• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can I do shradham for Periappa?

Hi all,

I am from a Tamil Iyer family. My parents are no more. Recently, I got to know that my Periappa (father's brother) is in coma. While I do pray for the best, I know for a fact that he may not survive long due to his already existing health issues. Now, he has a son who never bothered about him. I don't think he is even in touch with his parents and my Periappa/Periamma also have realised that.

My Periamma recently requested if I could do my Periappa's last rites (if God forbid that happens). Now, can I do shradham for my Periappa in this scenario? His son, for all practical purposes is non-existent. We all belong to the same gothram. My Periappa also has a younger brother. But he is quite old (close to 80).

I heard from someone that only a blood relative of that person should do the last rites and Shradham. In this case, me and my Periappa are from the same gothram no doubt. But we are not exactly blood relatives. Only his son and brother are.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Omi

Latest ads

Back