,000.

Fortunately, the mechanic will laugh at the stupidity of expectation, but a Sastrigal can not do that, so they pretend to give an explanation or improvises an explanation.

When I call a carpenter, I do not expect him/her to do brain surgery.

So, if you think you know more than the Sastrigal you hired, hire a better Sastrigal next time.
I do not mean to be rude, and I am not defending any Sastrigal.
We have to manage our expectations.

Sorry, we have digressed from the main topic.
Most of the comments are about Sastrigals.

I assume we have a very high expectation of a "profession", Vadiyar is a profession.
If you take your Rolls Royce car to a local mechanic, he can fix the tires, or check the hoses and get you back on the road. You can not expect the same mechanic to build you a new Rolls Royce car for Rs 50,000.

Fortunately, the mechanic will laugh at the stupidity of expectation, but a Sastrigal can not do that, so they pretend to give an explanation or improvises an explanation.

When I call a carpenter, I do not expect him/her to do brain surgery.

So, if you think you know more than the Sastrigal you hired, hire a better Sastrigal next time.
I do not mean to be rude, and I am not defending any Sastrigal.
We have to manage our expectations.

hi
i agreed sir.... So, if you think you know more than the Sastrigal you hired, hire a better Sastrigal next

time. dont just complaining....pay more....get service more....

Namaskaram ! In the current corona times or in regions where vadhiyars are not available/accessible, can we not have a ‘do-it-yourself’ annual shradha mantrams and procedures on youtube or any medium? The karta will do it with much more devotion (like we do amavasya tarpanams on our own) and without the disappointment of not being anle to do it on the tithi. As for brahmins required (2 brahmins) he can invite from his neighbourhood or friend circle. So please can anyone learned in this forum here suggest any learning material for the annual Shraddha kariyams? I am happy to learn than engage vadhyars in the sorrounding circumstances. Thank you ,Shiva

Please Visit

I am pretty sure you can find may more.

My priest will conduct the whole thing remotely for a fee. If interested please PM me.

Please Visit

I am pretty sure you can find may more.

My priest will conduct the whole thing remotely for a fee. If interested please PM me.

The issue here seems to be about service rendered not to expectations.
So its about looking for more conducive alternatives and keeping in mind to be fair to service provider(priest) and client.

One thing we all as humans had to gulp during the lockdown Covid 19 is that whatever we were dependent on externally had to be done away with.

May be we can all use this valuable lesson in life to be more self dependent as much as we can and keeping God as our guide.

Its not as easy becos we humans prefer to praise or blame everything external to us but its a good start to find self dependent alternative solutions.

I required koorcham, pavithram for tharpanas. and some times Poonal,. When I requested my aged vadhyar. he suggested me to get from .........Stores When I went there, the koorcham etc were touched and given by இதராள். Though I have no animosity towards them, when it comes to Pitru karyam, my mind hesitates. What can I do? Can I clean it in water and use for tharpanam. Kindly enlighten me, Thanks and regard

Namaskarams,
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer
I think your self righteous attitude is not correct. If you do not know the mantras and rituals , you must have full trust in your Sastrigal and cannot keep doubting their intentions. There may be slight differences in performing the shraddhas from pundit to pundit . This happens sometimes when you engage a Telugu Sastrigal for a Tamil Brahmin shraddha. The variations are minimal and in no way reduce the importance and significance of the ritual. If you are not a doctor and has some WA knowledge on medical procedures , you cannot doubt whether the doctor is giving correct treatment to you or not. That will only cause you unnecessary mental tension and dissatisfaction. Please engage a priest with good reference and once engaged have unflinching faith in the priest to perform the ritual properly. Some people have the tendency to doubt everything . One should not fall prey to such mind set. My words may sound harsh , but truth must be driven home.

I think your self righteous attitude is not correct. If you do not know the mantras and rituals , you must have full trust in your Sastrigal and cannot keep doubting their intentions. There may be slight differences in performing the shraddhas from pundit to pundit . This happens sometimes when you engage a Telugu Sastrigal for a Tamil Brahmin shraddha. The variations are minimal and in no way reduce the importance and significance of the ritual. If you are not a doctor and has some WA knowledge on medical procedures , you cannot doubt whether the doctor is giving correct treatment to you or not. That will only cause you unnecessary mental tension and dissatisfaction. Please engage a priest with good reference and once engaged have unflinching faith in the priest to perform the ritual properly. Some people have the tendency to doubt everything . One should not fall prey to such mind set. My words may sound harsh , but truth must be driven home.
Beg to differ from you on one account - the questioner didn't seem to have any "self righteous attitude " but seemed to have an honest query. I have myself felt the discrimination done by the sastrigals on various occasions, esp when it comes to Srardham / pitru karyam. The so- called differences between Telugu speaking & Tamil brahmins is minimal, whether one understands the mantras or not . What do you do when the young sastrigal keeps on mispronouncing your Gothra , regardless of the language ? - how many times do you correct him? - Mind you this was a "certified, qualified person " !

Namaskarams,
As per Sastras, it is said that, one must practice the veda in which he is born i.e. even the mantras, sandhyavandhanam and other vedic rituals.
I belong to Sama Vedha, but didn't learn from in childhood. But I practice thrikala Sandhya vandhanam and other vedic rituals including Shradham and Tharpanams.
My question is, since I have not learnt Sama Vedham, I am chanting Gayatri Japam like Yajur Vedis.
Is this correct, and if wrong, how to correct this long standing mistake on my part.
Thank you
Kannan Iyer
just find out from a Saama vaedhi if there is any difference in the Gayatri to be chanted - I don't think the Gayatri has any change from one vaedam to another.

