• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chennai rains

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wrote this on 12-12-2005.

The deluge was more in 2015 but most of the facts remain the same. :shocked:

இந்திரனின் கோரத் தாண்டவம்…..

அடுக்கு மாடிக் கட்டிடங்கள் ஏரி மீது கட்டினால்

தடுக்க இயலுமா துயரம் நீர் வீட்டை எட்டினால்!

ஏரிகளும் ஆறுகளும் சரியாக அமைத்திருந்தால்
நீரினால் நன்மையே பெற்றிடுவோம் என்றென்றும்!

தூர் வாரா ஏரிகளில் சரணடைய இடமில்லை;
நீர் மீது பழி போட எவ்வித ஞாயமுமில்லை!

சிங்காரச் சென்னை சீரழிந்து கிடக்கிறது;
பொங்கிவரும் வெள்ளத்தால் நிலை குலைந்து நிற்கிறது!

—– ராஜி ராம் —– 12 – 12 – 2005

(குறிப்பு 13 – 12 – 2005 முதல் மழை குறைந்தது!) :rain:

RR Mam,

Well said way back in 2005 !

:clap2:

Raji Madam, Post # 324 is very apt..Especially the following which is the root cause of the problem!

அடுக்கு மாடிக் கட்டிடங்கள் ஏரி மீது கட்டினால்
தடுக்க இயலுமா துயரம் நீர் வீட்டை எட்டினால்!

ஏரிகளும் ஆறுகளும் சரியாக அமைத்திருந்தால்
நீரினால் நன்மையே பெற்றிடுவோம் என்றென்றும்!

தூர் வாரா ஏரிகளில் சரணடைய இடமில்லை;
நீர் மீது பழி போட எவ்வித ஞாயமுமில்லை!

Raji Madam, Post # 324 is very apt..Especially the following which is the root cause of the problem!

Dear Ganesh,

The pity is that no changes have been made in these ten long years!! :sad:

The DMK chief is wanting a judicial commission to probe the opening of Chembarampakkam reservoir! Why not for the unauthorised constructions on lake beds, water reservoirs and tanks..For fear of getting exposed!

While the entire Velachery was submerged the street where his beloved son lives was saved from the gushing water! Why he did not plan anything to prevent the flooding in rest of the areas?

I wrote this on 12-12-2005.

The deluge was more in 2015 but most of the facts remain the same. :shocked:

இந்திரனின் கோரத் தாண்டவம்…..

வீடுகளும் பொருட்களும் அடித்துச் சென்ற வேதனை;
பாடுபடும் ஏழைகளுக்கு மேலும் மேலும் சோதனை!

—– ராஜி ராம் —– 12 – 12 – 2005

(குறிப்பு 13 – 12 – 2005 முதல் மழை குறைந்தது!) :rain:

Nothing seems to have changed in the last decade except for the Chief Ministers who now blame each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week of December 2015 I had been to Chennai on a day's visit. I stayed at Ramapuram area, which was affected much during the recent deluge. To my surprise I saw the area cleaned well and dry. Again while visiting my relatives at Tiruvanmayur, I had to pass through many areas affected by rain, like Kotturpuram, Madya Kailash, I found the results of exemplary work done by TN Government cleaning the area. I wish to record my appreciations and thanks to the people who had planned and executed this job. In many places I saw scores of uniformed workers clearing the silt and rubbish with the help of JCBs and dumpers and tippers.

This could be possible only when you have a strong Leader and committed bureaucrats to do the job. Let us not politicalise every issue. When you compare the conditions of Bangalore you will understand this. The infrastructure of this beautiful Bangalore is breacking up at all fronts. Once a Garden city, now has become a garbage dump.Governance is a continuance of operation and requires good Leadership to guide.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Brahmanyan Sir,

All the parties are trying to politicize the recent deluge but we have to accept that it is NOT due to the heavy rains alone!

And........ regarding cleaning of the city - some areas are given good attention. Our 80 feet road was laid last week but the

storm water drains are still full of blackish water in which even the mosquitoes die without breeding! The nearby roads

are left in a pitiable state and dusty environment causes problems to many people in this area.

BTW, I never open the front room windows ever since the rain stopped in the first week of last month!

