• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

After studying 500 millionaires, a journalist noticed one characteristic they all had

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

The most successful people know how to make decisions.

After studying over 500 millionaires, including Andrew Carnegie, Henry Ford, and Charles Schwab, journalist and author Napoleon Hill found that they shared a single quality: decisiveness. "Analysis of several hundred people who had accumulated fortunes well beyond the million dollar mark disclosed the fact that every one of them had the habit of reaching decisions promptly," Hill wrote in his 1937 classic, "Think and Grow Rich."
In addition to making decisions quickly and confidently, they also change decisions, if and when needed to, slowly, Hill noted. On the flip side, "People who fail to accumulate money, without exception, have the habit of reaching decisions, if at all, very slowly, and of changing these decisions quickly and often."
Decisiveness plays such an important role in accumulating wealth that mastery of procrastination — which Hill defined as the opposite of decisiveness — is the seventh of his 13 steps toward getting rich.
To become a better decision-maker, start by focusing on your listening skills, Hill explained:
Keep your eyes and ears wide open — and your mouth closed — if you wish to acquire the habit of prompt decisions. Those who talk too much do little else. If you talk more than you listen, you not only deprive yourself of many opportunities to accumulate useful knowledge, but you also disclose your plans and purposes to people who will take great delight in defeating you, because they envy you.
Your actions count more than your words. "Tell the world what you intend to do, but first show it," Hill wrote.
If you do master this quality, it can reap incredible rewards, Hill observed: "Those who reach decisions promptly and definitely know what they want, and generally get it ... The world has the habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show that he knows where he is going."
Since Hill's time, others have pinpointed qualities and habits shared among people who make millions, such as rising early, exercising regularly, making the time to read, and associating with others who are successful.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/studying-500-millionaires-journalist-noticed-183000062.html

There is something to be said in favour of do not act ,do nothing philosophy..

Those who do not act and wait for others to play their cards before acting themselves get the benefit of others experience.

those who act first get the first mover advantage sometimes though.

I have a basic belief. Some have a inbuilt make up to lose everytime and others always lucky.

which category one belongs one finds out very late in life .

Then it ceases to matter either way.

by the way why do you want to be a millionaire?

just an idle curiousity this.

I feel that a person who lives without tension is luckier than a billionaire with all the tensions attached to it.

Napoleon Hill is an inspirational writer & thinker...Some of his famous quotes are:

1. “Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.”

2. “You are the master of your destiny. You can influence, direct and control your own environment. You can make your life what you want it to be.”

3. “The starting point of all achievement is DESIRE. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat.”

I feel that a person who lives without tension is luckier than a billionaire with all the tensions attached to it.

The only thing I admire about honest billionaires are the fact they provide employment opportunities for others.

That in my opinion takes a lot of dedication,hard work, a drive for success and the mental endurance to maintain what they have achieved.

But personally I wont want to be a billionaire or a pauper....not everyone can stand the stress of having too much money or too little money.

Last edited:
It is amazing to note some Industrialists have the determination to stay in the competition, despite ups and downs. TATAs are perfect examples. No one has failed. These people, I believe, never bother about their wealth.Their mantra is only to achieve.

Incidentally, some Iyers Groups have either vanished or changed hands - Standard Motors, Enfield etc.

These days I am reading about losers in business.

One of the earliest entrants in ecommerce in india started more than 15years back went recently bust.

Its CEO was recounting his experiences.

In trying to grow his company fast and increasing his gross merchandising value [equivalent of turnover in ordinary business] ,he had sacrificed profits.

The agencies funding him deserted him.He had to close his shop left with huge losses. If his entity had remained small with marginal profits nothing would have

happened to him. Most people fail when they try to scale up their business .Ambition to become something big is the cause for many failures.

Yesterday , one young CEO of a housing portal in india aged 26 was fired from his job. He was considered a whiz kid. The venture capitalists who funded him pulled

the

rug under his feet.He is an IIT bombay graduate.He had created a portal so different from his competitors. His tall claims and his indiscriminate spending[ of money of

funding companies] to build a dream housing portal of international standards cost him his exit from his company besides his irresponsible utterances hurting the

directors of the company challenging them. He even said money was not important to him but building this company was. He tried giving away Rs 200 cr worth shares

he owned

to employees of his company. There are strange people fired with ambition and wanting to make it big but failing due to mistakes

Last edited:
The only thing I admire about honest billionaires are the fact they provide employment opportunities for others.

That in my opinion takes a lot of dedication,hard work, a drive for success and the mental endurance to maintain what they have achieved.

But personally I wont want to be a billionaire or a pauper....not everyone can stand the stress of having too much money or too little money.
It is wise to remain an average person identifying with a large section of similar people. One can really be risk free and live a contented life.

Money is not everything in life. Great philosophy . Make enough for a comfortable life and refuse to become stinkingly rich sacrificing peace of mind.

People would call you an under achiever but do not be tempted to over reach.

This has been my philosophy too as far as career is concerned.

But I have this crazy streak to speculate like hell taking risks which has given me windfall gains . This I blow up since it is not earned money through shedding any

sweat . but one loses respect for money made this way.lol

It is wise to remain an average person identifying with a large section of similar people. One can really be risk free and live a contented life.

Even though I would not really consider myself an "average" person in certain aspects but I like a moderate,risk free contented healthy life with focus on balance and index of happiness more than just a huge bank balance.

Even though I would not really consider myself an "average" person in certain aspects but I like a moderate,risk free contented healthy life with focus on balance and index of happiness more than just a huge bank balance.
Oops ,sorry I meant moderate not average . English is a foreign language. lol

Our dharma spells it out clearly. Make artha by dharmic means, and spend it in dharmic pursuits after keeping a sufficient portion for self.

Krish 44 says it ALL. Whatever opinion given suits all those , who live a comfortable life & not to entertain high ambitions , lest one may loose peace of mind & start worrying , though had earned enough to sustain for the rest of life.
Money is saved , mainly to have your desires fulfilled. Beyond a certain age & beyond earning/ saving the required money for rest of your life, , more so when Age may not be on your side, one should start planning such Plans which would give real pleasure , take your close relatives & Friends into your plans to quench your thirst for things you may not have done till now ?
Lots of Opportunities to ENJOy life, commensurate with your affordable desires to have real Fun/ enjoyment, to your mind / soul
A.Srinivasan

Krish 44 says it ALL. Whatever opinion given suits all those , who live a comfortable life & not to entertain high ambitions , lest one may loose peace of mind & start worrying , though had earned enough to sustain for the rest of life.
Money is saved , mainly to have your desires fulfilled. Beyond a certain age & beyond earning/ saving the required money for rest of your life, , more so when Age may not be on your side, one should start planning such Plans which would give real pleasure , take your close relatives & Friends into your plans to quench your thirst for things you may not have done till now ?
Lots of Opportunities to ENJOy life, commensurate with your affordable desires to have real Fun/ enjoyment, to your mind / soul
A.Srinivasan
Rishikesanji
Where have you been?
I have been missing your wise posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back