• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

After 20 yrs and pocket internet, cyber cafes consigned to oblivion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GANESH65

Has the mobile revolution and pocket internet has changed the world for internet access. A report appeared on Hindustan times suggests that.....

NEW DELHI: Aamir Khurso sits at the front desk of his cyber café, watching the rain. On the wall behind him is a black and white printout asking customers to present their ID cards. There aren’t too many customers, just a few youngsters peering into bulky, old CRT monitors inside small white cubicles. A musty smell pervades the place. “Few people come here. I wonder if it’s time to shut down this place,” says the 37-year-old owner of Firefox Internet Cafe in east Delhi. “A decade ago, there used to be a waiting period to use the internet.” Cyber cafes symbolised India’s nascent internet revolution and introduced a generation to the World Wide Web. The first one, named simply CyberCafe, opened at Mumbai’s Leela hotel in 1996, a year after VSNL brought the internet to India. Soon after, Delhi got its first, Cyber Club, at the ITC Maurya hotel. Both no longer exist. By 2005, India had 200,000 Net cafes. That number is now down to 72,000, according to the Cyber Café Association of India. This year marks 20 years of the advent of the cyber café in India, and their numbers are fast dwindling — the Capital has 2,500 of them from 8,000 in 2008 Going back to the summer of 2000 when he started out, Khurso says, “I was 22 and wanted to do something different. It was fashionable then to open cyber cafes. They were the start-ups of those days. We were the first to spread digital literacy, but now we are out of work.” With growing internet access at home and work, cyber café owners like Khurso now offer online utility services — air and rail ticketing, money transfer, online applications, scanning and printouts — to earn a living. “In the early days, 200 people visited my cafe every day and the wait for a slot could stretch to two hours. We began to lose business sharply around 2011, when the smartphone became popular,” says Naresh Kumar, 38, who runs the café True Education in Janakpuri. According to a Tata Consultancy Services study, 5% internet users in India visited cyber cafes in 2013 against 46% in 2009. During this period, internet use at home rose from 58% to 78%. Mobile Internet userbase went up from 238 million in June 2014 to 306 million in December 2015, says a report of the Internet and Mobile Association of IndiaIMRB International. Most cyber café owners started out in their early 20s and say it is tough making new plans in their late thirties .“The income is me ag re. I charge ` 11 an hour but there are still few takers,” says Khurso. That’s a far cry from the days when Calculus in Connaught Place charged ` 150 an hour while the hourly rate at cafes in five-star hotels was ` 800. Cities like Bangalore had fancy cyber cafes with liveried waiters. For many, the demise of the internet café means the end of landmarks of their youth. “Our customers came for Yahoo chats, Hotmail and Orkut. For my generation, Yahoo was a tech giant. (Hotmail founder) Sabeer Bhatia, and not (Facebook’s) Mark Zuckerberg, was our hero,” says Khurso. Aman Sharma, 40, of Paschim Vihar says it was “cool” visiting cyber cafes. “We not only learnt to use the internet but cyber cafes were asocial space where we made friends. I met my girlfriend at one .” So, is it the end of the cyber café in India? Amrita Choudhury, president of the Cyber Café Association of India, believes they can stay relevant, giving the example of the Common Service Center — internet access points delivering government-to-consumer services under the Digital India programme. “Internet penetration is still very low in India and there are many who cannot afford a computer or smartphone. Cyber cafes can bridge that digital divide, which is creating an economic divide.”

Mobile phones/smart phones as claimed quite a number of causalities

Here is the list of some of them

1. First and foremost, the letters the main means of communications of yesteryear's
2 Telegram once only hope of speedy communication for common man
3 Public telephone booths, STD.ISD booths
4. Internet cafes (of course!)
5. Camera ( since most phone come with reasonably good cameras)
6. wrist watch /alarm clock (even other wise also people damn care about time now a days)
7. habit of diary writing - most of organizing work could be taken care by a smart phone
8. Music system - Most phones are equipped...
9. VCR/Video games - same as above
The most short lived invention was Pager the once proud text messaging device which remained in vague for a very short period.

Do you know most who have PCs or mob do not have access to printers ?

In all metros they still go to cybercafe nearby for a print out of travel tickets, hotel bookings or anything involving bulk printing.

Those who are not highly cyber savvy ,{ iam one] I go to cyber cafe to get int done.

I wanted to sell furniture on OLX.

Photos had to be transported from mobile and I did not have the appropriate connector for USB.

I had to use use a cybercafe resources including the operator there.

Still there is hope of cyber cafe . They will reinvent themselves.

Dozens of students go there for down loading admission and online admission work.

Some go there to play games and freely surf which sometimes not possible home.

May be you are right Krish Sir. But printers now a days have become very cheap. So if you have a PC at home, get a printer as well. Moreover, you may not be able to access internet cafe for print at your convenient time. For eg. if you want to get a print of your ticket at say 4.30 in the morning and your friendly neighborhood internet cafe is not open what will you do? Well if you want upload images on applications like OLX please get their mobile app installed in your smart phone rather than accessing them through your desk top or lap top......

Ganesh sir
I have two printers.

Yet They have a way of running out of fluid for printing at inappropriate times.

My mob is overloaded with apps consuming RAM using up resources.

Yet I am not mob savvy I should be expected to be.

I still use landlines of MTNL duplicated with std and isdn for reliable talk when I could whats up or skype.

Communication is key to living.

But it is making me bone lazy and making me lose contact with outside world.

But virtual world has its attractions

I am waiting for pokomon go.

hi

i still prefer local cyber cafe in chennai....when ever i visit chennai...its very convenient/customer friendly...

Ganesh sir
I have two printers.

Yet They have a way of running out of fluid for printing at inappropriate times.

My mob is overloaded with apps consuming RAM using up resources.

Yet I am not mob savvy I should be expected to be.

I still use landlines of MTNL duplicated with std and isdn for reliable talk when I could whats up or skype.

Communication is key to living.

But it is making me bone lazy and making me lose contact with outside world.

But virtual world has its attractions

I am waiting for pokomon go.

sorry to say Sir, but don't you think you need a lesson or two in resource management.....LOL:lol::lol::lol:

Ganesh sir

Let me give you my philosophy.

In this big world specially india everyone can be a resource.

The resources you are talking about are low level resources to approach other human resources for my purposes.

Starting with the fat lady upstairs who has become the caretaker of my home since she snoops on me, by looking into my place-so I gave her my house key and made

her my resource to guard my home, I have people working for me in share market. The 25 year old girl who is a smart wizard operating the terminal advises me and

manages my account for free.I have

property consultants who manage my properties and get me the best deals for a song.

I have tax consultants who for a minor amount see to it that my taxes or in order.It is his headache to file and get me refunds.

I have cook and maids who keep the home fires burning and see it is clean and clothes are washed and ironed.

I have a driver who doubles for me in banks and other places where there is a queue.

Since my risk taking capability is high and I trust everyone like hell, I do far better than most.

Cyber cafes are safe to operate when no criminal activities are there. As PM rightly said cyber crimes are on the increase.It is better not to have cyber cafes since it leads to harboring more criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back