• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

CJI Khehar backs entry of foreign lawyers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we could open up the profession to foreign lawyers on reciprocal basis!!

[h=1]CJI Khehar backs entry of foreign lawyers[/h]

July 08, 2017 20:44

Chief Justice of India J S Khehar on Saturday sought to allay fears of Indian lawyers over the issue of allowing their foreign counterparts practise, saying they are "no less" than offshore attorneys.

He said opening the doors of the courts for foreign lawyers will allow those here to improve themselves.

"I feel that Indian lawyers are no less than any lawyer in the world. Therefore, if we have any apprehension that maybe somebody will come from abroad and snatch our profession and substitute us, I don't think it's going to be like that. I think we will go abroad and snatch their positions," he said.

During his inaugural speech at the 'All India Seminar' organised by the International Law Association in New Delhi, Justice Khehar said, "We will also learn from foreign lawyers.

International exchange of lawyers will improve the system. Once you understand a new system, it will help us to improve ours."

He also referred to the fact that many countries have been approaching India to open its courts for them, but till now, it is non-committal.

"The Bar Council of India is opposing the move. The Advocate Act does not allow foreign lawyers to practise in India. However, it acknowledges that if some country permits Indian lawyers to practise in its jurisdiction, then lawyers from that country can be granted reciprocal privileges in India," the CJI said.

"But, now it appears that the BCI and the Society of Indian Law Firms have agreed in principle that the government's proposal to gradually open the legal profession to foreign lawyers but insist that this should be on
reciprocal basis," he said.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...eign-lawyers/407c48db653ec70ca52eb1797d22847c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back