• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Badri seshadri - on corruption in tamil nadu govt

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

for those who dont know badri seshadri, he is the owner of a publishing house in chennai - new horizon media கிழக்கு பதிப்பகம்.

he is also a well known blogger, appears in neeyaa naana and TV interviews. recently, he penned an Op Ed in Times of India, re the ostracization of tambrams in tamil nadu and plea for tolerance and understanding.

today he has published another hot piece in his blog, which i have copied here in part. the public can visit the url to read the rest.

ஊழல் சாம்ராஜ்ஜியம்

தற்போது நடந்துகொண்டிருக்கும் அஇஅதிமுக ஆட்சியை தமிழக ஊழல் வரலாற்றின் உச்சம் என்று சொல்லலாம். ஊழல் பற்றி என் நண்பர்களிடம் பேசும்போது அவர்கள் அதனைப் பெரும்பாலும் “ஜெயலலிதா vs கருணாநிதி” என்று சுருக்கி, “ஏன் திமுக மட்டும் ஊழல் செய்யவில்லையா?” என்று கேட்பார்கள். இவ்விருவரையும் விட்டால் வேறு கதி இல்லை என்பதால், ஊழலை நகர்த்திவிட்டு பிற காரணங்களுக்காக திமுகவா அல்லது அதிமுகவா என்று தேர்ந்தெடுக்கவேண்டிய கட்டாயத்திலேயே மக்கள் உள்ளனர்.

............புதிய தனியார் பள்ளி (சமச்சீர்) தொடங்கி 1-8 வகுப்பு வரை நடத்த அனுமதி பெறவேண்டுமானால் ரூ. 6 லட்சம் கல்வி அமைச்சருக்குத் தரவேண்டும். இதனை கல்வி அமைச்சரின் தனிச் செயலர் பெற்றுக்கொள்வார். 9-10 வகுப்புகளுக்கு நீட்டிக்க, மேலும் ரூ. 4 லட்சம். 11-12 வகுப்புகளுக்கு இன்னுமொரு ரூ. 4 லட்சம். பள்ளிகளின் அனுமதி நீட்டிப்புக்குத் தலா ரூ. 2 லட்சம். சிபிஎஸ்இ பள்ளி தொடங்க, மாநில அரசிடமிருந்து நோ அப்ஜெக்‌ஷன் சான்றிதழ் பெற 35 லட்ச ரூபாய். என் நண்பர்கள் பலர் பள்ளிகளை நடத்திவருகின்றனர். இந்தத் தகவல் அவர்களிடமிருந்து பெறப்பட்டிருக்கிறது.

............................. தமிழக அரசின் அனைத்துத் துறைகளிலும் ஆளும் கட்சியினரின் உந்துதலில், சாதாரண மக்களிடமிருந்து ஒப்பந்தக்காரர்களிடமிருந்தும் அதிகாரிகள் கோடிக்கணக்கில் பணம் வசூலிக்கிறார்கள். இது தமிழக அரசில் வேலை செய்யும் பெரும்பாலான அரசு ஊழியர்களுக்கு நன்றாகத் தெரியும்.......

Who is going to tie the bell! I think the death of Muthukumarasamy is God send for the anti corruption movement..Hope all these money bags are thrown out and we have a clean Government in Tamil Nadu...

But does anti corruption plank earn votes..That is a sad no!

If it is not AIADMK the people elect the party whose leader believes in scientific corruption!!

If it is not AIADMK the people elect the party whose leader believes in scientific corruption!!

Well said Sir.

In Tamil Nadu Ministers are praying for divine intervention by performing 'Maha Gaja Pooja', and various homams at different temples.

In Jayalalitha's DA case, the Karnataka High Court on March 11, has reserve its orders pertaining to her plea.

And the Apex Court bench has said that they will pronounce verdict on April 15, on DMK leader K. Anbalagan's plea challenging the appointment of G. Bhavani Singh as the Special Prosecutor at the Karnataka High Court and requested the Karnataka High Court not to give any verdict on Jaya's appeal till then.

Most of the general public have knowledge about the rampant corruption prevailing in Tamil Nadu.

Who is to blow the whistle.

What happened to Traffic Ramaswamy....82 years old man of Chennai fighting for right? This should serve as an eye opener.

Please go thro' the link which is only a sample:
Court criticises hasty arrest of ?Traffic? Ramaswamy - The Hindu

hi

in general in govt service....govt pays salary for coming to office for the employeees...BUT PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO

WORK IN OFFICE.....ONLY GOVT SALARY FOR ATTENDING OFFICE NOT FOR WORK....

hi

in general in govt service....govt pays salary for coming to office for the employeees...BUT PEOPLE HAVE TO PAY MONEY TO

WORK IN OFFICE.....ONLY GOVT SALARY FOR ATTENDING OFFICE NOT FOR WORK....

Sir,

And there is pension also once you retire!!

What is Vigilance Commission or the Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Department doing?

If you ask them they will say, they have not received any complaint in black and white.............

Will anyone file a complaint .........????

The only known opposition to the two Dravidian parties in Tamil Nadu is Congress. But it has not spread its wings seriously, by appointing a popular leader to lead the party. It changes the head at regular intervals. Instead of opposing the two parties vehemently and exposing them to the people, it travels on the shoulders of any one of the parties for the last four decades.

Tamil Nadu has no chance except to have the Dravidian rule only.

folks - while I am not supporting corruption, lets not go overboard. Corruption in TN & south states in particular is "helping to speed up the junk bureaucratic work" & you can see the economy booming, everyone coming here & settling down... unlike in many other states where corruption has "paralyzed, stopped all development". so we need to look at this in the larger context of the country...

National parties are worse than the Dravidian parties, so lets stick local regional parties despite the issues we have... lets fight to hold these 2 parties are accountable as and when each is in power !!

Sir,

The present Government has failed to address the burning issue viz unemployment, especially in rural areas.

Is it enough just to provide 20 kgs of rice to every family as a freebie?

There are lot of such persons looking for employment to eke out a living and during the process, fall at the hands of anti-social elements and get exploited.

Look at the way the neighboring State Police has killed 20 woodcutters.

I would request the members to go through the letter of the Mr. V. Vaikunth, Retd. D.G.P., in the link given here:
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/letters/tirupati-encounter/article7081900.ece

Now even after all these unfortunate development, the Government will seriously discuss only about the compensation and the not preventive aspect.

What the plight of the families...viz ..... the orphaned children, widowed wife and dependent parents..??

VB JI - Please tell me which other state gives 20 Kgs free rice ? Poor in other states are dying of hunger... even after 68 yrs of independence. This is where Jaya/Amma has fundamentally changed TN rural sector without bankrupting the state like the silly communists. of course, this is not enough, more needs to be done particularly in jobs in rural areas, etc.. The 20 woodcutters issue is an isolated one, & it is tragic no doubt... but compared to all other states, only TN is way ahead in eradicating hunger completely...

Jaykayji,

The discussion is about corruption. "I will give the poor 20 kg of rice free every month and don't question me about the looting I indulge in" can not be a civilized way of governing a state.

I built a house. When I wanted to put a ramp in the IN gate and the OUT gate the local councillor intervened. He wanted his cut. Otherwise he will not permit the ramp opening into the street.

Then when I wanted to get the area of the house measured for tax assessment by the Coroporation again the councillor and his agent in the corporation demanded bribe. Otherwise they were not willing to come to do the assessment.

When I was building the house the Councillor's side kicks used to come and demand money for Tea because the building materilas were not to be spilled on the road outside. Police was no exception to this Tea kaasu demand.

When I wanted the new electricity meter the EB said they do not have the meter as they are in short supply. They wanted me to pay the higher charges per Kwh I was paying for the temporary connection indefinitely. When their needs were taken care of, the meters came overnight.

Earlier they were demanding for space inside my compound for erecting the transformer as it was exclusively feeding my building. Once the money changed hands, the transformer went out of my compound and is snugly sitting on the pavement outside without any harm to any one.

Dravidian parties have institutionalized corruption in such a way that we can never hope to remove this scourge from the society.

My friend , who is working in a Government office gave a piece of info which was very revealing:

In our office, I have colleagues who look after various sections like, expenses, pension, budget, PF etc., we are all very friendly and there is comraderie amongst us and we share even our lunch in the common dining room. But when I apply for a loan against my PF Balance for some urgent purpose, I have to forward my application through my colleague attending to PF section and I have to pay her Rs. 500 along with the application so that it is processed expeditiously. Friendship is different and business is different.