I required koorcham, pavithram for tharpanas. and some times Poonal,. When I requested my aged vadhyar. he suggested me to get from .........Stores When I went there, the koorcham etc were touched and given by இதராள். Though I have no animosity towards them, when it comes to Pitru karyam, my mind hesitates. What can I do? Can I clean it in water and use for tharpanam. Kindly enlighten me, Thanks and regard
Sorry to sound irreverent - but do you know if a "Brahmin " and not a person of another caste went to harvest the Dharbbhai where it grew ? It didn't come out of the ground by itself to the store shelf, did it ? The thread that is used for the yagnopaveetam would have been woven by a weaver , who definitely would not have been a Brahmin. Same way for everything ! Please dont look into the origin of every thing where,, how and when it came from- waste of time and energy. And, please, the concept of " itharAL" itself is wrong - one is a Brahmin by what he does and how he lives , not just by his birth alone .

sir, what you are doing is correct. for all brahmins only one gayatri mantras. for vysyas and kshathrias only another gayatri mantra. and they also have to do daily three times. chant gayatri japam like this daily.

1. om 2. bhurbhuvas suvaha 3 thathsavithurvaraenyam. 4. bargho devasya dheemahi 5.dhiyoyonaha prachothayaath.

daily you have to do brahma yagnam after madhyanikam. do regularly shradham and tharpanams.

for pavithram one for praetha karyam, two for ceremonies and rituals, and three for pithru tharpanam and sratham. you can get from www. kalanchery.com poonals prepared by students there in veda patasala. you can get pure vibhuthi, and pavithrams and koorchams.. prepared by the students of the veda patasala.

for one koorcham 7 or 9 darbhas are required .
for yajur vedam aapasthsampa sutram i have uploaded sratham proceedures and mantras. now books are available in www.giri trading agencies for sratham. you have to buy it. go through them several times, by heart it. you have to chant. then the vadhyar will chant them. tell the vadhyar that it is your aaththu pazakkam.

their address:- your family friend. 2/205 agraharam kalanchery post thanjavur 613504. watts app no. 63745 04417. mobile 96266 36650; 96266 37780; 96266 37790. [email protected] they are having paytm. googlepay; phone pe , phone no. 76395 88146. and also they are having current account in indian overseas bank saliya mangalam branch.

Sorry to sound irreverent - but do you know if a "Brahmin " and not a person of another caste went to harvest the Dharbbhai where it grew ? It didn't come out of the ground by itself to the store shelf, did it ? The thread that is used for the yagnopaveetam would have been woven by a weaver , who definitely would not have been a Brahmin. Same way for everything ! Please dont look into the origin of every thing where,, how and when it came from- waste of time and energy. And, please, the concept of " itharAL" itself is wrong - one is a Brahmin by what he does and how he lives , not just by his birth alone .
வணக்கம் சார், தங்கள் கருத்து சரிதான். பித்ரு காரியம் சமயம், நாம் ஆசாரமாக இருப்பதால் , என்னுடைய சந்தேகத்தை வெளியிட்டிருந்தேன். தங்கள் கருத்து பொதுவானது. மிக்க நன்றி சார்.

sir, what you are doing is correct. for all brahmins only one gayatri mantras. for vysyas and kshathrias only another gayatri mantra. and they also have to do daily three times. chant gayatri japam like this daily.

1. om 2. bhurbhuvas suvaha 3 thathsavithurvaraenyam. 4. bargho devasya dheemahi 5.dhiyoyonaha prachothayaath.

daily you have to do brahma yagnam after madhyanikam. do regularly shradham and tharpanams.

for pavithram one for praetha karyam, two for ceremonies and rituals, and three for pithru tharpanam and sratham. you can get from www. kalanchery.com poonals prepared by students there in veda patasala. you can get pure vibhuthi, and pavithrams and koorchams.. prepared by the students of the veda patasala.

for one koorcham 7 or 9 darbhas are required .
for yajur vedam aapasthsampa sutram i have uploaded sratham proceedures and mantras. now books are available in www.giri trading agencies for sratham. you have to buy it. go through them several times, by heart it. you have to chant. then the vadhyar will chant them. tell the vadhyar that it is your aaththu pazakkam.

their address:- your family friend. 2/205 agraharam kalanchery post thanjavur 613504. watts app no. 63745 04417. mobile 96266 36650; 96266 37780; 96266 37790. [email protected] they are having paytm. googlepay; phone pe , phone no. 76395 88146. and also they are having current account in indian overseas bank saliya mangalam branch.
மிக்க நன்றி சார். தாங்கள் கொடுத்த லிங்க்கை தொடர்பு கொண்டு, எனக்கு தேவையானதை பெற்றுக்கொள்கிறேன். தங்களது மனம் உவர்ந்த உதவிக்கு மீண்டும் நன்றி சாய்

Namaskarams,
Thanks and Regards,
Kannan Iyer
There's a book on sradha prayogam written by Sr Somadeva Sarma in the 1950s 1960s. It gives start to end details and steps. Only for understanding purpose. I found it useful. Rs 120. Available on line in Amazon also.

Latest ads

Back