• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Avani Avittam do we need pithur tharpanam for Great Grand Parents

Status
Not open for further replies.
After new Poonul wearing and during Kandharishi Tharpanam, Do all need to do tharpanam or only who lost father or mother have to do pithur tharpanam by wearing poonal as malai. There were lot of confusion and heated arguments. Can some one who is knowledgable, please explain. Certain people believe this tharpanam has to be performed because this is not for immediate parents and this is for great grand parents. Certain people believe you should not do this since your immediate parent at any cost you should not perform this tharpanam. Please some one provide authentic explanation with details.

nobody need to do pithru tharpanam on this day. during avani Avittam. only tharpanam for those rishis who found out these khandams. yajur vedam. aapasthampa suthram.In krishna yajur vedam seven kandams are there. four maharishis are there as the devavatha for these seven kandams. only for these rishis we have to do tharpanam on avani avittam day.by using ponal as malai. no pithru on this day.

After new Poonul wearing and during Kandharishi Tharpanam, Do all need to do tharpanam or only who lost father or mother have to do pithur tharpanam by wearing poonal as malai. There were lot of confusion and heated arguments. Can some one who is knowledgable, please explain. Certain people believe this tharpanam has to be performed because this is not for immediate parents and this is for great grand parents. Certain people believe you should not do this since your immediate parent at any cost you should not perform this tharpanam. Please some one provide authentic explanation with details.

Avani avittam (Aa) is the day on which, one day in a year, brahmins pretend to start vedAdhyayanam but, due to our having moved very far away from true brahmana life styles and occupations (most of us now do servants' job which pertains to the Sudra caste), the custom has evolved of performing the utsarjana or closing of vedaadhyayana also immediately. We thus think we are very clever and are fooling whatever powers that may be, but in fact we are only fooling ourselves.

As a prelude to this abortive attempt at "learning of vedas" we are required to remember with gratitude all the rishis and devatas connected with the veda we start learning, as also our forefathers who have lived and gone beyond. I have found for the last nearly 60 years that pitru tarpana is being offered as part of Aa. It is to be done only by those whose father is no more; others are told, by the vaadhyaar, not to take part, when the pitru tarpana starts. The pitru tarpana is to be offered with the poonal on the right shoulder, and not as maalai or garland; poonal as garland is only for the rishi tarpanam.

Avani avittam (Aa) is the day on which, one day in a year, brahmins pretend to start vedAdhyayanam but, due to our having moved very far away from true brahmana life styles and occupations (most of us now do servants' job which pertains to the Sudra caste), the custom has evolved of performing the utsarjana or closing of vedaadhyayana also immediately. We thus think we are very clever and are fooling whatever powers that may be, but in fact we are only fooling ourselves.

As a prelude to this abortive attempt at "learning of vedas" we are required to remember with gratitude all the rishis and devatas connected with the veda we start learning, as also our forefathers who have lived and gone beyond. I have found for the last nearly 60 years that pitru tarpana is being offered as part of Aa. It is to be done only by those whose father is no more; others are told, by the vaadhyaar, not to take part, when the pitru tarpana starts. The pitru tarpana is to be offered with the poonal on the right shoulder, and not as maalai or garland; poonal as garland is only for the rishi tarpanam.

I understand now. But one more clarification. Do this procedure only for Apasthamba followers. I follow every year different as advised by whoever helps us to perform avani avittam. I am confused now. We are not chanting manthras or names of father or immediate parents. WE do chant only Kanda rishi tharpanam manthras. Can this ritual performed by everyone including brahmacharis, grahasthas who have parents as well. Please explain. In printed sheet it says those who have parents (either father or Mother) no need to do. But in our place, who performed the event says every one has to do. (Please explain).

All must do kanda rishi tharpanam. while doing BRAHMAYAGNAM you must do deva tharpanam in upaveetham, rishi tharpanam in niveethi( as malai) and pithru tharpanam in pracheenaaveetham. Here you are doing tharpanam only to the guardians of your fore fathers, and not to your father, grand father , great grand father. so you need not tell the names of your fore fathers. only in this portion persons who are having their father alive need not do this.

Kindly vide general slokas and mantras thread you will see in the 4th page sama veda upakarma and in the 5th page yajur vedam aapasthampa suthram, and bothaayana suthram, and rik vedamupakarma details in 11 pages. go through them , and then feel free to ask questions.

I understand now. But one more clarification. Do this procedure only for Apasthamba followers. I follow every year different as advised by whoever helps us to perform avani avittam. I am confused now. We are not chanting manthras or names of father or immediate parents. WE do chant only Kanda rishi tharpanam manthras. Can this ritual performed by everyone including brahmacharis, grahasthas who have parents as well. Please explain. In printed sheet it says those who have parents (either father or Mother) no need to do. But in our place, who performed the event says every one has to do. (Please explain).

I had my upanayanam in 1956. From then onwards, in the Avani Avittam the vAdhyAr tells that the pitru tarpanam is only for those who have commenced regular amavasya tarpanam. My father expired in 1999 and till then I was not doing the pitru tarpanam in Aa. After starting regular tarpanam, I have been doing. Since a large number of people belonging to different sytras also come for the Aa, I feel this applies to all the sutras. Besides, once I did Aa in Bangalore when I visited my late Father-in-law during this period. There also the TN origin vadhyar did the same thing. There were many Madhwa Brahmins also there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back