• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cho Ramaswamy is no more

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
V

vgane

Cho's demise has left a big vacuum as per Auditor Gurumurthy...But under his guidance the weekly magazine Thuglak will shine like a star

Tamil Nadu is poorer with Cho’s demise’

Special Correspondent CHENNAI: January 09, 2017 08:01 IST

TH09_CHO_FUNCTION

N. Ram, Chairman, Kasturi and Sons Ltd., and S. Gurumurthy, Editor of Thuglak magazine, at a remembrance event for Cho Ramaswamy, in Chennai on Sunday. —

Mylapore Club recalls the contribution of ‘Thuqlak’ founder.

The contribution of late Cho S. Ramaswamy, a multi-faceted personality, was recalled at a meeting organised here by the Mylapore Club to celebrate the life and times of the country’s well known political commentator, journalist, actor and satirist, who died last month.
S. Gurumurthy, who took over as editor of Thuglak, founded by Cho, said the latter had a “dimensionless brain”, one that was limitless. It was Cho who exhorted him (Gurumurthy) to write in Tamil. Recalling how he was a shareholder in the magazine in 1988, he said “I came out in 1991 as I was not contributing much.”
Later, in 2002, however, Cho made him a partner again. “I am definitely not as qualified as Cho. He started saying that I should start taking up more responsibility (in the magazine). But I told him he was like a drug to his readers and his humour and knowledge could not be matched,” Mr. Gurumurthy said.
Adding that the responsibility of being the editor of Thuglak was both a difficulty and an opportunity, he said Tamil Nadu was poorer with his demise. “Tamil Nadu should come out of the ‘disgraceful condition’ it is facing now. That would be Cho’s wish,” he said without elaborating.
Mr. N. Ram, Chairman, Kasturi & Sons Ltd, said though their views were often divergent, Cho was a formidable figure. “He was thinking of politics all the time. Sometimes, he would modify his political preferences but he kept his core intact,” Mr. Ram said.
Cho also stood quite steadfast in any discussions on freedom of expression and intolerance by those in power. “He was definitely the first person of any public influence to take a stand on armed militants in Tamil Nadu. At one point, it was an unpopular position to take, but he stood by it. While he sympathised with the cause of Sri Lankan Tamils, he did not support that kind of armed conflict,” Mr. Ram said. He also recalled Cho’s contribution while launching The Hindu Tamil edition. Cho’s friends, R. Neelakantan, Shankar and S.R. Raman also spoke and recalled their association with him.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...o’s-demise’/article17012140.ece?homepage=true

OP
OP
V

vgane

Despite having enormous influence with all leading political leaders, he has not sought any favour, especially any Padma award, a typical Vadama Iyer (per his statement once); but one of my relatives said he belongs to Ashtasahasram Sect.

Sri Chandru,

Cho will get the Padma Bhushan award posthumously..The list was declared a short while ago! His ardent followers need not feel disappointed or disheartened! Though I personally wish that he had got the award when he was alive!!

CHANDRU1849

Sri Chandru,

Cho will get the Padma Bhushan award posthumously..The list was declared a short while ago! His ardent followers need not feel disappointed or disheartened! Though I personally wish that he had got the award when he was alive!!

Sir,

Is it not an insult to Late Cho? What prevented to give this award when he was alive? In what way he is inferior to Left Jalra Ram and BJP Jalra Swapan Das Gupta?

It is not proper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks