• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Beware - A New Credit Card Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
This is something that happened to me recently.

Few days ago someone called up claiming to be from the "Credit Card Verification" and said because a lot of credit card frauds were happening, the bank is enhancing my limit and upgrading my card.

I was driving and i asked her to give me a call after a few minutes.
In that few minutes it struck me as odd that she said she is calling from "Credit Card Verification" and did not mention the bank's name or verify my details.

Normally when the bank people call they verify the details but she did not do any of that.

Anyways, she called me back in an hour and seemed in a hurry to get my credit card number.

I told her that i would not tell my card number over the phone and if at all there is an issue with my card, send a letter and i will hand it over to the nearest branch.

Then she tries to convince me how she is from the bank and how my voice is being recorded etc...

Eventually i did not give her my number and she hung up.

Throughout this conversation she spoke proper Tamil which is very strange because the people from the bank associated with my the card talk in Hindi or English only.

I got a call last week from a male claiming to be from the reserve bank. He said my ATM card is blocked and he will help me to unblock it. I told him he is an impostor, and that I will contact my bank to resolve any such issue. I have sent a mail to the bank with tel no. of the caller.

Within minutes my wife got a call from the same person with the same story. I wonder how they get the telephone numbers.

Bank's advice is not to give card details to anybody. Bank will not call and we have to call the bank when there is a problem.

Last year, my credit card was blocked and I came to know about it only when I used it for a transaction. There was no message or warning from the bank. When I contacted, I was told that the card was used for a dollar transaction in a foreign country within hours of using it in india; hence the blocking.

Praveen Sir

It is your smartness and presence of mind saved you from some financial loss, mental agony;
Another Fraud is sending mails asking for Bank PASSWORD, BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER Etc.

The Mail will appear as if it sent from The BANK Itself.

Banks will never ask for Password, or Bank account Number sending Mails and one should not fall for such Traps.

I got a call last week from a male claiming to be from the reserve bank. He said my ATM card is blocked and he will help me to unblock it. I told him he is an impostor, and that I will contact my bank to resolve any such issue. I have sent a mail to the bank with tel no. of the caller.

Within minutes my wife got a call from the same person with the same story. I wonder how they get the telephone numbers.

Bank's advice is not to give card details to anybody. Bank will not call and we have to call the bank when there is a problem.

Last year, my credit card was blocked and I came to know about it only when I used it for a transaction. There was no message or warning from the bank. When I contacted, I was told that the card was used for a dollar transaction in a foreign country within hours of using it in india; hence the blocking.

sarang Sir

Nowadays whenever we enter any Building, the security Staff is asking us to sign a register where we have to give the address and Cell number/ Land line Number, Entry time, who we are meeting etc.

There is a possibility of Telephone numbers are sold to these Fraud companies!!

hi

its not only in india but also in USA.....2 weeks ago i got a call from IRS in USA...now tax time here....many fraudsters are targetting

indian....mostly indian got calls abt tax matters....my self also got it...they told me that the police will come arrest me

within half an hour and i will loose all credit card/other bank benefits....i said i want to talk to supervisor...i can understand

that they were talking in hindi and call is from india....i said that i can't pay through phone..i can only send through mail....

i want written letter for that....they rejected and told me to pay through credit card within half an hour...i said BIG NO and

said im ready to go to jail....they immediately disconnected...my friend paid money through credit money and his money

vanished from credit card immediately within half an hour........its really panic situation..then i talk to my tax attorney and

narrated the whole story....she said that ONLY INDIANS ARE TARGETTED..she said IRS always letters only..not through phone...then

i releived......now a days alot of scam through telephone...

Last edited:
in india there are callers claiming to representing LIC telling you that you have not collected bonus and asking for policy details . even threats of police complaint do not work with them.
plus callers claiming to represent various NGOs asking for donation for some cause or other.
I simply cut off these calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back