• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

'Aiyoh' now in the Oxford English Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

'Aiyoh' now in the Oxford English Dictionary

54731545.jpg
A dictionary for advanced learners from the Oxford University Press, which publishes the Oxford English Dictio... Read MoreNEW DELHI: Aiyoh! What has the Oxford English Dictionarygone and done now? In its September list of new words, it included entries such as scrumdiddlyumptious (delicious) and yogasana (no explanation needed, one hopes), but also - well, 'aiyoh' and 'aiyah.'

Speakers of South Indian languages who have never uttered 'aiyoh' have probably had very uneventful lives. It's one of the most affectively versatile words in the Dravidian lexicon, capable of expressing - in Tamil alone - a suite of emotions including consternation ("Aiyoh! Why is he wearing that shirt again?"), shock ("Aiyoh! Are you sure he has passed away?") and - with a slight modification - apprehension ("Ai-yi-yoh..I'm sure my boss is going to fire me for this!").

"Aiyah" is another such interjection used by speakers of South Indian languages. The expression differs phonetically from "Ayya," which is an honorific.

The Oxford English Dictionary, or the OED, is 150 years old, has up to 600,000 entries, and its publisher - the Oxford University Press - calls it the 'definitive record of the English language.' For purists who swear by it, if a word isn't in the dictionary, it isn't English. Well, bilingual English-lovers who are also well-versed in South Indian languages no longer have to wince when they hear someone inteject, "Aiyoh!" during an exchange in the Queen's English!

Last edited:
Not just TB's...All Tamils irrespective of class, caste & religion used it...Have you not heard the old man crying on TV "Aiayyo Kolai pandranga!

Last edited:
For scrabble players, aiyoh is a nice addition - use vowels (a,i,o - 1 point each) with consonants (y,h - 4 points each)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back