• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Amma no more: Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only party colleagues and her PA/friend were there for her final sendoff. And they obviously chose burial.
And even if it was a political decision, it was well thought out. After all you don't want to be openly seen doing things to a departed leader, that are fundamentally against what the party stands for and believes in.

It boiled down to the fact that she had no family and there was no representation from her caste/community/jumbomumbo. So what her party decided was carried out. Nothing wrong with that. Was surprised to see her nephew along with PA when coffin was lowered. Thought the PA had banished all family members to avoid 'complications'.

I just wish the whole thing was done a lot more elegantly though, with lesser pushing, pulling and shoving. What the heck were all those policemen doing there taking photos. Ridiculous. The place was literally overflowing with multi colour caps. A typical sunday evening Ranganathan Street spectacle it turned out to be. And pappu was seen giggling and yapping. Gross.

Only party colleagues and her PA/friend were there for her final sendoff. And they obviously chose burial.
And even if it was a political decision, it was well thought out. After all you don't want to be openly seen doing things to a departed leader, that are fundamentally against what the party stands for and believes in.

Seriously?

So its Ok to deny a person her rightful final send off just becos it does not go well with the ideology of the party?

Yeh Kya Ideology Hain?

When it comes to a final send off..what matters is the deceased well being and not politics!

So its Ok to deny a person her rightful final send off just becos it does not go well with the ideology of the party?

Some news stories indicate she wished to be buried next to MGR.

Anyway, when you have devoted your life to a particular ideology why should death/after-death be any different? Just saying...

I hope Forum members especially Iyengars can shed some light here.

Many of us our here in Msia too are surprised that JJ did not have a cremation.

There better be some logical explanation for this and not just becos of the pseudo atheistic mindset of the party she led but what ever said and done..shouldn't a persons final send off be in accordance with his/her heritage by birth..after all even if the ruling party has pseudo-atheistic views still Hindus of any kind cremate the dead in TN.

Iyengars of the forum..Vadakalais or Thenkalais...please kindly shed some light.

First of all you need some one to perform the last rights. As per hindu beliefs Son has to do this, if there is no son, then son-in law ( there are different opinion on this from cast to cast) failing which Husband ( incase the deceased is a lady) failing which the brother of the deceased, failing which immediate male relative etc.. like that. In this case no such persons were available ( or possibily no one was allowed to by closes asociates of JJ) What ever so called rituals were there was done by Sasikala which agains seems to be not as per practiced norms in Hindu faith. So I think the party has had the last call in this issue.

Why was Jayalalithaa buried, and not cremated?

Her burial allows for a memorial to be erected, keeping Jayalalithaa’s memory alive in the public imagination.

Late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa was laid to rest next to her mentor and former CM MG Ramachandran along the Marina Beach in Chennai on Tuesday. A practicing Iyengar in her private life, Jayalalithaa was buried near the MGR memorial. While her close-aide Sasikala, along with Jayalalithaa’s late-brother’s son Deepak Jayaraman, performed the last rites at the funeral, the decision to opt for a burial rather than a cremation has raised eyebrows.
Many political analysts believe that being the leader of a Dravidian party, whose followers in theory believe in rationalism and atheism, she was given a burial just as her predecessors MGR, Annadurai and Periyar were buried. Quoting a senior government secretary, Indian Express writes, “She was beyond any caste or religious identity. Even most of all the Dravidian leaders, including Periyar, Annadurai and MGR, were all buried and we do not have a precedent of consigning their body to flames even after death. So, we bury them with sandalwood and rose water.”

However, TN Gopalan, a veteran journalist points out that rituals were carried out by Sasikala and Deepak in the presence of Brahmin priest before the burial. “It may have been a question carrying on MGR’s legacy and being honoured in the same tradition. When Periyar was buried it was considered a sign of rebellion. But MGR wanted to be known as a disciple of Periyar and Anna, and that’s why he had a burial,” he notes.

……………………
……………………

If Jayalalithaa had been cremated, the last rites would have had to be conducted by a blood relative. Although Deepak was present at the funeral, Sasikala and her family may have deliberately opted for a burial to avoid giving him pride of place. Deepak’s sister Deepa had attempted to visit Jayalalithaa a number of times at Apollo Hospital in Chennai, where she was admitted but was prevented from entering the premises.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/why-was-jayalalithaa-buried-and-not-cremated-53931

A candid interview of JJ with Simi Grewal in 1999 is doing the rounds..Shows the real mettle of JJ

[h=1]I don’t think anyone has taken more criticism than I have: Jaya told Simi Garewal[/h] By Online Desk | Published: 06th December 2016 01:25 AM |
Last Updated: 06th December 2016 03:05 AM | A+A A- |

Jayalalithaa-PTI.jpg
A file photo of TN Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa
Simi Garewal: Whether it’s a movie star or a politician, few can match the charisma of my guest tonight. Or for that matter few can match her political skills or her sheer courage. I’ve been watching her from a distance for many years, and I’ve heard her described as intimidating, highly complex, imperious. When I met her in Chennai I was struck by how incredibly forthright and gracious she was. And very human. Dr J Jayalalithaa. Jayaji, such a pleasure to finally meet and talk to you. Thank you giving me this opportunity.
Jayalalithaa: It’s my pleasure.
Simi: I have watched your political career over the years. It’s been a very brave journey, more than perhaps a film script, hasn’t it?
Jayalalithaa: It’s been a tempestuous life and career.
Simi: You’ve been through trials, triumphs, crises. How is it that you’ve never shown fear or anger or any other emotion? I know you must have them.
Jayalalithaa: Yes, of course, I’m human like everyone else. I do experience emotions and I wouldn’t be normal if I didn’t experience feelings of anger and other emotions but when you are a leader, you learn to control your emotions. You learn not to show them openly, you have to.
Simi: Is it necessary to appear to be tougher than one actually is to be accepted as a leader in this patriarchal world of politics?
Jayalalithaa: I’ve never consciously tried to appear tough. I suppose whatever I’ve done, my actions and reactions have made me appear tough. But I’ve never consciously attempted to appear tough.
Simi: You always have this serene, calm exterior. I want to know what lies behind it.
Jayalalithaa: I always keep my emotions to myself. They are not for public display. I have never lost my temper in public. I’ve never wept in public.
Simi: How did you manage to do that?
Jayalalithaa: I have a lot of will power, a lot of self-control.
Simi: But do you think politics has made you tougher?
Jayalalithaa: Of course, yes. I wasn’t like this at all. When I started out, I was very shy, terrified of meeting strangers. I’m a person who hates the limelight.
Simi: Isn’t that surprising?
Jayalalithaa: It’s very surprising. I’ve been propelled by fate into two very high-profile careers. But I’m really a behind-the-scenes person.
Simi: Do you think your childhood has a bearing on your present life and your present personality?
Jayalalithaa: None at all. I was brought up in a very traditional way by my grandparents. I was born into a Tamil Brahmin family, an Iyengar family. And I was brought up in a typical orthodox way.
Simi: Your father died when you were two.
Jayalalithaa: Yes. He was a gentleman of leisure. My paternal grandfather was a palace surgeon in the court of the Maharaja of Mysore. He had built up a great fortune but my father squandered away the family fortune.
Simi: So your mother was a widow at the age of twenty with two children and she was very beautiful.
Jayalalithaa: She was a very beautiful lady.
Simi: That’s a very difficult position for a woman to be in.
Jayalalithaa: Yes.
Watch Part 1 of the interview here:
Simi: How did you subsequently enter films?
Jayalalithaa: She was working in the secretariat in Bangalore. I had an aunt, my mother’s younger sister, who was a very bold and adventurous sort. She first became an air-hostess and that was considered very daring and adventurous in those days. After that she became an actress. Since my aunt was working in films, a number of producers and directors used to come home to see her. They happened to see my mother and they were struck by her looks. And Mother received a number of offers and that’s how she came to films.
Simi: When you were in Bangalore, your mother was in Madras and you were about four years old.
Jayalalithaa: When I was four years old, the family shifted to Madras and Mother became so busy with films that my brother and I were left entirely to the case of servants. So she thought this was not a healthy atmosphere to grow up in. So for four years, from six to ten, I was in Bangalore, living with my grandparents, separated from my mother.
Simi: Was the separation hard?
Jayalalithaa: I missed her terribly.
Simi: Did she visit you often?
Jayalalithaa: She visited me whenever she could, but that wasn’t very often. And I remember, when I was about five, and she had come to Bangalore to see us, I always used to cry whenever she left, so she used to put me to sleep and I always used to sleep clutching her sari pallu in my hands. I used to wind it tight around my hand. So my mother used to find it impossible to get up and leave. So leaving the edge of the sari in my hand, she used to gradually unwind the sari from herself, and she used to make my aunt drape the sari around herself and lie down beside me so that I wouldn’t notice her leaving. And then of course when I got up and found that Mother was gone, I would cry and cry and cry, I used to be inconsolable for about three days. But after that there was school and other things and I would get over it. But throughout those four years when I was in Bangalore, I was pining for my mother every minute, every second.
Simi: You may say that childhood doesn’t have a bearing on one’s life, psychologically, Jayaji, it does. It carries through in one’s life.
Jayalalithaa: Perhaps. When I look back in life, I seem to have spent so little time with my mother. I never really was satiated with the kind of love I expected and wanted and needed from my mother. Because there simply wasn’t enough time. I did come to Madras to live with her from the time I turned 10, from 10 to 16, but then Mother was so busy, she would leave in the morning, she would leave for work, before I woke up and most days she would come back home only after I had gone to sleep. I remember once I had won the first prize for an English essay I’d written at school and so I was so anxious to show this essay to her and show her the prize I’d won, I stayed up long part my usual bed time. It was I think midnight when Mother came back, and she found me sleeping on the sofa in the living room. And she asked me what I was doing there and why I wasn’t in my bedroom. I was holding the prize I’d won and my notebook with my essay in my hand, so I showed them to her. That is one of my treasured memories.
Simi: You were stuying in a convent, weren’t you?
Jayalalithaa: Yes. The days I spent at school were the happiest, most normal days of my life.
Simi: Did you have normal schoolgirl dreams and crushes and things like that?
Jayalalithaa: Yes, indeed. I remember having a great crush on Nari Contractor, the cricketer. I used to go to Test matches just to watch him. And I used to have another great crush on Shammi Kapoor,
Simi: He’ll be delighted. Did you ever get to meeting Shammi Kapoor?
Jayalalithaa: I don’t think I ever met him, no.
Simi: Sometimes it’s better to leave one’s fantasies as they are, don’t you agree?
Jayalalithaa: One of my favourite films even today is Junglee, the yahoo song.
Simi: What is your all-time favourite song?
Jayalalithaa: I can’t think of just one, there are so many.
Simi: Tell me some of them.
Jayalalithaa: There was a song in Do Ankhen Barah Haath, ‘Ae malik tere bande hum’. That’s one of my favourite song.
Simi: Can you sing it?
Jayalalithaa: Not now, I’m out of practice. Then there was ‘Aaja sanam madhur chandni mein hum,’ from Chori Chori.
Simi: Can you sing that?
Jayalalithaa: Not now, I’m out of practice.
Simi: Just one line?
Jayalalithaa: (sings) I’m out of practice. Aaja sanam madhur chandni mein hum, tum mile to v[FONT=Tahoma, serif]irane mein bhi aa jayegi bahaar..’[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, serif]Simi:[/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, serif] Tell me, is it true that some of your school friends used to mock you about your mother being an actress?[/FONT]
Jayalalithaa: Some of them, yes. Some of them used to do that.
Simi: You’ve said that it gave you a terribly inferiority complex.
Jayalalithaa: Yes, of course.
Simi: What did they say?
Jayalalithaa: You see these girls who came from the upper crust of society, born into wealthy families, and though I was born into a wealthy aristocratic family myself, those I was rather tongue-tied, if anyone insulted me or humiliated me, I didn’t know how to retort. I used to go home and cry. But today I’m very different. Today I give as good as I get or even more than I get (laughs). But it’s true that some of my schoolmates used to mock at me because my mother was an actress, and I think they did that because she wasn’t a leading lady. If she had been a topmost star, one of the leading stars of her time day, I think they would have envied me but Mother was a character actress. She used to play mother’s roles, sister’s roles, so probably that was the reason why they probably looked down upon me.
Simi: Children can very cruel.
Jayalalithaa: They can be. They were. But probably subconsciously I’d make up for that by standing first in class, I was a brilliant student. I stood first in every subject constantly, and when I left school I won the award for the best outgoing student of the year. I was the unanimous choice of the headmistress and the teachers. And till today I consider that my proudest achievement.
Simi: At the age of 16, you were on the threshold of an academic career, you won a scholarship to join a college. That was when your mother pressurized into acting. Did you resist it?
Jayalalithaa: I tried. For three days, there was a battle royal at home. I wept, I raged, I argued. But what can one do when one is sixteen? I was just a child and I couldn’t run away from home. And then Mother explained the family circumstances to me. She told me that she was not getting too many film offers. My grandfather had retired. We had to support my grandparents, my aunt and her children, and my brother hadn’t completed his education. So my mother let me understand that there was no other way out really, that I had to earn and support the family. So when she explained the family circumstances to me, I was, to put it mildly, shocked. Because until then I had the impression that we were very wealthy. Mother had never allowed her worries to bother me or my brother. Right from the time we were born, we grew up thinking we were millionaire’s children. She gave us the best of everything. Anything we wanted was there the next day. So we never really knew or understood how much she had to struggle to give us this kind of an upbringing. So when I finally understood, my whole attitude changed. Then I felt a lot of sympathy for my mother. And I thought Mother had been through enough struggle and Mother had suffered so much in her life that I felt it wasn’t fair to expect her to keep on struggling and keep on suffering for our sakes. Then I thought it was my duty to provide relief to my mother, and take on the burden of supporting the family. So that is when I told Mother to return the scholarship, and accepted the film offers that had come our way. But everything was handed to me on a golden platter. Offers were pouring in by themselves. So she said make use of it, why not take it.

Watch Part 2 of the interview here:

Simi: You’ve done over 125 films?
Jayalalithaa: yes.
Simi: How do you look back on your acting career in those days?
Jayalalithaa: Well, I was the number one star of my time in the south and I was a great success.
Simi: You were a great success no doubt. Personally what was it like for you?
Jayalalithaa: I didn’t like it. But when I decide to do something, whether I like it or not, I give it my all. I must excel in it. I must do it superlatively well. So, though I hated my career in films, though I was the number one star of my time, and though I really shouldn’t say I don’t like politics, people say I’m a successful politician. And a good one. I’m surprised myself.
Simi: Did you like the process of pretending and dancing and impersonating, did you like that process?
Jayalalithaa: I can’t say I liked it, but it came naturally to me. I’m a natural actress. I never followed any method. I never consciously tried to imitate anyone. I’m a spontaneous natural actress.
Simi: Your mother was the driving force of your career, wasn’t she?
Jayalalithaa: Yes, of course, but for her I wouldn’t have come to films, I’d never have learnt dancing.
Simi: At 23 when she died, how did you manage without her?
Jayalalithaa: I was lost. I was like a babe in the woods blindfolded because Mother was my whole world. But she never taught me anything practical. You see, she kept me so sheltered. Mother was 47 when she died. No one thought she would die so young. She probably thought she would be around for a long time to take care of me. She probably thought that I was so overburdened with work that these other things could come later. But the net result was that I was left absolutely helpless when she died. I didn’t know anything about running a house, I didn’t know how to operate a bank account, I didn’t know how to write a cheque, I didn’t know the meaning of income tax, I didn’t know how many servants we had, I didn’t know what their salaries were, I didn’t what the producers were paying me. So being an innocent babe lost in the woods, everyone could see that I was so naïve and vulnerable and innocent. Everyone took advantage of me. I had to learn everything the hard way.
Simi: I believe you had said you even thought of ending your life. Things were that desperate at that point.
Jayalalithaa: I think that is anything unusual. Sensitive people, emotional people go through these phases in life. It’s a part of growing up.
Simi: But that feeling is the very end.
Jayalalithaa: It is, no doubt. I have experienced that feeling. But I have overcome that and I have survived. And that is what is important. I didn’t succumb to that feeling. But of course I did feel lost when Mother died. I didn’t think I could manage without her, I didn’t I could cope with life for even a single day. But then look at me now. I’m surprised at myself.
Simi: Your life changed when MGR entered it. You did 28 films together?
Simi: And he brought you into politics.
Simi: Did you fall in love with him.
Jayalalithaa: I think everyone who met him fell in love with him. He was a charismatic figure. When I was a child, I used to see his sword fights, his fencing in films. And his partner in these films was the famous villain P S Veerappa. And after seeing these films, my brother and I used to come home and we used to have these mock fights with sticks. I was always MGR and my brother was always the villain. I always used to win because I was MGR. So the hero worship started when I was a child.
Simi: What was he like as a person. He was a mystery to us.
Jayalalithaa: He was a very warm and caring kind of a person. And after Mother died, he replaced her in my life. He was everything to me. He was mother, father, friend, philosopher, guide. Everything. He sort of took over my life.
Simi: Was he dominating?
Jayalalithaa: Yes, both my mother and Mr MGR were very strong characters. They dominated my life entirely. They were the two major influences in my life. While Mother was there, she dominated my life completely. And after Mother, Mr MGR dominated my life completely.
Simi: Were you in awe of him?
Jayalalithaa: Not in awe of him. I was never in awe of him. But I respected him a great deal. I admired his intellect. And I had a lot of sympathy because he had a hard life too.
Simi: He was very possessive with you, wasn’t he?
Jayalalithaa: Pardon?
Simi: He was very possessive of you.
Jayalalithaa: Maybe? Perhaps.
Simi: He didn’t want you to work in films outside.
Jayalalithaa: No, but I did.
Simi: He didn’t want you to. But you still did.
Jayalalithaa: No, after a point I stopped working with other artistes. But I did the maximum number of films, 28.
Simi: Jayaji, have you found unconditional love?
Jayalalithaa: No.
Simi: Never?
Jayalalithaa: No. I don’t think there is anything such as unconditional love. I think it exists in books, in novels, in poems, in films. Not in real life. In any case, I have never come across anything like that.
Simi: Would you say there is more male chauvinism in films or in politics?
Jayalalithaa: I think both are equally bad. But in films, a woman is an essential commodity. Whether you like it or not, you need the glamour that women can provide. You can’t do without them. In politics, you can do without them, they try very hard to do without them. But where people like me are concerned, it’s not so easy to wish me away. Many people would love to.
Simi: Jayaji, whenever a woman is successful, the world always manages to give the credit to a man. It seems to me that the greatest battles you have fought and won were after MGR died.
Jayalalithaa: You are absolutely right. Because as long as he was there, he was the leader. I only had to follow his instructions. After his death I was left to fend for myself. I was left totally alone. And he didn’t smoothen the way for me to become his success. He didn’t. Not like Indira Gandhi did for Rajiv Gandhi. She groomed him, paved the way so that he could smoothly move to take over as her successor. Now if you look at all the other women leaders who have made it to the top in Asia, they were all the daughters, wives or widows of former prime ministers or presidents. Because if you’re a wife, automatically so much respect is given to you. People talk about you, refer to you, with respect. But such wasn’t the case with me. Though Dr MGR introduced me to politics, he certainly didn’t smoothen the way for me, he didn’t make anything easy for me. I had to fight and struggle my way up every inch of the way.
Simi: Could you ever have imagined the path that lay ahead?
Jayalalithaa: No, I think sometimes it’s a good thing that we don’t know what lies ahead of us. Because if I had known that I would have to traverse such a difficult, rocky thorny path, I’d probably have died of fear.
Simi: What would you say was your hardest time?
Jayalalithaa: The biggest battle I had to fight was to consolidate my position in the party, to assert my supremacy after his death. That was the most difficult and traumatic time. My heart was not in it, but then there are times when you have to just keep going, when you have to keep going, you can’t stop.
Simi: Why do you say your heart wasn’t in it?
Jayalalithaa: There was so much mud slung at me, I had to face so many brickbats. I had to face so much vilification and slander. That hasn’t been easy. If I had been an academician, if I’d been a lawyer, no one would have said such nasty things about me. When people interview an actor or a professional like a doctor or lawyer, the very attitude is so respectful. But when it comes to a politician, the questions are so downright demeaning, insulting, humiliating. People who know nothing about you, who’ve never met you, say such vile things about you, and you have to take it with a smile. That’s very difficult. And it’s not true that if you are in politics long enough you grow a thick skin. It never happens. If you are born sensitive, you stay sensitive till the end of your life. If you are hypersensitive like I am, you feel the pain magnified a thousandfold that perhaps another person would. And then having to face this kind of slander, the kind of terrible distorted image that has been built up of me in the media. That really hurt. That’s not me, that’s not what I am.
Simi: Do you think that you intimidate men?
Jayalalithaa: You must ask them. I think I do. (Laughs). Nowadays most men I meet are terrified of me.
Simi: Why do you think?
Jayalalithaa: Probably it’s this image I have. And I don’t take any nonsense from anyone nowadays. That old Jayalalithaa is gone. The Jayalalithaa who used to be tongue-tied when someone insulted her, when someone was rude to her, who didn’t know how to answer back, who didn’t know how to retort, who used to keep quiet, who used to withdraw into herself, who used to cringe inwards, who used to go home and shut the door and cry in a dark room. That Jayalalithaa has gone, dead forever. I don’t think I’ve said this before, I’m saying this now, I’m not one who goes looking for a fight. Generally I’m very reserved. I speak only when I’m spoken to. But if a fight comes my way, I won’t run away. And nowadays, if someone gives me one blow, I’ll give back ten. I don’t take nonsense from anyone nowadays. Life has made me like that. I wasn’t like this before. In fact, I’m surprised at the way I have changed.
Simi: Your critics, your male critics have implied that you are a man hater. Are you?
Jayalalithaa: No, not at all. I’m not a man hater. And not my male critics. Some of my worst critics have been women. I can’t say which one is worse.
Simi: Do you trust people easily?
Jayalalithaa: I used to. I was very naïve, very vulnerable, very gullible. But now I know better. But still, my basic instinct is to trust. I have to fight it.
Simi: You’ve been disillusioned.
Jayalalithaa: Yes. Certainly. I’ve been disillusioned by the world, by life. If I could I’d like to retire to the mountains and live like a sanyasin. Mentally that’s how I am living.
Simi: Would you say you are a good judge of people?
Jayalalithaa: Now, yes.
Simi: But for many years you weren’t
Jayalalithaa: No.
Simi: What does a person have to do to win your trust?
Jayalalithaa: They just have to be straightforward.
Simi: How would you tell?
Jayalalithaa: I can make out. I can tell. Nowadays I can.
Simi: How do you deal with criticism?
Jayalalithaa: I don’t think anyone has taken more criticism than I have.
Simi: Do you cut it out of your life, do you deny it, do you let it affect your life, do you pay heed? What do you do?
Jayalalithaa: The thing is I have been kept so busy, I never really had the time to sit and think about it. If I had it would have shattered me.
Simi: Jayaji, you have come in for a lot of criticism because of your association with Mrs Sasikala. And yet you continue to stand by her. Why? Why do you do this?
Jayalalithaa: She is a much misunderstood maligned person. And she has been the target of a lot of vilification and persecution simply because of her loyalty to me and her closeness to me. If it had not been her friendship with me, no one would have attacked her in the way she has been attacked. You know, she had to spend nearly a year in prison. She has suffered a lot. Most of the criticism has come from men. Men who are politicians too. You see, it is impossible for someone who is in the thick of politics to run a political career and manage a household. But most men don’t understand this. Because they have their women at home. They have their wives or mothers to look after their personal needs. Now for example, I can’t go out shopping. Someone has to do my shopping for me. And I have to leave at odd times, I have to leave in a hurry. There’s no time for me to lock up the house or to see that everything is safely put away. I just can’t attend to these practical things. Someone has to manage things for me. She does all that. So she to me is the sister I never had. And she has taken my mother’s place, she looks after me. There are many who think it would be useful to them to be in her place. So these are the people who created all these nasty stories about her. Because they tried to separate her from me and tried to worm their way into my good books and tried to get into the place that she occupies but they didn’t succeed.
Simi: But they have cast so many aspersions and insinuations about her. How do you deal with that?
Jayalalithaa: In fact I filed a defamation suit against a former Union minister for casting aspersions on my relationship with Mrs Sasikala. That is Murasoli Maran. I filed a criminal defamation suit against him.
Simi: Jayaji, there are all these criminal cases against you. Are you troubled by them?
Jayalalithaa: Not at all because I know that I’ll be vindicated in the end. All these cases that have been foisted against me are all politically motivated. They will not stand up in the court, and I will win in the end.
Simi: Do you think that people in power can sometimes get carried away by the trappings of power and lose their perspective and then they only realize it in hindsight.

Jayalalithaa: It happens very often. It is every easy to get carried away by the trappings of power. But you need to have someone with you who is always there to bring you down to earth. Now when my mother was alive, I could always depend upon her to tell me the truth. And she was always there to bring me down to earth with a thud.Whenever it looked like I was getting carried away, now when Mr MGR was alive, I could never dream of getting carried away. He was always there to give me a knock on the head and bring me down to earth. Now in my case Mrs Sasikala does that. I can always depend upon her to tell me the truth as it is. And if she feels something is going wrong, she never hesitates to tell me so. And I take it from her as I would when my mother was alive.
Simi: You have been attacked, humiliated, injured, jailed even. Do you ever feel it is not worth it?Well, I don’t need this?
Jayalalithaa: Nothing really was worth the humiliation I suffered when I was attacked in the Assembly, on the floor of the Legislative Assembly on March 25[SUP]th[/SUP] 1989. In the presence of the chief minister, Mr Karunandhi, with both his wives watching from the VIP boxes. All his ministers and MLAs physically assaulted me. They grabbed everything they could lay their hands upon, chairs, mikes, a heavy brass bell on the speaker’s table. If they had succeeded in banging it on my head, I wouldn’t be alive today. My MLAs saved me that day. And one of them even tried to pull at my sari. They pulled at my hair. In fact, they tore out some of my hair. They threw chappals at me. They threw heavy bundles of papers, books at me. That day I left the Assembly in tears. But I was also angry. I made a vow that day. I said I will never set foot in this Assembly again as long as this man continues to be the chief minister. And when I do enter this Assembly again, I will enter as chief minister. And I fulfilled my vow within two years. I did it. I don’t think this has happened to any other woman in politics. That was a bad experience. Then my being sent to jail. That was I think the worst moment of my life. It was a miserable situation. Among all the prisons in Tamil Nadu, the Madras Central Prison is the worst. It is the most unhygienic, dirtiest prisons imaginable. And the place where I was kept, was a condemned building. This was reopened in my honour. You must have seen some of these old English movies where they show these medieval dungeons. It was exactly like that. A dark dungeon, it had not been swept or cleaned for years probably, there were cobwebs hanging everywhere, growth of fungus everywhere and all kinds of vermin crawling all over the place. You could have conducted a zoology class there. There were big rats, sewer rats, bandicoots. I had to sit or lie down on the bare floor, and our Madras Central Prison is situated bang on the banks of the Cooum river, which is nothing but an open sewer. It was stinking to high hell. I stayed there for a month.
Simi: You didn’t cry?
Jayalalithaa: I didn’t cry. I didn’t shed a single tear. I steeled myself the moment I was made to step inside the police van. I said I will bear everything whatever comes with fortitude. I was absolutely calm, absolutely dignified. I didn’t throw any tantrums. They were asking all these questions: Is she crying, is she upset. They were trying to break my spirit but they didn’t succeed. It was one of the worst times in my life.
Simi: Politics is a very brutal process. Has it made you cynical?
Jayalalithaa: I think it would make anyone cynical. But I’m not a true cynic though I try to sound like one.
Simi: Are you moody?
Jayalalithaa: At home. It’s very difficult to put up with me at home.
Simi: Really? Who suffers the consequences?
Jayalalithaa: Sasikala! My staff, poor things, I’m a very demanding, exacting task master.
Simi: Are you impulsive?
Jayalalithaa: I used to be. Nowadays I weigh every step, I measure every step, I weigh the pros and cons. I think about the possible fallout of any act of mine. I wasn’t like this before.
Simi: Why did you never marry, Jayaji?
Jayalalithaa: It just never happened.
Simi: But did you ever someone you’d have liked t have married?
Jayalalithaa: Not really. I did like the idea of marriage as any young girl would. Every young girl dreams of meeting the perfect man, her prince charming, or marrying him and living happily ever after. I too had those dreams as a teenager, as a young girl. If my mother had got me married at the age of 18, even an arranged marriage, I’d have settled down happily in a life of domesticity. I’d have been content looking after my house, raising children. But life taught me that such things don’t happen to everyone. And it’s unrealistic to expect happiness in life.
Simi: Do you missing not having a complete family?
Jayalalithaa: Not at all. I value my freedom, my independence. And looking around me at so many failed marriages, and looking at all the unhappiness that people have to endure in bad marriages, and in many families, I’ve seen children are so ungrateful to their parents. Nowadays young people are so insensitive, they just abandon their aged parents, throw them away into old age homes. But when I see all this, I think it’s a good thing that I never got married, I never had children. I wouldn’t have it any different. I like the way I’m living now. I’m free to make my own decisions. Of course I have obligations to my party workers. I have my obligations to the public. I have my duties to fulfil. But personally I am untied, unfettered, unbound. I don’t have to think in terms of pleasing anyone. That makes me sound very selfish, but not really. You see, for most of my life, I’d say for one third of my life, I was entirely dominated by my mother. I’d do everthing that she wanted. I could never do anything I really wanted. Then, for the other part of my life, I was entirely dominated by Mr MGR. First, I had to enter films for my mother’s sake, then I had to enter politics for Mr MGR’s sake. Now I’m passing through the last phase of my life. Two-thirds of my life is over, one-third remains. Now I’m living for myself. But you still you see there is the hangover, rather the consequences of my earlier life that can’t be wished away. There are some responsibilities, some duties that I have to fulfil. I have pledged that I will bring back my party to power in Tamil Nadu. I have to achieve that. Then when I will be able to say goodbye to politics, then I will really be free.
Simi: Jayaji, this has been a wonderful evening for me. I cherish this time we spent together. I want to thank you for being so honest and so gracious.
Jayalalithaa: It’s been a wonderful experience for me too. And it is a tribute to your charm and charming persuasion and talent that you’ve been able to elicit answers from me which no one ever could dream of doing until today.
(The interview text has been taken from the official website of Simi Garewal, and the videos have been taken from YouTube.)

