• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cabinet approves 10% reservation for economically weaker upper castes in government jobs

vgane

The Union Cabinet Monday approved a 10 per cent reservation for 'economically backward' upper castes in government jobs.

Ahead of the General Elections this year, the government has announced reservation in jobs for those belonging to the upper castes and earning less than Rs 8 lakh per year, sources said.

A bill to amend Article 15 and 16 of the constitution will be moved in Parliament to this effect. The Supreme Court has capped the quota for caste-based reservation for government jobs at 50 per cent.

https://news.rediff.com/commentary/2019/jan/07/cabinet-approves-10-quota-for-economically-weaker-upper-castes/86372c44005079ceefe45237d9f62e8e

Brahmanyan

I am not surprised by this move by the Union Cabinet approving a 10 per cent reservation for 'economically backward' upper castes in government jobs. This is a 'knee jerk' reaction of BJP to regain the lost confidence of Upper caste, which they have seen in the recent mid term elections in the Hindi heartland. But whether this will solve the economic disparity is doubtful. Already there are reservation in the form of quota for Government jobs for many categories. Will one more make any difference ?

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

naithru

this is a first step sir, we hope this govt if continues , will abolish reservation on caste basis and bring reservation for weaker families from all castes. Enough of the creamy layers enjoying suppressing the deserved ones.

prasad1

I am not surprised by this move by the Union Cabinet approving a 10 per cent reservation for 'economically backward' upper castes in government jobs. This is a 'knee jerk' reaction of BJP to regain the lost confidence of Upper caste, which they have seen in the recent mid term elections in the Hindi heartland. But whether this will solve the economic disparity is doubtful. Already there are reservation in the form of quota for Government jobs for many categories. Will one more make any difference ?

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
It is desperate move. They know it will fail, it is purely window dressing, that too and wrong in all counts. I am sorry that people fall for it. It is a typical cynical move of Modi.

mkrishna100

There are no jobs in the govt 10% job quota is just a Jumla. Firstly it won’t be passed, if passed courts won’t accept it. Anyway there are no jobs so it won’t benefit anyone in reality.
Bringing it on the last day means it’s not serious in getting it passed. Even if they call a special session it may not be passed. BJP knows that Courts will teject it. But their objective is to give a lollipop to upper caste& get their votes. Modi govt trying to hide its failure by offering quota lollipop.

Brahmanyan

It is my view all reservations and quotas should be abolished for Government jobs. Jobs should go to the deserving candidates.
Reservations are a must for uplifting socially backward. That should be restricted to educate and uplift the Socially backward people.

Let us be honest and confirm whether Elections are fought on the manifestos of Political outfits. Is it not a fact that, money power, freebies, religion, caste groupings, language are used liberally by politicians to gain control of the Government. Now politicians have created a new class of hereditary leaders to rule. Most of the leaders are interested in bringing their family members for getting elected to various power centres, from Panchayat's to Parliament. This 'nepotism' has spread to all the four pillars of constitutional authorities.

Look at the media using Religion and Caste percentage, while writing their predictions on election result. Because it is real.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

KRN

It is an blatant political move and is likely to face issues with the SC. But look at the positive side. Virtually noone is opposing the quota in Parliament. In LS it got passed with 323 Ayes and 3 Noes. I think 2 of them are the Muslim League MPs who have been opposed to it. There is a powerful message the overwhelming majority, that the FCs are a force to contend with, and no major political party can close their eyes to the aspirations of FCs. I think this is a very good message for the future.

Contrast this with the political situation in TN. I think all Dravidian parties of TN oppose the quota.

vgane

I think we should thank not only BJP but also Congress, BSP, JD(U), Shiv Sena, BJD, Akalis ....Also both AIADMK & DMK did not vote against the Bill

vgane

The real test is in Rajya Sabha where NDA does not have majority..It requires 2/3rd passing

KRN

With elections so near, no party would like to be known as the party that scuttled the bill. So, I expect the bill to be passed in Rajya Sabha "with amendments", as the opposition would like to throw it's weight around.

KRN

Thambidurai of AIADMK has spoken opposing the bill, while DMK has no members in LS so, Stalin's opposition doesn't count.

vgane

Now the bill will become law with Presidential assent! A radical step indeed! That all parties have welcomed save the Dravidian hegemonists is a redeeming feature! This legislation is long overdue! Modi has consolidated his core Hindu base! The principal opposition party had no choice but to support it as it was part of their party manifesto! Will it be a game changer for NaNo 2019?

Jaykay767

Once the phony act of development collapsed, it is back to jumlas of reservation etc.. Same old wine in new bottle.

This upper caste Reservation will backfire as it will lead to massive resentment in the dalits and OBCs. The entire concept of reservation came from the need to reverse the caste discrimination. By giving upper caste reservation, it will alienate the other castes and this is already happening if you read do the posts on the social media.

And among upper castes this is o longer an emotive issue and hence had no political and electoral dividend.

The upper caste trader, farmer and businessmen are so upset due to demonetisation and GST, they will vote enmasse against this govt. they are not going to take this lollipop. Lol.

This your can do right, Rahul aka Pappu can do no wrong ! Lol.

My take, this govt will not get even 50 laksabha seats in 2019 elections,

vgane

The President has given accord to this stellar piece of legislation!! Communities (Including mine) which were left out of the reservation were feeling unwanted in the country..This is the first time I am feeling that "I am also needed"...What a relief from the anti forward caste mentality in the country!! Together with all, development for all (sabka sath sabka vikas) has found its true meaning today!!

tbs

hi
just another vote bank jimmick during election....the hands are already burned in rajasthan/madhya pradesh/

jharkand....some sections of jatts/patels problem...not in real issue...the whole reservation system makes

more caste divided...

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts