• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bombay HC says meat ban not apt for modern city like Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bombay HC says meat ban not apt for modern city like Mumbai

September 12, 2015

Changing its stance on the issue, the Brihan mumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) yesterday informed the Bombay High Court that it was withdrawing its decision to impose a ban on slaughter of animals and sale of meat on September 13 and 18. Thursday was the first of the four days of the ban in the eight-day Paryushan period as decided by the BMC and the state government.

Noting the withdrawal, the Court order reads, “Mr. Anil Singh, learned Advocate General and Mr. Walawalkar, learned Senior Advocate, now on instructions, make a statement that the ban so imposed on the basis of Circular dated 1 September 2015 will be withdrawn and consequently the Abattoir will remain open on 13 and 18 September 2015 and there will be no ban of sale of meat on the said dates.”

The BMC said it had issued a circular, directing the Deonar abattoir to remain closed on September 10, 13, 17 and 18. Two of these days were selected based on a 1964 BMC resolution and two on account of the state’s 2004 resolution.

The Bench, comprising Justice Anopp Mohta and Justice S.S. Sayed was hearing a Petition filed by the Bombay Mutton Dealers Association challenging the ban. The Petition challenges the ban, arguing that the ban favored a small percentage of the population and was against the secular fabric of the Constitution. It claimed that in the previous years, the ban was limited to slaughtering of animals for two days during the Paryushan period.The Bench questioned the petitioners’ lawyer Zubin Kamdin regarding the rationale behind allowing a ban on some sort of killing while allowing others. Advocate General Anil Singh argued that “a fish dies if taken out of water” and no cutting to slaughter it was involved.The Court reportedly desired to understand the practice adopted in Mumbai so far, considering that there is “no sizeable amount of one community, or class.” It also demanded the idea behind choosing the four specific days.

Elaborating on the practice, Senior Counsel representing BMC Narendra Walavalkar clarified that the ban on sale of meat had been imposed since 2014. “We have a very reasonable attitude. When Mahavir Jayanti and Bakr-Eid fall on the same day, we allow our Muslim brothers to “ut meat,” he said.“You cannot have this formula for a modern city like Mumbai,” the court observed.

Read more from here

http://www.livelaw.in/bombay-hc-say...n-city-like-mumbai-bmc-withdraws-two-day-ban/

Sadhguru Stumps Barkha Dutt on Beef Ban

Watch Sadhguru of Isha Foundation Stumps Barkha Dutt with Scientific Logic on why, one should not eat Beef and she is left clueless,confused face and no answer. This is called a perfect slap in face of such Pseudo Secular Journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbnQGSZ32Q

Published on Sep 10, 2015

http://satyavijayi.com/sadhguru-stumps-barkha-dutt-on-beef-ban-and-she-is-left-with-no-answer-full-video/

Last edited:
TH14-KESHAV-MEAT_B_2546416f.jpg

Watch Sadhguru of Isha Foundation Stumps Barkha Dutt with Scientific Logic on why, one should not eat Beef and she is left clueless,confused face and no answer. This is called a perfect slap in face of such Pseudo Secular Journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbnQGSZ32Q

Published on Sep 10, 2015

http://satyavijayi.com/sadhguru-stumps-barkha-dutt-on-beef-ban-and-she-is-left-with-no-answer-full-video/

Brilliant response by Sathguruji!

How about Ramadan...When I am in Riyadh, No eating, drinking and smoking in public...Can we not respect the customs of locals in India

Brilliant response by Sathguruji!

I do not find Jaggi Vasudev's (JV) argument/s convincing at all. Firstly, the food does not become the person — male, female or cow. JV could have said this authoritatively if only he could transform the mango or any other food into a man, woman or cow, in the first instance. Obviously he nor any other guru will be able to do it except through nature's way (sexual intercourse and resulting pregnancy in a woman) and even then JV cannot pre-decide the gender of the child. Hence all his talk is simple "hawaabaazi" and nothing else.

All living beings, be it the microscopic tic or the gigantic sperm whale, susrain themselves on food. Now JV says even plant foods are obtained by "killing" plants; he may not be right completely here. For example a coconut tree, mango tree, jackfruit tree, ladies finger plant and so on, are not even cut while gathering the fruits or seed products. Even then, it is true that life is there in those seeds/pods and we eat and digest them in some cases. Our physical body is a machine designed to grow by means of food ingestion. The food by itself does not become the person just as the petrol (used in the car) does not become the car itself.

Vegetarianism of brahmins, as discussed many times over in this forum, is a cultivated trait in order to rank equal to the jains of ancient Tamil land. The Brahmins of Bengal or Kumaon are fish/meat eaters. The present government does not know what it is doing.

