• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Agraharam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bhaskararajapuram_agraharam.jpg

Many thanks Mr.Sangom.. Are there any more agraharams like this. Our agraharam where therewere 40 houses in 4 streets around our Perumal koil is now completely perished withsome 7/8 dilapilated houses standing here and there as aproof of our agraharam. I feel very sad for this state of affair to our exclusive brahmin agraharams.What is your views about this? Can we get back such agraharams to our community in the near future.

Many thanks Mr.Sangom.. Are there any more agraharams like this. Our agraharam where therewere 40 houses in 4 streets around our Perumal koil is now completely perished withsome 7/8 dilapilated houses standing here and there as aproof of our agraharam. I feel very sad for this state of affair to our exclusive brahmin agraharams.What is your views about this? Can we get back such agraharams to our community in the near future.

as long as hindus think only in terms of our castes...especially us the brahmins, i think the future does not bode good for hinduism. the rate of proselytization from christians and now from muslims, openly soliciting converts next to madurai meenakshi temple, should wake us all up to atleast forget about caste and think of us as hindus as a wholesome community. barring which, we will be in tamil nadu, in a generation or two, like kerala, a minority.

as long as hindus think only in terms of our castes...especially us the brahmins, i think the future does not bode good for hinduism. the rate of proselytization from christians and now from muslims, openly soliciting converts next to madurai meenakshi temple, should wake us all up to atleast forget about caste and think of us as hindus as a wholesome community. barring which, we will be in tamil nadu, in a generation or two, like kerala, a minority.

Kunjuppu Sir, Do the Muslims indulge in proselytization? Many textile shops, departmental stores, spice shops, and even shops selling pooja items around Madurai Meenakshi Temple has been owned by Muslims for a long time. They have always been respectful of the sentiments of Hindu devotees. Therefore, it comes as a surprise to read your post.

.......... Can we get back such agraharams to our community in the near future.
Modern agrahArams are coming up!

''SHANKARA AGRAHARAM, the Vedic village promoted by Santhana Dharama Parirakshana Trust, a non-profit organization, aims to bring in a

highly sophisticated way of living as per the preaching of His Holiness AdiSankara in a fully integrated Eco-friendly township.
The village will

have Veda Patashala,Yagnashala, and Goshala, keeping the community in tandem with traditional Vedic principles. To accommodate elderly

citizens, the village community will have a Geriatric Health City and an integrated Old age home with assisted living. The Health City will be the

most modern health centre with over 500 beds and will be supported by European Health Cluster. The Vedic Village currently having over 1000

registered members who are highly qualified professionals from various walks of life.
This community will herald a new era in bringing respect

for the elderly. The village communitywill become a model for Elderly care in India. Established at Hampasandra Village, Gudibande taluk,

chikkaballapur, Karnataka, India, this is an exclusive township in the country that does not have any direct or indirect relationship with any

religious institutes or any other agencies in the country. The basic aim is to cater to the needs of its member. This community will be an all-

inclusive place with the most comprehensive facilities that will be a benchmark in elderly service and care as well as community living. It will be

a dream home for all its members.''

Please go through this link to read more: About Agraharam

Here is one more in Hyderabad.

''Vedagayatri Agraharam is located in our Country's second capital Hyderabad. This is very near to Hi-tech city, beside Shamshabad

International Airport and very near to Timmapur Railway Terminal. Our Vedagayatri Agraharam is in between TATA University,

Symbioses and the largest textile park in India.''

Read more here: Raghavendra Vedagayatri Agraharam in Shamshabad

hi

just info....kalpathy agraharam in palakkad, kerala....still intact...thanks world heritage support....rigid rules are there...

nobody can sell their houses....no alteration/modification allowed....no concrete building allowed...ONLY TILES ARE

ALLOWED FOR ROOF....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjTUMGZT7yk....sorry for malayalam description/explanation...

Last edited:
hi

just info....kalpathy agraharam in palakkad, kerala....still intact...thanks world heritage support....rigid rules are there...

nobody can sell their houses....no alteration/modification allowed....no concrete building allowed...ONLY TILES ARE

ALLOWED FOR ROOF....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjTUMGZT7yk....sorry for malayalam description/explanation...

not true dear sir. our family old home has been demolished and converted into a two storey apartment, all right in the heart of kalpathi. admittedly so, the old household build of limestone was literally coming apart, there was no regulation to construct to whatever the family wanted. ..

times they are changing. and changing faster than light. reminiscing is a great timepass, but reality is otherwise. i think so.

கால பைரவன்;274110 said:
Kunjuppu Sir, Do the Muslims indulge in proselytization? Many textile shops, departmental stores, spice shops, and even shops selling pooja items around Madurai Meenakshi Temple has been owned by Muslims for a long time. They have always been respectful of the sentiments of Hindu devotees. Therefore, it comes as a surprise to read your post.

business is business dear KB. they have their own version of parihaaram for doing business/profiting from 'infidels' :)

not true dear sir. our family old home has been demolished and converted into a two storey apartment, all right in the heart of kalpathi. admittedly so, the old household build of limestone was literally coming apart, there was no regulation to construct to whatever the family wanted. ..

times they are changing. and changing faster than light. reminiscing is a great timepass, but reality is otherwise. i think so.

There was a recent newspaper report that there is Huge corruption/bribes in allowing even very minor repairs to the Kalpathi Agraharam that most houses would fall to the ground in a few years and that already the houses have become unsafe for dwelling. Only, now the Modi magic has to work, in order to remove this huge corruption/bribes.