A sample case reflecting the efficient functioning of the Tamil Nadu Government is furnished which will speak volume:

And there are series of news items on the above lines are published regularly in dailies and if there is no substance, TN Government is known to file defamation case against the concerned.

Tamil Nadu government yet to give compensation to scavengers

MANUAL-SCAVENGERS.png

CHENNAI: Rehabilitation of manual scavengers in Tamil Nadu seem to be progressing at a snail’s pace as data from Central Government blacklists TN as the only state out of 12 to have done the least. In a written reply to a question in Lok Sabha on Tuesday, minister of state for social justice and empowerment, Vijay Sampla, informed members that rehabilitation of 12,226 manual scavengers officially identified across the country has begun. Under the Self Employment Scheme for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers (SRMS), a one time cash assistance of Rs 40,000 would be given to beneficiaries, which is expected to help them start a different occupation.

Across the country, 7346 scavengers have been given the cash but not even one of them is from Tamil Nadu. The state’s scavenger count stands at 462, with Chennai corporation alone accounting for 252 of them. The municipal administration department categorically stated that it was not responsible for ensuring compensation to the scavengers. “We have completed the survey and issued identity cards. The compensation and rehabilitation is being handled by Adi Dravida and Tribal Welfare (AD&TW) department,” said an official.

Officials in AD&TW told DC that they encountered a ‘slight delay’ in establishing the identity of real beneficiaries and that the Central Government was kept in the loop, a statement echoed by a member of National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK), Lata Mahato. However, developmental activist A. Narayanan, whose PIL enabled Madras high court to direct MAWS authorities to re-conduct the survey on scavengers, ties the issue down to a problem of middle men.

Read more at: http://www.deccanchronicle.com/1512...u-government-yet-give-compensation-scavengers

P.S: ஒரு பானை சோற்றிக்கு ஒரு சோறு பதம்

Last edited by a moderator:
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Monday said the “unprecedented” northeast monsoon has killed 470 people and nearly a lakh livestock besides damaging crops in over 3.83 lakh hectares in the State.
Detailing the large-scale destruction caused by heavy rains in four phases during October-December 2015, Ms. Jayalalithaa recalled her demand for a central assistance of Rs 25,912.45 crore for the relief and restoration works.
Noting that the Central team of Inter-Ministerial officials, which earlier assessed the damage caused in the first three phases of rains, will visit the State again from Tuesday for a similar exercise, she expressed hope the Centre will release the “required” assistance based on its report.
“During the northeast monsoon period between October 1 and 27, as many as 49 persons died. 421 persons died of various reasons, including drowning, electrocution, lightning strike and wall collapse between October 28 and December 31, 2015,” the Chief Minister said in a statement.
The government had provided relief of Rs four lakh each to families of 245 victims and the rest will be covered in the coming days, she said.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...d/article8064739.ece?homepage=true?w=alstates

Rain relief credited on 4th Jan partially and balance on 11th Jan

th05_Rain-relie_TH_2683681f.jpg

Source:The Hindu

Last edited:
The decision taken to credit the bank accounts of the beneficiaries, is a very good one. Otherwise the middlemen would have swallowed more than 50%.

I guess that digital banking along with Aadhaar cards have been the changes that have brought about better transparency & governance!

I guess that digital banking along with Aadhaar cards have been the changes that have brought about better transparency & governance!

For flood relief distribution, Aadhaar card was not made a mandatory requirement.If Aadhaar cards are included in data, the cases of multiple beneficiaries,if any, could be detected.

The speedy disbursement is due to digital banking; i.e. the ECS (Electronic Clearing System).
In this system, even more than one crore accounts destined in different bank branches could be credited by RBI with a matching single consolidated contra debit to Govt account with them or with Treasury Branch of SBI.
All will be done within 10 minutes.

And now the awards..Mohammed Yunus got the Anna award for Gallantrry from CM JJ during the Republic day function.

Now the homeless kids of Triplicane who lent their helping hands, IAS officers Gagandeep, Amudha & Gajalakshmi and Actor Siddharth pwho played a proactive role were recognised by NDTV

Well done!!
http://linkis.com/www.ndtv.com/video/p/EjMIv

A lot of water has passed under the bridge sine the days of Chennai floods and today.People started to forget the havoc.

Moreover, with all diversions, JJ has certainly turned the table to a large extent, in her favour.

Only people who directly suffered much, could not forget and remember it as personal memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back