I wonder what kind of animals we have all become in Tamilnadu.

I have lived in Kerala for more than ten years and it is not this bad there.

Just for this reason I would like a change of hand here in TN.

Last edited:
VB JI - Please tell me which other state gives 20 Kgs free rice ? Poor in other states are dying of hunger... even after 68 yrs of independence. This is where Jaya/Amma has fundamentally changed TN rural sector without bankrupting the state like the silly communists. of course, this is not enough, more needs to be done particularly in jobs in rural areas, etc.. The 20 woodcutters issue is an isolated one, & it is tragic no doubt... but compared to all other states, only TN is way ahead in eradicating hunger completely...

As for corruption practiced in Tamil Nadu, I would submit that former Chief Minister of this State was convicted of corruption charges by Bangalore Court.

Source
: http://www.ndtv.com/cheat-sheet

The general public of this State are well aware of the fact that both the Dravidian Parties indulge in corrupt practices and one Party leader was convicted and got her punishment after a prolonged legal battle of 18 long years and the other one is now facing the trial.

Though corruption is termed as 'evil', I think the public of Tamil Nadu have started to think going through the news published in everyday dailies about politicians and bureaucrats indulgence in the practice of corruption, that this is way of life and are likely to accept this phenomenon. And if this state of affair continue, what would be the future of Tamil Nadu which is already suffering in various other fronts remains a question mark.

As for adulteration here is a tip:

The exit for Mr. Moorthy and the re-entry for Mr. Ramanaa came on Saturday, as the Cabinet was reshuffled for over 15 times during Ms. Jayalalithaa’s current term as Chief Minister.

Party sources said the alleged irregularities in Aavin operations led to the exit of Mr. Moorthy. They pointed out that only a few days ago, three senior Aavin officials were placed under suspension on the charge of adulteration. Ms. Jayalalithaa had also removed a contractor-couple from the party recently after their Aavin links were traced.

Source:
http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...hy-ramanaa-back-in-cabinet/article6386053.ece

IAS Officer Sagayam is conducting enquiry on illegal mining (Granite scam)

And there is rampant illegal sand mining happening in broad day light in the river basins with the connivance of local politicians.

And there is illegal beach sand mining of minerals in Tamil Nadu which may prove to be scam worth Rs.1 lakh crore

(Link: http://articles.economictimes.india...58675766_1_beach-sand-periyasamypuram-vaippar )

The former Chief Minister during her recent tenure, has dropped number of Ministers within a short period of their assumption , reshuffled the Cabinet several times and portfolios were very frequently changed before even the Minister get accustomed with the subject.

The present state of affair of Tamil Nadu is that;

It is the revenue accrued through TASMAC that comes to the aid of the Government in Budget.

If there is no revenue from TASMAC, what could be the State's Budget projection????

Running the State out of the revenue earned thro selling IMFL is justified??

I think both the Dravidian parties have miserably failed in this aspect.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

As usual you talk emotionally rather than rationally. Odisha state government offers 25 kgs. of rice at Re 1/- per kg per month. Please try to get the facts right before going hyperbole. Here is the link for "rice scheme for poor in Odisha" Odisha launches Rs 1 per kg rice scheme for poor - IBNLive

I have stayed in different parts of the Country...The notable feature of TN is eradication of hunger...I was traveling in an auto in Chennai some time back....I asked the driver if he carry's tiffin for lunch..He cooly responded that Amma takes care of that...He stands in a queue (he is in the lower strata having difficulties in meeting his ends) at Amma Unvagam and has his breakfast comprising 5 idlis and Sambar...For lunch he takes Sambar rice and again in the evening he takes Chappathis..His daily food costs him just Rs 15...For him Amma is God...Instead of bothering about ration & pilferage, other states can emulate this aspect atleast...Tho this is urban centric, it looks like it is spreading to mofussils also in TN

In Haryana too where I live nothing moves in the corridors of power without money..corruption (small or big) requires a strong punitive mechanism..And justice delayed is justice denied...The States have to act fast on corruption cases..Then only it can be nipped in the bud

He cooly responded that Amma takes care of that...He stands in a queue (he is in the lower strata having difficulties in meeting his ends) at Amma Unvagam and has his breakfast comprising 5 idlis and Sambar...For lunch he takes Sambar rice and again in the evening he takes Chappathis..His daily food costs him just Rs 15...For him Amma is God...

Sir,

‘Amma’ Canteens run by Chennai Corporation may face severe financial crunch as the TN Civil Supplies Corporation has sent a letter to Civic Body to pay market rate for the rice instead of Rs.1/= per kg

‘Buy rice for Amma canteens at market rates’
The procurement of rice at market rates might affect the popular welfare scheme that covers 207 outlets.

The TN Civil Supplies Corporation has sent a letter to the Chennai Corporation, asking the civic body to begin paying market rates for rice procured for Amma canteens, that too with retrospective effect for the past two years.

The welfare scheme has so far been successful as the Corporation had paid only Re.1 per kilogramme of rice procured from the TN Civil Supplies Corporation from February 2013 to March 2015.

Pointing to the prevailing market rate of Rs. 19.85 per kg of rice, the TN Civil Supplies Corporation has asked the Chennai Corporation to pay an additional Rs.18.85 for every kg of rice procured so far.

The procurement of rice at market rates is likely to affect the popular welfare scheme that covers 207 outlets.
According to Corporation sources, the canteens require a total of at least 500 tonnes a month. Procurement of rice at market rates will increase the expenses by Rs. 12 crore every year in the city.

The additional canteens proposed to be commissioned are also likely to be delayed in case the civic body is asked to procure rice at market rates.

A senior Corporation official said the government order permitted procurement of rice at Re.1 per kg.

“The decision on such aspects has to be taken only at the Secretary-level meeting,” said the official.

The canteens serve over 2 lakh persons a day Other local bodies that procure rice at market prices for Amma canteens have been facing a severe financial crunch.

The canteens offer idli at Re.1; a plate of chapati at Rs.3; sambar rice, pongal, lemon rice and karuveppilai rice at Rs. 5 and curd rice at Rs. 3 a plate.

Read more at: ?Buy rice for Amma canteens at market rates? - The Hindu

Last edited by a moderator:
will the singapore type of solution ie paying the government employees and ministers sky high wages resolve the issue? or atleast lessen the issue?

for example, in toronto, the police person is well paid. with overtime, an average wage is $100,000 per year, which is pretty decent. so he is not amenable to petty bribes. though there are crooked cops, but the average citizen is not impacted.

Asusual you talk emotionally rather than rationally. Odisha state governmentoffers 25 kgs. of rice at Re 1/- per kg per month. Please try to get the factsright before going hyperbole. Here is the link for "rice scheme for poorin Odisha"

What is this nonsense of emotional talk here?? Poor dying in hunger in India is a fact not an opinion.

Only TN has been successful in tackling this terrible situation. It is not about whether other states have such schemes, it is how successfully one can implement… here TN is miles ahead of others..

If you are ashamed of your mother-state’s success (assuming u are a TB), then u should quickly “zebra to another forum”

All states, political parties have "crowed" about eradicating hunger & poverty... so it is not about which state has what scheme.. All states have such schemes which are not worth even on the paper they are written. Only Jaya has been able to implement in such an effective manner spanning across the entire state over years now.. That's why Hindu said, she was "unseated at her peak" when she was doing yeoman service for TN. Ideas & policy are available dime a dozen, it is about who can implement well & impact the most people. that's why I have always said, PV Narasimha Rao is undoubtedly the greatest statesman of all times !!

first duty of a state is to ensure no one goes to bed hungry.. none of our states are doing that except for TN.

Next is to ensure a very good level of employment - here again TN scores in the last few years with huge growth - though we are still lagging behind Karnataka.

Rural sector reform – Jaya ensured the “individual farmer” can sell directly to the end customer via the Govt yards despite opposition from middlemen, is another gamechanger. It has ensured huge money flow to the rural sector.

Most importantly one of the best governance – you launch a scheme, it gets implemented all across the state in one go, without having to push the Govt like a “yeruma madu”LOL !!

so one should implement the TN model across the country rather than criticize it !!

