• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bhagawan Ramana Maharishi

Iyest

Dear Usaiyer sir, there are two places in Chennai that I am aware of. Ramana Kendra in Mylapore and Ramanalayam in Chrompet. I don’t know whether they are still functioning so you will have to check. There used to be a Ramana-Krishnamurti centre but I think it closed few years ago. I have not been to any of them except once to the Chrompet place. I come to know of these places from others.

OP
OP
K

KRS

1632158021948.jpeg

prasad1

I follow Kabirdas, I have never heard of this poem.
It is beautiful and follows his style and philosophy very much.

Mystic SongsShare This Page
Bookmark and Share
Moko Kahan Dhundhere Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Teerath Mein, Na Moorat Mein Na Ekant Niwas Mein
Na Mandir Mein, Na Masjid Mein Na Kabe Kailas Mein
Mein To Tere Paas Mein Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Mein Jap Mein, Na Mein Tap Mein Na Mein Barat Upaas Mein
Na Mein Kiriya Karm Mein Rehta Nahin Jog Sanyas Mein
Nahin Pran Mein Nahin Pind Mein Na Brahmand Akas Mein
Na Mein Prakuti Prawar Gufa Mein Nahin Swasan Ki Swans Mein
Khoji Hoye Turat Mil Jaoon Ik Pal Ki Talas Mein
Kahet Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho Mein To Hun Viswas Mein

mystic1_1.gif
mystic1_2.gif

Translation
Where do you search me? I am with you
Not in pilgrimage, nor in icons, Neither in solitudes
Not in temples, nor in mosques Neither in Kaba nor in Kailash
I am with you o man, I am with you
Not in prayers, nor in meditation, Neither in fasting
Not in yogic exercises, Neither in renunciation
Neither in the vital force nor in the body, Not even in the ethereal space
Neither in the womb of Nature, Not in the breath of the breath
Seek earnestly and discover, In but a moment of search
Says Kabir, Listen with care, Where your faith is, I am there.
My Understanding
In spite of the different approaches of all religious and philosophical teachings, it is very clear that the all-pervading, omniscient, omnipresent factor is finally God. Due to our customs, traditions, languages we only address Him by various names. Yet, it is also true that in spite of this awareness, we spend a lot of time in arguing about God and try to impose attributes.

Kabir noticed this centuries old phenomenon in his times also. And this great Master, in the above verse highlights the underlying principle that God is everywhere.

Kabir reveals in this verse the various search patterns adopted by mankind. And each one seems to be justifying his chosen method. Some say God will be realized through pilgrimages while some justify the idol worship. Some say He is up in the mountains while some believe that He is in places of worship. Some proclaim prayers and meditation the path, others believe realization through fasting. Many talk about yogic exercises (activity) and renunciation.

In this verse Kabir seems to be saying that God is NOT in any of these. However, this cannot be true. To my understanding, Kabir is saying that God is everywhere and therefore in all these too. However, his saying "No" simply means that we should apply our faith to One and follow it up sincerely. This will lead to instant realization of the divinity within us. However, if we "switch" our approach from one path to another, then we are simply conducting a sort of gymnastic. In his typical mystical ways, Kabir shows us the omniscience of God.

sorry for posting in this thread. This may not be the appropriate thread for this.

renuka

I follow Kabirdas, I have never heard of this poem.
It is beautiful and follows his style and philosophy very much.

Mystic SongsShare This Page
Bookmark and Share
Moko Kahan Dhundhere Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Teerath Mein, Na Moorat Mein Na Ekant Niwas Mein
Na Mandir Mein, Na Masjid Mein Na Kabe Kailas Mein
Mein To Tere Paas Mein Bande Mein To Tere Paas Mein
Na Mein Jap Mein, Na Mein Tap Mein Na Mein Barat Upaas Mein
Na Mein Kiriya Karm Mein Rehta Nahin Jog Sanyas Mein
Nahin Pran Mein Nahin Pind Mein Na Brahmand Akas Mein
Na Mein Prakuti Prawar Gufa Mein Nahin Swasan Ki Swans Mein
Khoji Hoye Turat Mil Jaoon Ik Pal Ki Talas Mein
Kahet Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho Mein To Hun Viswas Mein

mystic1_1.gif
mystic1_2.gif

Translation
Where do you search me? I am with you
Not in pilgrimage, nor in icons, Neither in solitudes
Not in temples, nor in mosques Neither in Kaba nor in Kailash
I am with you o man, I am with you
Not in prayers, nor in meditation, Neither in fasting
Not in yogic exercises, Neither in renunciation
Neither in the vital force nor in the body, Not even in the ethereal space
Neither in the womb of Nature, Not in the breath of the breath
Seek earnestly and discover, In but a moment of search
Says Kabir, Listen with care, Where your faith is, I am there.
My Understanding
In spite of the different approaches of all religious and philosophical teachings, it is very clear that the all-pervading, omniscient, omnipresent factor is finally God. Due to our customs, traditions, languages we only address Him by various names. Yet, it is also true that in spite of this awareness, we spend a lot of time in arguing about God and try to impose attributes.

Kabir noticed this centuries old phenomenon in his times also. And this great Master, in the above verse highlights the underlying principle that God is everywhere.

Kabir reveals in this verse the various search patterns adopted by mankind. And each one seems to be justifying his chosen method. Some say God will be realized through pilgrimages while some justify the idol worship. Some say He is up in the mountains while some believe that He is in places of worship. Some proclaim prayers and meditation the path, others believe realization through fasting. Many talk about yogic exercises (activity) and renunciation.

In this verse Kabir seems to be saying that God is NOT in any of these. However, this cannot be true. To my understanding, Kabir is saying that God is everywhere and therefore in all these too. However, his saying "No" simply means that we should apply our faith to One and follow it up sincerely. This will lead to instant realization of the divinity within us. However, if we "switch" our approach from one path to another, then we are simply conducting a sort of gymnastic. In his typical mystical ways, Kabir shows us the omniscience of God.

sorry for posting in this thread. This may not be the appropriate thread for this.
Dear Prasad ji,
In the version Sooryagayatri is singing they have replaced Kaabe with Kaashi.
Well, that changed the whole meaning cos Kabir das was saying God is neither at Ka'ba nor Kailash.
If we replace Ka'ba with Kaashi that would seem as if Kabir das was just denying existence of God only in Hinduism..so best we still stick to the original.

Here is another version..it kept to the original but shorter.

I guess its appropriate to post it cos it does jive with Ramana Maharishi's words.

Iyest

The snake must bite its own tail.

WITNESSING IS NOT VICHARA - VICHARA IS THE FINAL DOOR

So, as respects Bhagavan's method of remaining as Subjective Consciousness, I am supposed to witness without entertaining the notion that I am witnessing - is that right?

B.: Who is that one who remains as Subjective Consciousness? Is Subjective Consciousness proclaiming that he is going to remain as Subjective Consciousness? You see the absurdity of it.

So, your task is not to remain as Subjective Consciousness; your task is to keep yourself out of the way so that Subjective Consciousness remains merely as Itself without getting impeded by you.

As for witnessing, there is nothing to witness. IT IS. Simple Being.

When ideas create modifications in consciousness, which is the essence or substance of the mind, another idea made of the same substance is used as a tool with which to crush (annihilate) all other ideas; finally, this tool is also destroyed. That is why the example of the stick used to stir the burning funeral pyre is furnished.

Q.: So merely watching (observing) consciousness with a placid, thought-free mind is not a sadhana that suffices to destroy the mind and bestow Realization?

B.: If the aspirant is unremittingly sincere in its pursuit, the practice that you mention will in due course by itself cause sufficient introversion of mind to empower (facilitate) the mind to become ready for successfully investigating 'Who am I?'. However, it is erroneous to imagine that the two practices are one and the same, or even similar.

Q.: But they both aim at ensuring that the sadhaka remains attending to mere consciousness; how can they be distinct from each other?

B.: The act of attending to pure Subjective Consciousness alone still involves that one who undertakes such Sadhana. WHO IS HE?

Q.: But there is also that one who investigates 'Who am I?'.

B.: He is both the subject and object of his investigation.

That is why in the end, everybody must come only through this gate before reaching the citadel of the Heart. Who am I? is the only Sadhana which is such that the one making it is the same as the one in relation to whom it is made.