http://www.newindianexpress.com/sta...an-i-have-jaya-told-simi-garewal-1546016.html

Interesting stuff on the timing of cremation!! JJ is very superstitious! We were told that all rituals as per tradition were done at her Poes Garden residence when her body arrived in the early hours of yesterday!!

Jayalalithaa: Why funeral procession on Tuesday after 4.30 pm

The time of cremation was also decided in accordance with astrology.

Prabhash K Dutta | Posted by Nivedita Dash
New Delhi, December 6, 2016 | UPDATED 10:28 IST

In 1999, Jayaram Jayalalitha shocked Indian politics by suddenly withdrawing support to the then Atal Behari Vajpayee government. Differences were political and but the decision was influenced by astrology.
Before announcing withdrawal of support, Jayalalithaa reportedly locked herself up in her New Delhi hotel room. She refused to meet anyone as the moon was in its inauspicious eighth house.
After having consulted her astrologers, Jayalalithaa gave the letter of withdrawal of AIADMK's support to the Vajpayee government. That was to be handed over after 9 am but before 10 am. It happened that way only on April 14.Such was Jayalalithaa's belief in astrology.
STRONG BELIEF IN ASTROLOGY
Born in a very conservative Iyengar family, Jayaram Jayalalithaa had absolute faith in astrology and numerology. Jayalalithaa would not do anything without consulting astrologers and which was not suited according to Panchangam- the Tamil calendar.
She was known to take all decisions, big or small in accordance with Panchangam.
If she were to announce any scheme, Jayalalithaa would consult astrologers for the date and exact time of the launch. Jayalalithaa would do new things during the muhurta of Budhan Horai of Panchagam.
She once cancelled the oath-taking ceremony because she found out at the last moment that the time was not auspicious.
WHY AN EXTRA 'A'
In 2001, the then Jayalalitha added an extra 'a' to her name. The name change was attributed to a yajna that she performed a year ago to goddess Kali at a temple in Thanjavur.
The yajna was performed with the aim of coming back to power, which she did in the 2001-assembly elections and then the journalists were asked to spell her name with 12 characters instead of 11- from Jayalalitha to Jayalalithaa.
AND, THE FINAL ONE
Based on the analysis of her birth chart, she believed that that numbers 5 and 7 were auspicious for her.
And, what an irony that she breathed her last on December 5. The Apollo Hospital's statement said that her demise took place at 11.30 pm- half-an-hour to December 6.
Given her popularity and emotional connect with the people of Tamil Nadu, it was only natural to keep her body till Wednesday the least to allow as many followers as possible to pay their last respects to the departed soul.
It would have been befitting farewell to a leader of Jayalalithaa's stature and mass connect. However, people close to her in AIADMK decided not to wait even for 12 hours because of Jayalalithaa's beliefs in astrology.
Tomorrow (Wednesday) is Ashtami. And, Jayalalithaa would not do any new thing on Ashtami of the Panchangam. How could the final journey begin on Ashtami!
The time of cremation was also decided in accordance with astrology.
According to Tamil Panchangam there is a Rahu Kala during 3.30 pm to 4.30 pm. Jayalalithaa would not do anything during the period of Rahu Kala. So, the wait till 4.30 pm before the funeral procession is taken out.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...ession-on-tuesday-after-4-30-pm/1/827803.html

Unlike other Dravidian leaders, J Jayalalithaa was a religious individual who’d often pray and was even seen with an Iyengar Namam on her forehead. Yet the state government and the Sasikala family took the decision to bury her instead of cremating, as is the norm for Iyengars. A senior government official explained the decision claiming that Jaya wasn’t cremated because she was ‘beyond caste or religious identity’. He told Indian Express: “She was not an Iyengar for us. She was beyond any caste or religious identity. Even most of all the Dravidian leaders, including Periyar, Annadurai and MGR, were all buried and we do not have a precedent of consigning their body to flames even after death. So, we bury them with sandalwood and rose water.” The burial of these leaders also allows their resting places to become a form of memorial.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...-was-buried-instead-of-being-cremated-2280369

Seriously?

Yeh Kya Ideology Hain?

When it comes to a final send off..what matters is the deceased well being and not politics!
hi

for some..political party is above caste/personal choices...any way...finally joined with M G R samadhi....in reality....she

can't joined as wife of M G R....but in the end..atleast in coffin ...i saw iyengar vadhyar conducted the ritual...if it is

cremated....many hard core party workers are ready to do SATI with her....so its burial is OKAY...

Last edited:
[h=1]TN govt decides: Rs 15 cr memorial, recommend Jaya for Bharat Ratna[/h]December 10, 2016 19:28

11jaya2.jpg

Resolutions passed in Tamil Nadu cabinet meeting:

* MGR memorial will be renamed to 'Bharat Ratna Dr MGR and Jayalalithaa' memorial.

* Jayalalithaa memorial to be built at a cost of Rs 15 crore

* Recommend Centre to bestow Bharat Ratna on Jayalalithaa.

* Request central government to install a bronze statue inside Parliament campus.

http://news.rediff.com/commentary/2...bharat-ratna/89ebbf5256969fb2b7b5023caf3bfd2a

Voice of one among the mass

Why I cried for Jayalalithaa after spending a life-time disagreeing with her

'As I see her last procession to the burial ground, it is a strange love that rises up to my throat.'

I can’t remember the last time I had a lump in my throat when a politician died. I do today. I surprise myself because I have never voted for the person, hated her brand of leadership and rarely agreed with her for the most part of her career. But her career also panned my entire adult life and I realize today that the battles we fought together and against – me as a citizen and she as my representative, have defined a large part of my life. A part that ended today. So, it is difficult to differentiate the personal from the political, when it comes to emotions on this day.

The Misfit

I felt for her as a ten-year-old boy watching the live telecast of MGR’s funeral, when she was man-handled out of the gun carriage carrying his body. Amidst hardened coterie men, she was an odd one out in that picture. I couldn’t help thinking that she somehow just did not fit in. If you had told me that day that the same cadre will fall on her feet willingly and worship her only a decade later, I would have been very happy with the world’s justice mechanism.

I had to take bus number ‘25 C’ to my school and every time it crossed Church Park, there will invariably be someone whispering, “that is Jayalalithaa’s school”. I was proud of her. There is no countryman outside my state who had/has a Chief Minister who topped the state in the Matriculation exams. She just seemed to never fit in! Years later, I would love to show off her interview with Simi Garewal (1999) to my friends from elsewhere. I even bought a collection of short stories by Somerset Maugham, because she mentioned it as her favourite book in that interview.

I did not root for her in the first election that ensued. It was also the first that I actively followed in my life – a time when the term “Amma” referred to someone else in TN politics. An election that fascinated me as a boy because at barber shops and family functions – my biggest source of political discourse at the time, it was pitched as the battle of the wife versus the lover. And marriages have always won in this part of the world. As she would point out in an interview many years later, almost all of the female leaders in Asia have been related by blood or marriage to a male leader. Though on this occasion, both lost.

The walking tragedy

…………………………..
…………………………..

I hated how she treated my city’s icons. She converted a Rs. 450-crore-structure meant for the legislative assembly into a hospital and was threatening to shut down my favourite city library as well. Why? Because she could. Because they were created by her rival. I hate her for making my city’s street corners into filthy wine shops.

I hated her party-men for what they did during the Chennai floods, when hundreds of relief volunteers were forced to stamp her stickers on supplies. I hate her for never speaking about it.

I am scared by the leadership void she has created in my state. I fear for the future of my city. But as I see her last procession to the burial ground, it is a strange love that rises up to my throat. Because I know that person. I know her story. We were in this together. I know her mistakes but I also know her injuries. I know what she had to endure. All I want to do is to hug that 15-year-old girl from Church Park, before she was pushed into the tumultuous world of fame that will eventually consume her and tell her that it will be all be OK. We will all be OK.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...fter-spending-life-time-disagreeing-her-54035

AIADMK split may be a possibility; if not immediate at least in the near future.

Since Dravidian politics has no clear ideology and policy, and is primarily dependent on individual popularity, AIADMK has to look out for someone who has appeal among masses, as the Opposition is very strong, since the difference is not much. Hence, The search must be commenced immediately.

After her, the deluge

By Lakshmi Subramanian

It was as if the heart of Tamil Nadu had stopped. Loud cries could be heard from every corner of the state. Frustration, anger and grief were visible on the faces of party men waiting anxiously outside the gates of the Apollo Hospitals in Chennai. The hospital was cordoned off by thousands of policemen, after it issued a statement on the evening of December 4 that Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa had suffered a cardiac arrest. Women rolled on the roads, weeping loudly. Some were praying continuously. “Oh God! Save her. We children cannot live without Amma,” said Rajarathinam, a cadre from Kanchipuram.

Next day, it was clear that the situation was getting worse. Cadres were restive. Emotions flared. As news about Jayalalithaa’s death was leaked by a television channel by 5:30pm, agitated supporters started throwing stones and water bottles. Within minutes, the hospital issued a press release terming the news “fake.” The crowd settled and an eerie silence prevailed. Around 10pm, a meeting of AIADMK legislators, which was postponed earlier, started at the party headquarters. A while later, senior ministers including O. Panneerselvam rushed from Apollo to the meeting. The meeting was over within minutes after which the MLAs set out to the Raj Bhavan, where Panneerselvam was sworn in as chief minister along with his 31 cabinet colleagues. The police, meanwhile, secured the three-kilometre route from the hospital to Jayalalithaa’s official residence at Poes Garden.
……….

………..

But there were two public incidents that had a lasting negative impact on her image. One was the Kumbakonam festival mishap in 1992. She went there for a holy dip, which triggered a stampede in which more than 50 people lost their lives. The second was the extravagant wedding ceremony of her foster son V.N. Sudhakaran, which might even had an unlikely impact on her health. The gala wedding was one of the reasons behind the disproportionate assets case, which is pending in the Supreme Court on appeal. She was sent to jail for 27 days in 2014 after she was found guilty in the case, and the jail stay apparently complicated her fragile health condition. Although she recovered to an extent and led her party to victory in the assembly elections early this year, her health was never the same after the stay in jail.

Perhaps except for this one time, she had always understood risks and tackled those well. She had always learned from her mistakes. “I lost my father at the age of 2 and my mother at the age of 22. When she died, I was alone. I did not know anything. I did not know how to operate a bank account. I did not know what income tax was. I did not know how to run the house,” she said in an interview. But later, she became an inspiration to generations of women.

With her death at a relatively young age, Tamil Nadu appears to be heading for a political vacuum. It is an uphill task for Panneerselvam to keep the party together as he prefers to keep a low profile and has never shown political acumen like her. In 2001 and in 2014, when Panneerselvam was chief minister, he was guided and controlled by Jayalalithaa. Now, he will also have to watch out for interference from Sasikala and her family members and other factions in the party and outside elements, including rival political parties. With the DMK patriarch M. Karunanidhi also ailing, a winter of discontent seems to be setting in in Tamil Nadu politics.

Source: http://www.theweek.in/theweek/cover/jayalalithaa-death.html

Auditor S.Gurumurthy's article on JJ! Well written

CzEt0WqUkAEt06c.jpg:large

S
ource: Twitter page of S.Gurumurthy

Last edited:
Auditor S.Gurumurthy's article on JJ! Well written

CzEt0WqUkAEt06c.jpg:large

S
ource: Twitter page of S.Gurumurthy

Both the major Dravidian parties in Tamil Nadu are dependent on individual popularity, as they emphasize importance on Cinema. Even in the case of DMK also, no Minister or second or third level leaders spoke against the leadership, whey they were removed from posts.

JJ did not care for her relatives in Mandya till the end! She never met them!! This was one extreme end contrasted with MK's munificence to all his blood relations!!
But JJ's relatives atleast took care of her post her death!!

[h=1]Relative 're-performs' Jaya's last rites as per Iyengar customs[/h] Srirangapatna (Mandya district), Dec 14, 2016, DHNS
586503_thump.jpg
A relative of former Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa ‘re-performed’ her last rites as per Iyengar customs, by consigning a doll made of hay (Darbhe) to flames at Paschima Vahini here on Tuesday.

Varadarajan, cousin of N J Vasudevan, half brother of Jayalalitha, performed the rites under the supervision of priest Ramanujan of Mysuru. The hay doll was made of 68 streaks of hay, representing Komalavalli (Jayalalithaa), who was 68 years old. The customs were performed amid chanting of Vedic hymns. The ashes were immersed in the Cauvery. The priests did not mention the name Jayalalithaa anywhere and used Komalavalli, her original name.
Ramanujan said Jayalalithaa’s mortal remains were buried against the Iyengar tradition. Hence, the rituals were ‘re-performed’ so that her soul can rest in peace. Varadarajan said he performed the ritual as directed by Vasudevan after taking a written permission.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/586503/relative-re-performs-jayas-last.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back