• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Auditory hallucination ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SANDHYAV

ABC model for SCHIZOPHRENIA
The ABC model, which was originally developed by Ellis and Harper,12 can be used to give the patient a way of organizing confusing experiences. It involves slowly and thoroughly moving the patient through the various steps using Socratic questioning to clarify the links between the emotional distress the patient is experiencing and the beliefs he holds (Table). It includes the following steps:

• Based on a scale of 0 to 10, the patient rates the intensity of distress.
  • The consequence (C) is assessed and divided into emotional and behavioral Cs.
  • The patient gives his own explanation as to what activating events (As) seemed to cause C; and the therapist ensures that the factual events are not “contaminated” by judgments and interpretations.
  • The therapist provides feedback to the patient to acknowledge the A-C connection.
  • The therapist assesses the patient's belief, evaluations, and images and communicates to the patient that a personal meaning is lacking in the A-C model; simple examples can be provided to facilitate understanding.
  • The patient's own belief (B), which is actually the cause of C, is then discussed; often, this can be rationalized, and

• a B such as “nobody will like me if I tell them about my voices” can be disputed and changed to

• “I can't demand that everyone likes me. Some people will and some won't...Maybe some friends might find it interesting.” This may lead to a change in C, ie, less sadness and isolation.

Table: Clinical illustration of the ABC model (see case study)12

Activating
event
Beliefs
Consequence

Voices
“Voices are driving me mad”
“I’ll never find the truth”
“The doctors will not tell me the truth”
“I’ll never be normal”
“Voices are in control of my life”
Emotions
Sorrow
Depression
Loneliness
Desperation
Behavior
Isolation

MORE TRICKS FROM INTERNET FOR THIS BENIGN PROB:

1) COUNTER STIMULATION!!
2)techniques that encourage the patient to focus his/her attention on the voices.
3) techniques whose objective is the reduction of anxiety.

These authors affirm that techniques based on
Walkman or reading aloud), though useful in some
patients, fail to produce lasting benefits because they do
not address the basic cognitive disorder involved in
hallucination (the erroneous attribution of the hallucinations
to external agents and not to the subject him/herself).
thoughts, etc.), in which the patient must identify the
voices as being related to him/herself, are more likely to
produce more lasting therapeutic changes.
desensitisation) with which positive results have been
obtained cannot be easily explained through the principle
of attention-focusing.

Slade and Bentall suggest that
the mechanism of change should probably be looked for
elsewhere, and refer to studies that have found a connection
between hallucinations and the increase of physiological
Arousal.

1. counter stimulation (for example, listening to music through a
  2. attention-focusing techniques (e.g. self-monitoring, blocking out of
  3. anxiety-reducing techniques (such as that of systematic

we attempted to determine the molar psychological field formed by the interrelation of the subject with the different physical, social and verbal factors making up his Immediate environment.

We can thus consider that the fundamental element of our work was the direction of our therapeutic efforts, not towards curing a particular disorder or correcting a specific cognitive bias, but towards the construction (or reconstruction) of the subjects field of interrelations with his social and verbal context.

Some paras have been quoted from
[font=helvetica+2][font=helvetica+2][font=helvetica+2]volume 2. Number 1. 1998.
[/font]
[/font]
[/font]psychology in spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back