• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

bhaja govindam

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone” (Bs.Bh. II.i.27).

In Sanskrit this sutra is as follows:

Shrutestu shabdamoolatvaat II.1.27

which breaks down to

tu : but/for
shruteH : on the shruti
shabda-moolatvaat : shabdha originates

Well if we get technical the meaning can be as :

"for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone”
or
"But(this has to be accepted) on the authority of the Upanishads, for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone."

If we get less technical but a bit more intuitive, we could decipher this sutras as follows.

shruteH : on that which is heard
shabda-moolatvaat : word(of God/Brahman) originates.

shruti has more than one meaning.
It literally means that which perceived by the ear.
It can also mean that which is heard and also mean The Vedas.

shabda also has many meanings;
Ranging from sound to word to Brahman as in shabda Brahman.

So what if this sutra has an esoteric meaning of :

"For the word of God stems from that which is heard within"

At an esoteric level many saints/sages/gurus/prophets do get revelations that flash in the mind(sans agitations) and heard within.

Who knows?

sravna

for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone” (Bs.Bh. II.i.27).

In Sanskrit this sutra is as follows:

Shrutestu shabdamoolatvaat II.1.27

which breaks down to

shruteH : on the shruti
shabda-moolatvaat : shabdha originates

Well if we get technical the meaning can be as :

"for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone”
or
"But(this has to be accepted) on the authority of the Upanishads, for Brahman is known from the Upanishads alone."

If we get less technical but a bit more intuitive, we could decipher this sutras as follows.

shruteH : on that which is heard
shabda-moolatvaat : word(of God/Brahman) originates.

shruti has more than one meaning.
It literally means that which perceived by the ear.
It can also mean that which is heard and also mean The Vedas.

shabda also has many meanings;
Ranging from sound to word to Brahman as in shabda Brahman.

So what if this sutra has an esoteric meaning of :

"For the word of God stems from that which is heard within"

At an esoteric level many saints/sages/gurus/prophets do get revelations that flash in the mind(sans agitations) and heard within.

Who knows?
Yes revelations only. They are intuitions on a large and deeper scale. It is the most authentic knowledge. Different revelations possible and underlying all is the unifying purpose. Different possible in accordance with space and time by God's design but underlying truths same.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Yes revelations only. They are intuitions on a large and deeper scale. It is the most authentic knowledge. Different revelations possible and underlying all is the unifying purpose. Different possible in accordance with space and time by God's design but underlying truths same.
Ever wondered why religious text have no commentary but only sutras or shlokas?

Shree Krishna did not give a Bhashyam.
Neither do the Upanishads have bhashyam.
Or the Vedas for the matter.

Its only Gurus that give bhashyams.

Why?

What say you?

Krishna only gave the shlokas but it was others who gave various commentaries.

Any idea why Krishna didnt give a commentary?

sravna

They are meant to have multiple and contextual interpretation may be? I have my personal experiences where I interpret the same thing differently at different times.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
They are meant to have multiple and contextual interpretation may be? I have my personal experiences where I interpret the same thing differently at different times.
Exactly!
So all Bhasyams should come with disclaimers that the commentary is a personalized revelation and it might not be the same for another person.

I totally get it why Buddha says in Kalama Sutra that just do not accept everything given if it doesnt seem to fit our perception.

Imam Ali himself said " Do not inherit your religion"

Even Native American tribes have an understanding that you accept the teachings of the elders but you weave your own story.

Its so clear that there is no rigidity and everything has multiple interpretations.

So now it would all seem so futile to debate with anyone.
Its of no use.

Finally Krishna says in the Gita to surrender to Him and He will deliver us and lead us to moksha.

So obvious right?
Cos He would be revealing to us a personalized revelation which might not be found in any book.

One who does not surrender does not get the shower of revelation but would remain in the ocean of the intellect.

One who surrenders, transcends the intellect and enjoys the revelations.

Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks