• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Auto origami paper holds promise for packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Shape-shifting paper holds promise for packaging[/h] January 29, 2015

Source: ASM International

5a838e44-54ed-4396-9271-44ab9443654f

A student at The University of British Columbia, Canada, is developing self-folding paper that transforms into multidimensional figures when heated. The technology can be used for everything from origami-like decorations to sustainable packaging and insulation.

Everyone is familiar with ordinary paper sheets that get folded into origami patterns. The team is working on a unique and novel method to create self-folding paper that forms complex 3D structures. The method involves using a computer program to make small cuts and creases in a sheet of paper. A special thermoplastic polymer is then attached to the pre-cut and pre-creased paper and is heated to 110°C for 10 to 20 seconds. As the polymers heat up, they shrink and lift the paper into various angles turning it into a 3D shape.

One simple pattern formed a high-strength structure that is ideal for protecting fragile objects inside a box. When paper is folded into 3D structures, it is light, strong, and inexpensive, making it easy to transport. It also has less environmental impact. Compared to plastic, less energy is used to make the self-folding paper. One day it could be used for noise and heat insulation, toys, folding beds, step stools, and even mattresses, but the main application could be packaging.

Researchers are planning to create and publish a decorative do-it-yourself book for kids that will include decorative designs that they can heat up themselves.

"When I was a kid, my parents enrolled me in a book club and I received a new book every week. The most exciting books were origami books and I still remember how thrilled I was to make a cube from a piece of paper without using glue. While the engineering is amazing, art satisfies my personal interest and the combination of art and science drew me to this project," says Ata Sina, lead researcher.

Shape-shifting paper holds promise for packaging - ASM International

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back