I do not find Jaggi Vasudev's (JV) argument/s convincing at all. Firstly, the food does not become the person — male, female or cow. JV could have said this authoritatively if only he could transform the mango or any other food into a man, woman or cow, in the first instance. Obviously he nor any other guru will be able to do it except through nature's way (sexual intercourse and resulting pregnancy in a woman) and even then JV cannot pre-decide the gender of the child. Hence all his talk is simple "hawaabaazi" and nothing else.

All living beings, be it the microscopic tic or the gigantic sperm whale, susrain themselves on food. Now JV says even plant foods are obtained by "killing" plants; he may not be right completely here. For example a coconut tree, mango tree, jackfruit tree, ladies finger plant and so on, are not even cut while gathering the fruits or seed products. Even then, it is true that life is there in those seeds/pods and we eat and digest them in some cases. Our physical body is a machine designed to grow by means of food ingestion. The food by itself does not become the person just as the petrol (used in the car) does not become the car itself.

Vegetarianism of brahmins, as discussed many times over in this forum, is a cultivated trait in order to rank equal to the jains of ancient Tamil land. The Brahmins of Bengal or Kumaon are fish/meat eaters. The present government does not know what it is doing.

This is the appropriate analysis.
I am vegetarian, but i do not force my views on others. People who are Vegan, and try to convert me to their cause are politely told to mind their own business.

You are what you eat

Meaning

The notion that to be fit and healthy you need to eat good food.
Origin

This phrase has come to us via quite a tortuous route. Anthelme Brillat-Savarin wrote, in Physiologie du Gout, ou Meditations de Gastronomie Transcendante, 1826:
"Dis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es." [Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are].
In an essay titled Concerning Spiritualism and Materialism, 1863/4, Ludwig Andreas Feuerbach wrote:
"Der Mensch ist, was er ißt."
That translates into English as 'man is what he eats'.
Neither Brillat-Savarin or Feuerbach meant their quotations to be taken literally. They were stating that that the food one eats has a bearing on what one's state of mind and health.
The actual phrase didn't emerge in English until some time later. In the 1920s and 30s, the nutritionist Victor Lindlahr, who was a strong believer in the idea that food controls health, developed the Catabolic Diet. That view gained some adherents at the time and the earliest known printed example is from an advert for beef in a 1923 edition of the Bridgeport Telegraph, for 'United Meet [sic] Markets':
"Ninety per cent of the diseases known to man are caused by cheap foodstuffs. You are what you eat."
In 1942, Lindlahr published You Are What You Eat: how to win and keep health with diet. That seems to be the vehicle that took the phrase into the public consciousness. Lindlahr is likely to have also used the term in his radio talks in the late 1930s (now lost unfortunately), which would also have reached a large audience.

The phrase got a new lease of life in the 1960s hippy era. The food of choice of the champions of this notion was macrobiotic wholefood and the phrase was adopted by them as a slogan for healthy eating. The belief in the diet in some quarters was so strong that when Adelle Davis, a leading spokesperson for the organic food movement, contracted the cancer that later killed her, she attributed the illness to the junk food she had eaten at college.
Some commentators have suggested that the idea is from much earlier and that it has a religious rather than dietary basis. Roman Catholics believe that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are changed into the body and blood of Jesus (Transubstantiation).
Is the phrase Catholic rather than catabolic?
Archbishop Thomas Cranmer in 1549:
We offer and present unto thee, O Lord, our selves, our souls and bodies, to be a reasonable, holy, and living sacrifice unto thee; humbly beseeching thee that we, and all others who shall be partakers of this Holy Communion, may worthily receive the most precious Body and Blood of thy Son Jesus Christ, be filled with thy grace and heavenly benediction, and made one body with him, that he may dwell in us, and we in him.
Transubstantiation certainly links food and the body, but there doesn't appear to be a clear link between the belief and the phrase. It's safe to assume the origin is more supper than supplication.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/you-are-what-you-eat.html

[h=1]Us versus them: Like India, meat divides people even in the US[/h]There is a need to delink vegetarianism from an intrinsic morality. Failing to do so could be dangerous, as the multiple bans in India show.

Excerpts
………………………………………………..
……………………………………………

A marker of social class

Like in India, dietary habits also serve as a differentiator in the United States.

In the US, people are vegetarian for a variety of reasons, most often unrelated to religious or community affiliation. For many, being vegetarian stems from a commitment to the surrounding world, to caring about where your food comes from and its effect on the surrounding societies. Vegetarianism makes sense if you are considering the health effects of eating meat produced on factory farms, their destructive impact on the environment, and the potential to inculcate an ethic of non-violence in a violent world.

Read more at: http://scroll.in/article/755226/us-versus-them-like-india-meat-divides-people-even-in-the-us

Human beings have choice when it comes to what they can eat. This choice may be limited by what is available in the local area and also by local sentiments towards what is considered food.

If one is taught fully and properly (and not preached) the rationale behind being a vegetarian, such a teaching will make sense to many human beings, in my view.
To use example from our life practices let me share the following.

I think most milk, milk derivatives and eggs are non-vegetarian in most parts of the world in my view because enormous & untold pain is inflicted in the production of these items. In today's world milk is liquid meat, even in many parts of India. However for a growing child one may not have a choice but to give milk to children.

This is not preaching to others but my family tries to get milk from farms that allow grazing of cows for example even if it costs 3 times. Otherwise we avoid milk. I also find milk from such farms to be far more tasty. If I go to someone's house I do not protest about milk or even talk about such topics since I do not want to make anyone feel bad that they are unable to give me milk in coffee that is coming from grazing cows (as opposed to from cows raised in factory farms).

The woman who interviewed Sadguru in that youtube segment posted by Sri PJ asked a valid question about 'individual rights' vs faith of the majority. It was not fully responded to though I thought Sadguru's style of response was one of teaching and not preaching. One may or may not agree with his points, but his approach was one of trying to reason.

The real question is 'an individual's duty' towards the interests of larger unit that a person is part of. When interest of larger unit is considered including impact to the environment and sentiments of others it will be more convincing.

Preaching such as ban of anything rarely works in the long term.

I am sort of surprised how many ritual oriented people who say they are TBs and have become strict non-vegetarians:)

There are always few on both sides of the issue , that do not care about others and such people cannot be reasoned with. Laws have to be used fully to deal with such people.

Food for thought: There are many "non-veg members" here that do not care about "violence they cause" , and whose food habits may be vegetarian :)
Would you prefer a 'friend' who is "non-veg" types in thoughts and emotions towards others but vegetarians in food habits OR a person who is 'veg' (sattvic) in thoughts and emotions towards others but consume meat !

It appears this practice of banning sale of meat during Jain festival has been followed since 1964 in pockets of Mumbai/Maharashtra. The OP cites BMC circular dated 1964 for banning sale of meat for two days and also another circular dated 2004. It is anybody's guess why this issue was not taken up for the past fifty years.

The state govt of Kerala issued directives to not supply mid-day meals in government schools during the period of ramadan so as not to affect the sentiments of muslim children attending these schools. No secular person cried foul then that the islamic faith is being imposed on non-muslims.

The truth is that the media once again proves itself as a jihadi-jesus lobby as it takes this opportunity to do a hit job on BJP/hindutva. Every problem is hoisted on the shoulders of hindutva not unlike what goes on in this forum where every problem whether it is reservation system or other caste discrimination, it is hoisted on the shoulders of brahmins.

My opinion is because this forum is mostly a rehash of selective news articles and the source of these articles also come from the very same lobby this forum has transformed into a anti-hindu forum. And that, imho, is the real sad state of affairs.

கால பைரவன்;317400 said:
It appears this practice of banning sale of meat during Jain festival has been followed since 1964 in pockets of Mumbai/Maharashtra. The OP cites BMC circular dated 1964 for banning sale of meat for two days and also another circular dated 2004. It is anybody's guess why this issue was not taken up for the past fifty years.

The state govt of Kerala issued directives to not supply mid-day meals in government schools during the period of ramadan so as not to affect the sentiments of muslim children attending these schools. No secular person cried foul then that the islamic faith is being imposed on non-muslims.

The truth is that the media once again proves itself as a jihadi-jesus lobby as it takes this opportunity to do a hit job on BJP/hindutva. Every problem is hoisted on the shoulders of hindutva not unlike what goes on in this forum where every problem whether it is reservation system or other caste discrimination, it is hoisted on the shoulders of brahmins.

The practice of banning sale of meat during Jain festival was followed even during emperor Jehangir's times. Here is the link to the article in Indian Express. : http://indianexpress.com/article/in...nned-animal-slaughter-during-jains-paryushan/

My opinion is because this forum is mostly a rehash of selective news articles and the source of these articles also come from the very same lobby this forum has transformed into a anti-hindu forum. And that, imho, is the real sad state of affairs.

It is very discernible that there is an anti-Modi Lobby in this forum.

Last edited:
The practice of banning sale of meat during Jain festival was followed even during emperor Jehangir's times. Here is the link to the article in Indian Express. : http://indianexpress.com/article/in...nned-animal-slaughter-during-jains-paryushan/

It is very discernible that there is an anti-Modi Lobby in this forum.

I believe that the kind of hindutva being propagated by the BJP, RSS combine will not do any good to this country; instead it will only lead the country to an "implosion". To the extent Modi's covert agenda is BJP & RSS dictated and he executes in a jiffy what the RSS orders him to do (OROP is a good example) I am anti-Modi also. Secondly, Modi has proved himself to be no more than a paper tiger what with all the tall promises he made left right & center during his Loksabha electioneering; he continues in the same vein even now but performance is just not there. MMS also did not deliver but he did not promise either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back