Jaykay Ji,

I am equally proud about Tamil Nadu State and for your information I have even scarified few good opportunities just for the sake of living in Chennai, the city which I love more than anything.

I do appreciate good schemes launched by the Ruling Parties now and then. But cannot sing the song of praise and glory always bcos there are also dark sides and areas that suffer due to ill governance.

But I am equally aware that scams, scandals, corruption, etc do choke the development of our State and most of us know that our State is currently lagging behind in the path of development.

One cannot remain a silent spectator when something wrong is happening around us especially when we know that such acts may lead to decline in State’s growth, industrially, economically, in agriculture, employment, GDP, per capita income, etc which may prove in the long run something like a frog which slowly being boiled and cooked to death!

I conclude with Bharathiyar's song:

பாதகம் செய்பவரை கண்டால்

நீ பயம்கொள்ளல் ஆகாது பாப்பா

மோதி மிதித்துவிடு பாப்பா

அவர் முகத்தில் உமிழ்ந்துவிடு பாப்பா,

Hope you will agree.:)

VB JI - yes, corruption has to be tackled & resolved in the long run !. So agree with you except for the part that our state is lagging behind development :) !. Compared to all the states in India, we are doing extremely well except Karnataka & maybe Maharashtra. If you talk to the North Indian immigrants in Chennai, you will get a perspective how ahead TN is compared to other states in development, jobs, infrastructure etc..... :)

first duty of a state is to ensure no one goes to bed hungry.. none of our states are doing that except for TN.
Next is to ensure a very good level of employment - here again TN scores in the last few years with huge growth - though we are still lagging behind Karnataka.
Rural sector reform – Jaya ensured the “individual farmer” can sell directly to the end customer via the Govt yards despite opposition from middlemen, is another gamechanger. It has ensured huge money flow to the rural sector.
Most importantly one of the best governance – you launch a scheme, it gets implemented all across the state in one go, without having to push the Govt like a “yeruma madu”LOL !!
so one should implement the TN model across the country rather than criticize it !!

Emphasis in blue is by me.

For welfare measures implementation, the TN model may be a good prescription if some minor flaws are removed.

But the corruption in Tamilnadu is highly obnoxious and harmful to the people and so other states who are still not that bad should carefully keep away from the TN model. It can wreck the whole country's progress if followed elsewhere too. TN's institutionalization of corruption from top to bottom, its sycophantic politicians (with an agenda in the sly)and the isms that are sworn by (Annaism, Tamilism, welfarism etc etc.,) are making the Tamils the laughing stock.

The corruption here stinks up to the heavens and no one will be surprised if, being unable to bear the stench, the Kalki Avtar happens here in TN to clean up the accumulated muck. LOL.

Vaagmi JI –

Please tell us- which states are corruption free with high development - so we can investigate & adopt that state model?

Also why are so many immigrating to TN. Migration to a state or city is the "only surest indicator" for development, progress, etc.. ? if corruption is so bad, they all should be packing the bags out of TN OR the corruption in other states are worse ?

So lets not take, personal bad experiences & paint across the entire state… others have had better experiences with the Govt.

Cheers,

ஒரு பானை சொற்றிக்கு ஒரு சோறு பதம்

I would like to share the following news item published in today’s Hindu:

Tax officer held for taking bribes

Sleuths of the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption (DVAC) arrested an Assistant Commissioner of the Commercial Tax Department on charges of taking bribes, at Pammal near Tambaram on Thursday.

K. Rajaram, a commercial tax officer with Velachery circle, reportedly demanded a bribe of Rs. 1.5 lakh from T. Ganesh, a leather exporter from Nedunkundram, near Vandalur, for issuing a refund order.

Police said Rajaram was then the Commercial Tax Officer in charge of the Export Refund Claims unit, and he processed the files and finalised it, but delayed the release of the refund to Mr. Ganesh.

In the meantime, Rajaram was transferred and was posted at the Velachery office. On Thursday, the accused asked Mr. Ganesh to pay a bribe. Ganesh lodged a complaint with DVAC. A DVAC team, led by Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) S.M. Mohamed Iqbal, laid a trap and caught him accepting the bribe.

A case was registered against him and the accused was remanded to judicial custody by Chief Judicial Magistrate, Chengalpattu.

Source: Tax officer held for taking bribes - The Hindu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back