• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Ambi Mama is leading Brahmin relative- this is hilarious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paddersji

I have a Two bother in laws carrying the name of Ambi and Mani

Our son and daughter call them Ambi Mama and Mani Mama..

When i was young , i used to go to a very relative's home; For the first time when i went to their home , they called someone...... AMBIIIIII, and i thought that some young boy would come, but to my surprise a Huge looking Uncle came out !!!.

Yes, Ambi and Mani are very common in many Brahmin families and their real names are different.

other common names in Brahmin families are ' Babu' Chandru, Pichu mani, Gopu!!

Paddersji

When i was young , i used to go to a very relative's home; For the first time when i went to their home , they called someone...... AMBIIIIII, and i thought that some young boy would come, but to my surprise a Huge looking Uncle came out !!!.

Yes, Ambi and Mani are very common in many Brahmin families and their real names are different.

hi paddhu sir,

my uncle name is AMBI MAMA and my chtithi name also BABY CHITHI......my wife's mama also AMBI MAMA....i think AMBI AND

CHELLAM ARE VERY COMMON IN THIRUNELVELI/PALAKKAD BRAHMINS....EVERY HOUSE THERE IS AN AMBI MAAMA....

I know a few families where children are named 'ambi', 'chinnambi' and 'kuttiambi'!

In a family 'ambi' is younger to 'chinnambi'! :cool: When asked for an explanation,

Ram replied, 'The parents might have thought that 'chinnambi' will be the last of the siblings'!! :becky:

LOL! "Ambi" does suggest a little boy. I think the first son in the families of the past were called Ambi, but do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm surprised that Kitcha Mama didn't make it to the top. I know a whole host of Kitcha Mamas! :)

Ambi (origin from amba-Devi?) is a common name & is given to someone who is loved and respected compared to the Sama's, Visu's, Bala's and Venkuttu's..My brother-in-law is called affectionately Ambi..

Ambi is someone who can do no wrong...He is straight forward..May be he looks silly...He is not street smart...But he is trust worthy ...He will get the things done...He is a simple persona!

I know a few families where children are named 'ambi', 'chinnambi' and 'kuttiambi'!

In a family 'ambi' is younger to 'chinnambi'! :cool: When asked for an explanation,

Ram replied, 'The parents might have thought that 'chinnambi' will be the last of the siblings'!! :becky:

I know a family where they named their second Child as " Mangalam" ( probably they thought of closing ) but after that there were another 6 more came!!

In those days there was no TV, Radio, or any other entertainment except probably...

I was the 7 sibling in to our parents, behind me another 5...

My father was a Post Master, and house is attached to Post Office where ever he was transferred.. !!

Ambi is also a common word used in Tamil movies to name Brahmin characters

Here goes "Anniyan Ambi"

ambi.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! "Ambi" does suggest a little boy. I think the first son in the families of the past were called Ambi, but do correct me if I'm wrong. I'm surprised that Kitcha Mama didn't make it to the top. I know a whole host of Kitcha Mamas! :)

Kitcha mama means his name is Krishnamurthy!!

yes, this Kitcha is also very common..

Also, Alamu, Visalam.. for Girls

I know a few Krishna murthy's called as Kittus!

Have you heard about Kunju...

When I was a young boy, I was taken aback when elderly ladies were talking about Kunju...It was actually the name of my Periamma!

OMG! Kunju is found in many families! Ram had one 'Kunju periamma' who was older to 'ammALu periamma'!

My eldest B I L had 'Kunju chithi'.

BTW, Kunjuppu Sir is around here - must be his nickname during childhood! :cool:

My eldest uncle was fondly called by his grandma as 'kuttusAmi'!! :baby:

Perhaps Brahmins = Iyer, Iyengar not included, because, you will never find Ambi and very rarely find Mani (if you find one, it will be a female) in an Iyengar family. Also, Kunju is used to refer to a small boy child's kunju, begging many pardons from Kunjuppu, I am just stating how this word is used in our families ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a family where they named their second Child as " Mangalam" ( probably they thought of closing ) but after that there were another 6 more came!!

In those days there was no TV, Radio, or any other entertainment except probably...

I was the 7 sibling in to our parents, behind me another 5...

My father was a Post Master, and house is attached to Post Office where ever he was transferred.. !!

hi paddhu sir,

my grand father was SUB INSPECTOR OF POLICE during british raaj.... he was looklike IG in those days.....he retired during

british period....he was always get police quater close to his police station....In those days there was no TV, Radio, or any other

entertainment except probably...
so had 13 kids....including my father....he was eldest..................all chithappas has nick

names....FROM KITCHU....SEENU.....RAJU.....RAMU....VACCHU....ETC... i think 7 sons/and 6 daughters.....now we are

more than 45 cousins all together......its big family....ONLY ENTERTAINMENT WAS PROBABLY.....

tbs Sir

I bet you do not know the siblings's name of your cousins!!

i have not seen even many of the siblings of my cousins!!

tbs Sir

I bet you do not know the siblings's name of your cousins!!

i have not seen even many of the siblings of my cousins!!

hi paddhu sir,

not only names but also...i have not seen many of them in my life....any way im very far from all my cousins....even many cousins

meet in somebody's wedding here and there....even i have not attended many of my cousin's weddings...

Dear Prof Sir,

You seem to have missed a joke by Vivek in one of the movies, where he roams around with a gun to punish the culprits!! :)

I think M S amma had the nickname 'KunjammA'! :)

One of my classmates at school was also Kunjamma - official!

There are some interesting names as well:

Kitappa/Kicchu/Kinja for Krishnan
Baddhu for Padma
Chakku for Shakuntala
Rukku for Ruckmani

etc...

:)

More interesting nicknames in my family circle!

'pattAs mAmA' - one who brings crackers for Diwali every year!

'chocolate mAmA' - one who brings chocolates for kids each time he visits.

'kOzhi mAmA' - one who talks about 'kOzhi' all the time!

Paddersji

Dear Sri Padmanabhan,

Ambi is a common name among the south Indian Brahmins. I had an Ambi Mama, who was an interesting charancter great at mimicry. Have you heard Periya Ambi, Chinna Ambi and Kutti Ambi, for the three siblings? Now all of them are quite old. Some other common names Anthu, Balu, Ramu, Kittu, Gopi are common names among the Tambrams. I know Kannu,Sundu, Gundu, Nokki among our families.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back