• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhodhayana Amavasya:

Bodhayana Darsa Tharpanam

Compiled by
P.R.Ramachander

( Bodhayana was a great saint who was the son of Sage Kanva. He has written Grihya Suthras which are followed by many Iyer Brahmins. He belonged to the Krishna Yajur Veda. The Amavasya Tharpanam for those who follow Bodhayana Sutra has to be done on Bodhayana Amavasya days
These can be found as per the rule given below:-
If on Chathurdasi day , Amavasya Thithi starts before 12 hours(30 Nazhigai) from Sun rise, then those who follow Bodhayana Sutra do Tharpana on that day. They also perform Tharpana on Chathurdasi day when , the Prathama Thithi next to Amavasya day ends within 12 hours after sun rise. These are normally listed in the Pangams.
This is connected to the story of the artificial Amavasya created by the coming near of the Sun and the moon when the Sun and Moon saw Lord Krishna and Pandavas doing Tharpana before the starting of the Bharatha war , so that the Kauravas would start the war in an inauspicious time.
The Tharpana manthras as per Bodhayana Suthra differ from the manthras used by those who follow Apasthamba Sutra. Apart from Pithrus , thaprpana is also done to acharyas(mentor) , Gurus(Teacher) and Sakhees (friends) and their families. I am giving them in English so that it would be useful to people who live away from their native place and are not able to read manthras in Sanskrit or in their mother toungue or unable to locate a Purohith. I have followed the compilation by Sri Painga Nadu Venkatrama Sastri In tamil by Surabhi publications Madras . My grateful acknowledgements to the learned compiler and the publisher.
This is ALSO AVAILABLE IN A SCANNED BOOK FORM IN Devanagari script in

Latest ads

Back