Shri Narasimhan Sir,

I feel most tabras have gone far removed from the agraharam way of life; today if any marriageable tabra boy lives in an agraharam, his chances of getting a bride will get reduced to nil! The modern agraharams to which Smt. RR has drawn attention cannot be "only brahmins" and even the brahmins of all types will have to be allowed. Thus these new colonies are resorting to a sales strategy, that's all I think, and these will not be like those old agraharams. We can have the nostalgia with these lines from a famous Malayalam poet,

வெறுதே ஈ மோஹங்ஙள் என்னு அறியும்போழும்
வெறுதே மோஹிக்குவான்‍ மோஹம்

(veṟute ī mohaṅṅaḷ eṉṉu aṟiyumpoḻum
veṟute mohikkuvāṉ- moham)

Even when (I) know that all these longings are in vain, I desire to have these longings!

It is welcome to have brahmin oriented housing societies and agraharam type colonies for the faithful and the devout. In modern terminology, one lives among like minded people and all services available as and when and where required. It will be idiotic to compare a vaidika and brahmin colony to a ghetto.

Brahmins are not disrespected in tamilnadu today, traditionally attired do command respect in general. Wearing namam or vibhuti or panchalachcham is not seen as an aberration. Two days ago, in the Singaperumal koil near vandaloor, a big crowd was waiting for the gates to open at 4:30 in the evening. Traditionally dressed big group of brahmins patiently waited in the queue with others and no eye brows were raised.

They who disapprove of agraharam type housing societies are free to give them a wide berth; why object to grouping of like minded people.

hi

One popular Carnatic Musician told me that Kalpathy Agraharam comprises mostly of Vadama only. Is it true? Is Vaidyanathapuram village part of Kalpathy Agraharam? Justice V R Krishna Iyer belonged to this village.

One popular Carnatic Musician told me that Kalpathy Agraharam comprises mostly of Vadama only. Is it true? Is Vaidyanathapuram village part of Kalpathy Agraharam? Justice V R Krishna Iyer belonged to this village.

hi

mostly palakkad agraharams are vadamas....some exceptions too...like chembai agraharam chozhiyas....some are brehaxharams too...

very segregated in ealier years....now stories are different....mainly many agraharams are THAYADHIS.....with gopi chandanam....

the famous chembai vaidyanatha bhagavathar was chozhiya...

Here is one more in Hyderabad.

''Vedagayatri Agraharam is located in our Country's second capital Hyderabad. This is very near to Hi-tech city, beside Shamshabad

International Airport and very near to Timmapur Railway Terminal. Our Vedagayatri Agraharam is in between TATA University,

Symbioses and the largest textile park in India.''

Read more here: Raghavendra Vedagayatri Agraharam in Shamshabad

Without offence to anyone, I would like to know if this agraharm caters only to brahmins, since it is named as VEDAGAYATRI agraharam.

Last edited:
Without offence to anyone, I would like to know if this agraharm caters only to brahmins, since it is named as VEDAGAYATRI agraharam.

Sir,

I can't say about this agraharam in Hyderabad, but the one coming up in Karnataka, far away from Bengaluru, is Shringeri Matam's enterprise. I came to know that they will sell the plots/finished houses, as far as is possible, to brahmins only, whether smartha, vaishnava, madhva, nambudiri, embrandiri, potti, or north indian, telugu etc. The catch-word is "as far as possible" because constitutionally one cannot float a brahmins only colony. At present this colony is far away from any shopping facility; even for a match box one has to travel about half an hour by bus, I was told, by one person who has lived for 40years in Bengaluru.

A senior senior resort in Coimbatore - I don't want to mention the name - admits only brahmins. Four friends, of whom one was

a nonbram, could NOT have lunch together in the mess there, because nonbrams are NOT allowed inside the dining hall! :sad:

A senior senior resort in Coimbatore - I don't want to mention the name - admits only brahmins. Four friends, of whom one was

a nonbram, could NOT have lunch together in the mess there, because nonbrams are NOT allowed inside the dining hall! :sad:

That looks a little extreme! This is perhaps how brahmins very easily become hated. Suppose the nonbram files a complaint?

That looks a little extreme! This is perhaps how brahmins very easily become hated. Suppose the nonbram files a complaint?

The senior citizen from the community living there should have known the rules and should have avoided the embarrassment.

There are jains only, muslims only and christian only colonies. Supreme court has ruled in jains' favour that they can have an exclusive facility. There are a few housing societies which do not permit renting to foreigners. Constitution is ambivalent in the sense minority communities have the rights to take steps to protect their culture. Constitution is bound to protect all communities. In mumbai jains forced a restaurant in their building to become vegetarian. I have seen advts for a brahmins only apartment complex with a well for religious purposes.

We had a n excellent system with small clusters of communities who can follow their rituals without encroaching on others. Say, 200 families living in a exclusive housing society will cause damage to others.

Sir,

I can't say about this agraharam in Hyderabad, but the one coming up in Karnataka, far away from Bengaluru, is Shringeri Matam's enterprise. I came to know that they will sell the plots/finished houses, as far as is possible, to brahmins only, whether smartha, vaishnava, madhva, nambudiri, embrandiri, potti, or north indian, telugu etc. The catch-word is "as far as possible" because constitutionally one cannot float a brahmins only colony. At present this colony is far away from any shopping facility; even for a match box one has to travel about half an hour by bus, I was told, by one person who has lived for 40years in Bengaluru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back