• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Artificially Intelligent Lawyer “Ross” Has Been Hired By Its First Official Law Firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=1]Artificially Intelligent Lawyer “Ross” Has Been Hired By Its First Official Law Firm[/h]
[h=2]Ross: A Very Smart Artificial Co-worker[/h] Law firm Baker & Hostetler has announced that they are employing IBM’s AI Ross to handle their bankruptcy practice, which at the moment consists of nearly 50 lawyers. According to CEO and co-founder Andrew Arruda, other firms have also signed licenses with Ross, and they will also be making announcements shortly.
Ross, “the world’s first artificially intelligent attorney” built on IBM’s cognitive computer Watson, was designed to read and understand language, postulate hypotheses when asked questions, research, and then generate responses (along with references and citations) to back up its conclusions. Ross also learns from experience, gaining speed and knowledge the more you interact with it.
“You ask your questions in plain English, as you would a colleague, and ROSS then reads through the entire body of law and returns a cited answer and topical readings from legislation, case law and secondary sources to get you up-to-speed quickly,” the website says. “In addition, ROSS monitors the law around the clock to notify you of new court decisions that can affect your case.”
Ross also minimizes the time it takes by narrowing down results from a thousand to only the most highly relevant answers, and presents the answers in a more casual, understandable language. It also keeps up-to-date with developments in the legal system, specifically those that may affect your cases.
[h=2]The Legal Industry Enhanced[/h] Baker & Hostetler chief information officer Bob Craig explains the rationale behind this latest hire: “At BakerHostetler, we believe that emerging technologies like cognitive computing and other forms of machine learning can help enhance the services we deliver to our clients.”
“BakerHostetler has been using ROSS since the first days of its deployment, and we are proud to partner with a true leader in the industry as we continue to develop additional AI legal assistants,” he added.

https://youtu.be/Y_cqBP08yuA

http://futurism.com/artificially-intelligent-lawyer-ross-hired-first-official-law-firm/

OMG! Robots are displacing humans in all places of work - from the lawyer's firm to professor's research desk!

[h=1]Professor reveals to students that his assistant was an AI all along[/h]
To help with his class this year, a Georgia Tech professor hired Jill Watson, a teaching assistant unlike any other in the world. Throughout the semester, she answered questions online for students, relieving the professor's overworked teaching staff.
But, in fact, Jill Watson was an artificial intelligence bot.
Ashok Goel, a computer science professor, did not reveal Watson's true identity to students until after they'd turned in their final exams.
Students were amazed. "I feel like I am part of history because of Jill and this class!" wrote one in the class's online forum. "Just when I wanted to nominate Jill Watson as an outstanding TA in the CIOS survey!" said another.
Advertisement
Now Goel is forming a business to bring the chatbot to the wider world of education. While he doesn't foresee the chatbot replacing teaching assistants or professors, he expects the chatbot's question-answering abilities to be an invaluable asset for massive online open courses, where students often drop out and generally don't receive the chance to engage with a human instructor. With more human-like interaction, Goel expects online learning could become more appealing to students and lead to better educational outcomes.
"To me this is a grand challenge," Goel said. "Education is such a huge priority for the entire human race."
At the start of this semester Goel provided his students with a list of nine teaching assistants, including Jill, the automated question and answering service Goel developed with the help of some of his students and IBM.
Goel and his teaching assistants receive more than 10,000 questions a semester from students on the course's online forum. Sometimes the same questions are asked again and again. Last year he began to wonder if he could automate the burden of answering so many repetitive questions.
As Goel looked for a technology that could help, he settled on IBM Watson, which he had used for several other projects. Watson, an artificial intelligence system, was designed to answer questions, so it seemed like a strong fit.
To train the system to answer questions correctly, Goel fed it forum posts from the class's previous semesters. This gave Jill an extensive background in common questions and how they should be answered.
Goel tested the system privately for months, having his teaching assistants examine whether Jill's answers were correct. Initially the system struggled with similar questions such as "Where can I find assignment two?" and "When is assignment two due?" Goel tweaked the software, adding more layers of decision-making to it. Eventually Jill reached the point where its answers were good enough.
"I cannot create chaos in my classroom. Jill had to be almost as perfect as a human TA or I am," Goel said.
The system is only allowed to answer questions if it calculates that it is 97 percent or more confident in its answer. Goel found that was the threshold at which he could guarantee the system was accurate.
There are many questions Jill can't handle. Those questions were reserved for human teaching assistants.
Goel plans to use Jill again in a class this fall, but will likely change its name so students have the challenge of guessing which teaching assistant isn't human.
"A really fun thing in this class has been once students knew about Jill they were so motivated, so engaged. I've never seen this kind of motivation and engagement," Goel said. "What a beautiful way of teaching artificial intelligence."
Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back