The snake must bite its own tail. Otherwise, he will not die. Neophytes who complain that 'Who am I?' is not working are given the suggestion that they should watch the thought 'I', or that they should remain attending to Subjective Consciousness alone. Still less mature souls are told to repeat 'I', 'I' mentally, together with simultaneously concentrating on the sense of personality associated with 'I', that is to say with the mental concept of 'myself'. Those who are not able to do even this should do pranayama, japa, moorthy-dhyana, or hatha-yoga. None of these practices, however, could possibly serve as a substitute for vichara, nor is it meaningful to confuse any of them with vichara or to imagine any of them to be the same as vichara.

Vichara is the final door. The 'I' attends to himself, not to his Self. The ego attends to the ego and to nothing else; that is vichara. Attending to Subjective Consciousness, while it is a method having its beneficial use, is certainly NOT the same as vichara.

- Aham Sphurana

usaiyer

KRSji,
Namaskar.
I found some place in chennai for Baghavan Ramana's satsangh.
What about US? Are such Satsangs popular there?
The Apple CEO seemed to have taken keen interest in Kriya Yoga ,which perhaps was propagated by Yogi Yogananda.
Prior to that Rajneesh 'sTM was making waves in California and elsewhere.
Now Sadguru from a southern suburb is making good in US.

Om Namo Bagahvate SrI Ramanaya!!

OP
OP
K

KRS

KRSji,
Namaskar.
I found some place in chennai for Baghavan Ramana's satsangh.
What about US? Are such Satsangs popular there?
The Apple CEO seemed to have taken keen interest in Kriya Yoga ,which perhaps was propagated by Yogi Yogananda.
Prior to that Rajneesh 'sTM was making waves in California and elsewhere.
Now Sadguru from a southern suburb is making good in US.

Om Namo Bagahvate SrI Ramanaya!!
Sri usaiyer sir,

I am glad you found the Satsang. There are so many Satsangs here in the USA, that are quite popular. You find them in all major cities.

Yes, when we say there are various ways to God, what we mean is that each of our mind, because of our Vasanas, have different frequencies in terms of likes and dislikes. So, the need for all different stripes of Gurus. If one is qualified as a Mumukshu, the most important thing, in my opinion and in my learning, is that one totally submits to one’s Guru’s teaching and perform whatever Sadhana that Guru prescribes.

usaiyer

KRSsir,
Namaskar,
Thank you. I have only located a Satsang ,but yet to resume my activities. There in I will try for a guru
In US there are more satsangs in West ,not so much in east
and also not in Canada.
Do the temples take initiative for Satsang there. I really don't know.
What is the role of law of karma in one's life IN addition to
huia vasanas and gunas.
I s mind a separate entity or part of Self?
someone was mentioning of merging of the mind with the self? what does this mean?
Om Namo Baghavte Shri Ramanaya!!

OP
OP
K

KRS

Sri usaiyer sir,

There are many Satsangs in the US, from the east coast to the west coast and many places in between. You can Google them, if interested.

I used the word ‘Vasanas’ only to describe one’s latent tendencies that can clearly be observed. My knowledge about it’s connection to past lives is only theoretical, albeit from venerable sources like the Vedas, Gurus etc.

My Vasanas are such that, I have to convince myself about a theory, if I can, before fully understanding it as valid. This is why I have learnt Vedic Astrology from a very young age and pursued the practice of it. Along the way, I am convinced that it works, because of my experiences with it.

So, Karma theory etc. remain only just that, theories that are unproven to my mind. I value them as teachings from my forefathers. Other than that they have no value as far as I am concerned. More important to me is to practice what Bhagawan has prescribed, because it is within the purview of testing. And I am convinced that so far it is working. If there is a future life, I only pray to the Almighty to make me continue this practice.

Regarding your question about the mind and the self, this is what Bhagawan said:

1632605208117.jpeg

Iyest

'WHO IS PRACTICING? TRUE SADHANA IS NON-DOING

Q.: I still want to practice the remain-as-subjective-consciousness method as it seems to be a lot easier and less abstract for me in comparison with Atma-vichara.

B.: Alright. But it is necessary to abandon the idea that there is an "I" that is practicing this maintenance of subjective awareness as a sadhana in order to Realize. Then alone will a positive result follow.

The idea that you are witnessing Subjective Consciousness is an impediment to effortless abidance or inherence in that state in which Subjective Consciousness remains merely as Itself. As and when you discover such notions lurking within the mind, ask yourself, 'Who is the one that imagines that he is witnessing Subjective Consciousness?'.

Not the tiniest vritti or idea must lie latent in this Subjective Consciousness which remains merely as Itself without spilling over into the Realm of thought; only then will it blossom into permanent Sphurana. Thus, give up the idea that you are a sadhaka trying to Realize. Then the Beyond will take care of you and all will be well. It is only by giving up useless accretions that Realization is made possible, not by acquiring new vrittis or ideas or by practicing meditation, yoga, etc.. Let go of everything and only the Self will remain.

Q.: Is meditation not useful?

B.: What do you meditate on?

Q.: On the Aham-vritti, so that on close scrutiny, I shall discover the truth that it is non-existent and so realize the Self.

B.: [smiling] And who is going to make that discovery?

Q.: We have come back to 'Who am I?'.

B.: Exactly. People are so used to associating with objects on the level of the mind that they are always looking to do something. Can more mental-doing reveal the Self? It can only make obscuration of the Self more and more dense. True sadhana is not doing [non-doing] anything with the mind. That is the import of the advice Summa Iru. Not all people can appreciate this kind of advice. They think sadhana means they should do something. If I explain to them the truth they will become upset and think, "Swami seems to think I am unfit for sadhana...". So when someone comes here and says he is going to practice this and that, I say "Very good!". We have no right to demoralize or discourage anyone.

- Aham Sphurana

renuka

'WHO IS PRACTICING? TRUE SADHANA IS NON-DOING

Q.: I still want to practice the remain-as-subjective-consciousness method as it seems to be a lot easier and less abstract for me in comparison with Atma-vichara.

B.: Alright. But it is necessary to abandon the idea that there is an "I" that is practicing this maintenance of subjective awareness as a sadhana in order to Realize. Then alone will a positive result follow.

The idea that you are witnessing Subjective Consciousness is an impediment to effortless abidance or inherence in that state in which Subjective Consciousness remains merely as Itself. As and when you discover such notions lurking within the mind, ask yourself, 'Who is the one that imagines that he is witnessing Subjective Consciousness?'.

Not the tiniest vritti or idea must lie latent in this Subjective Consciousness which remains merely as Itself without spilling over into the Realm of thought; only then will it blossom into permanent Sphurana. Thus, give up the idea that you are a sadhaka trying to Realize. Then the Beyond will take care of you and all will be well. It is only by giving up useless accretions that Realization is made possible, not by acquiring new vrittis or ideas or by practicing meditation, yoga, etc.. Let go of everything and only the Self will remain.

Q.: Is meditation not useful?

B.: What do you meditate on?

Q.: On the Aham-vritti, so that on close scrutiny, I shall discover the truth that it is non-existent and so realize the Self.

B.: [smiling] And who is going to make that discovery?

Q.: We have come back to 'Who am I?'.

B.: Exactly. People are so used to associating with objects on the level of the mind that they are always looking to do something. Can more mental-doing reveal the Self? It can only make obscuration of the Self more and more dense. True sadhana is not doing [non-doing] anything with the mind. That is the import of the advice Summa Iru. Not all people can appreciate this kind of advice. They think sadhana means they should do something. If I explain to them the truth they will become upset and think, "Swami seems to think I am unfit for sadhana...". So when someone comes here and says he is going to practice this and that, I say "Very good!". We have no right to demoralize or discourage anyone.

- Aham Sphurana
Summary:
Be and it is! ( Kun fayakun)

OP
OP
K

KRS

1633739856101.jpeg

The jnani weeps with the weeping, laughs with the laughing, plays with the playful, sings with those who sing, keeping time to the song. What does he lose? His presence is like a pure, transparent mirror. It reflects the image exactly as it is. But the jnani, who is only a mirror, is unaffected by actions.

(Be As You Are )

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks