• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A poem a day to keep all agonies away!

எந்த எண்ணம் தோன்றும் போதும்
சந்த வடிவில் எழுதிப் பார்த்தால்
அந்த நிமிடம் கவிதைப் பிறந்துவிடும் !!!
அவ்வளவு சுலபமா??

You can edit your settings as given here https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_other_settings (in case you did not know) - No one puts anything in your inbox (upto individuals to personalize the settings). Let us not blame others for our mistakes/shortcomings and maintain a decorum in this august forum.
You could have stopped with pointing out how to edit my settings to block any unwanted messages in my E'mail inbox -- not just my 'Inbox for messages' on this forum, which made me complain of invasion of privacy. I would have been thankful to you for that information. However, to go further than that and say: "Let us not blame others for our mistakes/shortcomings and maintain a decorum in this august forum".
Well,that shows a certain arrogance on your part as though you are the arbiter of what is in line with decorum and what is not on this august forum! Mind that you do not trample on the reputation of others to give them a negative score to defend ramblers like the person I mentioned.

UNmai chudum! :flame:

Truth is bitter!!! :yuck:

If anyone had any doubts about anything or anybody

or wished for an example of unmitigated arrogance

I am sure they have all been removed by the above post!

For talking about Privacy and Legacy and Decorum of a Forum,

one must first of all know what they actually mean!

This has been an august forum and will remain one so long as people

do not try to reduce it to become a mere
September/ October/ November/ December Forum! :moony:

எந்த எண்ணம் தோன்றும் போதும்
சந்த வடிவில் எழுதிப் பார்த்தால்
அந்த நிமிடம் கவிதைப் பிறந்துவிடும் !!!
அவ்வளவு சுலபமா??
Is this a Question?
Or is it a statement?

Strangely today's poem has suddenly gained topical importance! Enjoy!

#057. அறிவும், அன்பும்

ஏட்டுச் சுரைக்காய் கறிக்கு உதவாது,
ஏற்படும் அனுபவமே உண்மை அறிவு.
சொல்லுதல் எளிது, செய்வது கடினம்,
சொல்லுவது அறிவு, செயல் புரிவது அன்பு.

நிரம்பக் கற்றவர்கள் மனதில், கற்றதின்
கர்வம் உண்டாகும், கண்கண்ட உண்மை;
நிரம்பத் தொண்டு செய்பவர் மனதிலோ,
கனிவு, பணிவு, இனிமை வளர்ந்து மலரும்.

தர்க்கம், வாதம், போட்டி, பேட்டி என,
தேடிச் செல்லுவர் நன்கு படித்தவர்,
தொண்டு, உதவிகள், சேவை என்று
நாடிச் செல்லுவர் உண்மைத் தொண்டர்.

ஆத்ம அனுபவத்துக்கு நல்ல வழிகளை
அறிந்திருந்தாலும், முயலார் கற்றவர் .
அனுபவத்திலேயே வழி கண்டு கொள்ளுவர்
ஆன்ம ஞானத்துக்கு, உண்மைத் தொண்டர்.

காரண காரியங்களை எல்லாம் ஆராய்ந்து
காண விழைவர் நன்கு படித்த அறிஞர்.
சாதனையிலேயே தன் மனத்தை முழுதும்
செலுத்துவர் இறையின் உண்மைத் தொண்டர்.

உய
ர்ந்த அறிவு நிரம்ப உண்டு அவரிடம்.
உண்மைத் தொண்டு நிரம்ப உண்டு இவரிடம்.
அறிவே பெரும் சுமையாகிவிடும் அவருக்கு,
அன்பே உலகை இன்பமாக்கும் இவருக்கு.

சாஸ்திரங்கள் பல கற்றாலும், சாதனைகள் பல
செய்தாலும், திருப்தி இல்லாதவர் அவர்.
விவேக, வைராக்யங்களால் மனஅமைதி,
வியத்தகு வண்ணம் கொண்டவர் இவர்.

அறிவும் அன்பும் இரண்டுமே அவசியம்,
அவனியில் நாம் பயன் தர வாழ்ந்திடவே;
அறிவு என்பது ஒளிரும் சூரியன் என்றால்,
அன்பு என்பது குளிர்ந்த வெண்ணிலவாகும்.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி

#057. INTELLECT VS HUMANISM.

Dry intellect does good to no one! The knowledge obtained from the various experiences is the real useful intelligence. It is very easy to preach but it is very difficult to practice our preachings.

A very highly educated person becomes very proud, due to his academic achievements. But a humanitarian becomes humbler and kinder as the days roll by.

The intellectual goes out of his way to prove his worth by taking part in debates, discussions, interviews and competitions. The humanitarian goes out of his way to find fresh opportunities to serve the others.

An intellectual finds it hard to discover the secrets leading to self realization. But the humanitarian is slowly and steadily led to Atma Anubhavam by his selfless service. The intellectual wants to prove everything using the theories he knows. The humanitarian gains the same knowledge more easily by his experiences.

Knowledge becomes a burden to the intellectual. Life is a happy song for the humanitarian. The intellectual yearns for awards, rewards and recognitions. The humanitarian develops Vivekam and Vairaagyam through his selfless service.

Intellect can be compared to the bright and hot Sun while the humanism can be compared to the cool and pleasing moon. We need both the Sun and the moon.

If the intellect and humanism are combined in one person, what more can we ask for?

I find that the 'Tamil Brahmin' forum itself has posted the above comment in full on my E'mail Inbox! Why should I know about it at all? You can invite me to see the thread thereof by giving a link address to which I may choose to go or not do so because I do not want to prove who is trying to denigrate and have their way still to make it known that the person conerned is a 'creative fountainhead of wisdom' in every word that has been uttered in this 'august forum' while others are there just for a few months only before they get tired of it all!

Quote:"If the intellect and humanism are combined in one person, what more can we ask for?" This is the only message worth noting in the above verse! The rest is just an attempt at polarization of the 'intellectual' and the 'humanitarian' person! Such ascription of the qualities of an intellectual and the humanitarian is rather artificail and, therefore, not convincing at all! Why would an intellectual, for instance, 'be vain and proud', 'be in the pursuit of debates and discussions', 'be yearning for awards, rewards and recognition' and 'be unable to discover Self-realization', in spite of all his 'intellectual achievement'? Because it is difficult for the intellectual to practise what he preaches? Is that not an 'assumption' or a 'presumption' or a 'conjecture' or a 'surmise'? And why should the humanitarian, for instance,'be humble and kind', 'always seek an opportunity to serve others', 'be able to develop vivekam and vairagyam' and 'be able to achieve atma anubhavam through his selfless service' in spite of lacking the knowledge about such a conception as an 'Atma' or 'Self' residing within the ordinary self? Because he gains that knowledge through his own experience of serving others selflessly? Obviously, these are 'stereotype conceptions' of 'who is an intellectual' and 'who is a humanitarian'. In reality, nothing comes in an 'white' and 'black' manner alone! There are various 'shades of grey' in-between them. Just like 'normal' health -- physically, mentally and emotionally -- and 'handicaps or disabilities' in all those areas in one form or another or in varying degrees! It is the way that our modern-day society is organized and functions that at times and in some places that one becomes a 'one-dimensional person' rather than 'multi-dimensional person' encompassing the diverse powers of the 'intellectual', 'volitional' and 'emotional' qualities of human beings in varying degrees! The fallacy in the above verse thus lies in attempting to draw a dichotomy that is not normally found in persons in various walks of life and fields of experience! The conclusion comes close to truth, but the metaphors used are incorrect!

397.jpg?w=150&h=150

397 (a). சூரியனைப் பார்த்து நாய் குரைத்தால்
சூரியனுக்குக் கேடா நாய்க்குக் கேடா?

397 (b). The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

A proverb is defined by the wise people as a

'A short statement born out of long experience'.

For reading more words of wisdom please visit

https://veenaaramani.wordpress.com/east-meets-west/quotes-391-to-400/

The one which I like best out of the collection of 2008 proverbs is this:

pv1191.jpg?w=150&h=112

1191a. காத வழிப் பேர் இல்லான் கழுதை.

1191b. He who is not known in ten mile radius is none.

https://veenaaramani.wordpress.com/east-meets-west/quotes-1191-to-1200/

Last edited:
சிந்தனை தந்த இந்திர ஜாலம்

#058. சுயேச்சையா?

“நாம் நினைப்பது ஒன்று;
நமக்கு நடப்பது ஒன்று!

நம்மை ஆட்டிப்படைப்பது
நம்முடைய சுயேச்சையா?

இருக்குமிடம் தெரியாத
இறைவனின் இச்சையா?

குருநாதரிடம் கேட்போம்;
கூடிச் செல்வோம் வாரீர்!”

“முளையில் கட்டப்பட்டு
மேய்கின்ற ஒரு பசுவுக்கு,

சுயேச்சை எத்தனையோ,
சுயேச்சை அத்தனையே

இறைவன் தந்துள்ளான்,
இங்கே ஒவ்வொருவருக்கும்.

கட்டும் கயிற்றின் நீளமே
காணும் பசுவின் சுயேச்சை!

முளை அடித்த இடமோ,
முதல்வனின் இச்சையே!

இச்சையும், சுயேச்சையும்
இணைந்துள்ளதை அறிவீர்!”

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#058. Dependent or independent?

This short poem discusses whether man is dependent on God or is completely independent.

At times we feel that we have a number of choices and assume that we have plenty of independence. At other times we feel we are forced to go the way some invisible force is pushing us to go.

Let us go to our guru and get this doubt cleared.

The Guru says,” We have as much as independence as a cow tied to a post. The length of the rope is the amount of independence we are given by God. But the location of the post is God’s choice.

So we depend on God as to where we will be born and we will live but in that chosen place we have a limited independence to do or not to do certain things.”

Is this a Question?
Or is it a statement?
madam a question is it that easy. no madam no
you have a gift for the words come to your mind
for you may be easy like raji madam, the vara kavis
for us a big NO. however I try hard its not possible
they say if you read amara kosam in sanskrit the thesauras
which gives so many names, nama, linga, etc
for me its not that easy
see, crazy mohan can write venba on any subject.
anyway i am happy with reading and appreciate the flow

madam a question is it that easy. no madam no
you have a gift for the words come to your mind
for you may be easy like raji madam, the vara kavis
for us a big NO. however I try hard its not possible
they say if you read amara kosam in sanskrit the thesauras
which gives so many names, nama, linga, etc
for me its not that easy
see, crazy mohan can write venba on any subject.
anyway i am happy with reading and appreciate the flow
Dear Sir,

Thank you for the compliment. Once when I was the Second year Degree students ( in 1965 ) we were all commissioned to write Tamil poems.

I argued with my Tamil lecturer saying that Poetry was not everybody's cup of tea. She told us to try it out all the same. I wrote a Poem on "Azhagu". It came out alright to my surprise.

Any Poetry needs these three things namely A theme, Any intense feeling and A large vocabulary in the chosen language.

When we express the theme (thought 0 WITH a strong feeling USING rhyming words it becomes a poetry. If any one of these three elements is lacking, we feel that it is just a collection of either empty words or words which do not move your soul or even interest you.

May be there is some truth in the saying that
"A Poet is born but an Orator is made"

(How else can we have the scores of election time speakers who manage to break the mics along with our eardrums and their vocal cords?)

Talking about orators, everyone of us is a great orator when we are comfortably seated. In fact it is difficult to stop some people from talking.

Make that person on his (hind) legs. He becomes knock kneed and tongue tied and ends up sweating profusely and even wetting his pants!

So the real secret of public speaking is

THE ABILITY TO TALK WHILE STANDING AND DARING
THE STARING OF HUNDREDS OF HUNGRY EYES.

The greatest shock and irony I find today after an enforced vacation for exactly seven days is ...
I have become a new member all over once again.
I used to be a veteran last week.
How I wish I could reverse may age and come 17 instead of 71!

Today I will post something novel.
It will work out best when posted in Hindi.
I will use English alphabets though-to enable everyone to read it.

anu:
"dhuniya badhal gayA! zamAnA badal gayA"

reNu:

"kaisE bhadal gayA? kyOm isE bol rahE hO?"

anu:
" aajkal bahoo apne marjee sE maike chalE jaathee hai.
maan nE sE phir kabhi waapas aa jAyEgi!
naheem maan nE sE hamEsha kEliyE chalE jAyEgi!

reNu:

"thO uski pathi ki sEvaa kOn kar rahaa hai?"

anu:

"uski pathi ki sEva uski saas karEgi.
saas ki pathi ki sEvaa saas ki dhidhi karEgi.
bhuddi dhidhi ki sevA kOn karEga?
mai naheen jaanoo! shayadh bhagavAn jAnE!"

It is true that most women USE their men and the other women for their selfish motives! :(

#059. நேர்மையும், வாய்மையும்
நேர்மை என்பது நம் மனம், மொழி,
செயல்களை ஒருமைப்படுத்துவதே.
நேரில் ஒன்றும், மறைவில் ஒன்றும்,
செய்யாதிருப்பதே நேர்மை ஆகும்.

பேச வேண்டும், நாம் எண்ணியதையே;
பேச்சும், எண்ணமும் வேறுபடக் கூடாது!
பேசியதையே நாம் செய்ய வேண்டும்;
பேச்சும், செயலும் மாறுபடக் கூடாது!

ஒன்றை நினைத்து, மற்றதைப் பேசினால்;
அழிந்து போகும் நம் வாக்கின் நேர்மை!
ஒன்றைப் பேசி, மற்றதைச் செய்தால்;
அழிந்து போகும் நம் உடலின் நேர்மை!

தன் நெஞ்சு அறிந்து பொய் சொன்னால்,
தன் நெஞ்சே தன்னைச் சுடும் என்றாலும்;
பொய்மையும் உயிர்களுக்கு நன்மை செய்தால்,
வாய்மையே ஆகும், இது வள்ளுவன் வாக்கு!

வாய்மை என்பது எந்த உயிர்களுக்கும்,
தீமை பயக்காததைச் சொல்வதே ஆம்.
வாய்மையை விடவும் சிறந்தது ஒன்று
வலை விரித்துத் தேடினாலும் கிட்டாது.

மனம், மொழி, செயல்கள் மாறுபடும்போது,
மனோ வியாதிகள் உற்பத்தி ஆகின்றன.
ஒருமைப்பாட்டையும், வாய்மையையும்
ஒருங்கிணைத்து நாம் வாழ்ந்திடுவோம்.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#059. STRAIGHT-FORWARDNESS AND TRUTHFULNESS.

Straight-forwardness implies the harmony of our thoughts, words and actions. Our actions and words in front of a person and behind his back should not differ in any way.

We must speak our genuine thoughts and we must act according to our genuine words. The thoughts and words must not contradict so also our words and actions must not disagree.

If we think and speak differently our words get defiled. If we talk and act differently, our actions get defiled.

One should always be true to himself. If it is certain that a truth revealed is sure to hurt someone, then we are allowed to speak a harmless ‘white-lie’ to defuse the situation.

When a person’s thoughts, words and actions differ he will tend to become a split personality – truthful neither to himself nor to the others around him.

#060. நாரதரின் நரகம்

நாரதர் ஒரு நாள் தன் துடுக்குத்தனத்தால்
நாராயணனையும் கோபமூட்டிவிட்டார்.

சாந்த ஸ்வரூபியான இறைவனும்,
சாந்தம் கலைந்து முனியைச் சபித்தார்,

“நரகத்தில் நீ விழுந்து புரள்வாய்”என்று!
நாரணன் வாக்குப் பொய்யாகலாகுமா?

இடியுண்ட நாகம்போல நடுங்கினாலும்,
இறைவனிடம் கேட்டார் “எது நரகம்?”

நாராயணனும், நிலத்தில் மண்மீது
சீரான வரைபடம் ஒன்றை வரைந்தார்.

பிரபஞ்சம் முழுவதும் அங்கே அழகிய
பிரசித்தி பெற்ற படமாக உருவானது.

நரகத்தைச் சுட்டிக் காட்டிய இறைவன்,
‘நரகம்’ எனப் பெயரையும் எழுதினான்.

“இதுவா நரகம்? இதுதானே நரகம்?
இப்போதே நான் அதில் புரள்கின்றேன்!”

மண்ணில் வரைந்த படத்தில் உள்ள
மண் நரகத்தில் புரண்டார் முனிவர்.

“ஏய்க்கின்றீர் நீர்! இதுவா நரகம்?
துய்க்க வேண்டும் தண்டனையை!”

“தாங்களே வரைந்தீர்கள் பிரபஞ்சத்தை!
தாங்களே நரகத்தையும் வரைந்துவிட்டு,

தாங்களே அதன் பெயரையும் எழுதினீர்!
தங்கள் வாக்குப் பொய்யாகலாகுமா ஐயனே?”

நாரணனுக்கே நகைப்பு வந்துவிட்டது.
நாரதரை தண்டிப்பதும் கூடக் கடினமே!

வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.

#060. NAradha’s narakam (Hell)

NAradha can at times be really trying other people’s patience – with his naughty behaviour. On one such occasion Lord NArAyaNa lost His temper and cursed NAradha to be tossed into the Hell and suffer there.

NAradha was shivering with fear since Lord’s words cannot go in waste. He would have to face the narakam. He told the Lord,”I have never been to narakam. Swami please kindly show me where it is located”

Lord drew a picture of the Universe on the ground in front of Him and showed where narakam was located. NAradha asked him to pinpoint the Hell. Lord wrote the word narakam (Hell) on its location in the map drawn by Him.

NAradha exclaimed,”So this is the Hell. This is the narakam where I am to be tossed in order to suffer.” He tossed himself on that spot and rolled asif in severe pain.

Lord told NAradha, “You are trying to cheat me and escape the punishment. This is not narakam. This is only a map of narakam.”

NAradha told the Lord, “Your words can never become lies. You yourself drew this map and labeled this spot as narakam the Hell. So it has become narakam already. I too have exhausted my punishment in this narakam.”

Lord forgot his anger and burst out laughing – since it is was very difficult even to punish the naughty NAradha.

ரதர் ஒரு நாள் தன் துடுக்குத்தனத்தால்
வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.
NAradha can at times be really trying other people’s patience – with his naughty behaviour. On one such occasion Lord NArAyaNa lost His temper and cursed NAradha to be tossed into the Hell and suffer there.
NAradha was shivering with fear since Lord’s words cannot go in waste. He would have to face the narakam. He told the Lord,”I have never been to narakam. Swami please kindly show me where it is located”
Lord drew a picture of the Universe on the ground in front of Him and showed where narakam was located. NAradha asked him to pinpoint the Hell. Lord wrote the word narakam (Hell) on its location in the map drawn by Him.
NAradha exclaimed,”So this is the Hell. This is the narakam where I am to be tossed in order to suffer.” He tossed himself on that spot and rolled asif in severe pain.
Lord told NAradha, “You are trying to cheat me and escape the punishment. This is not narakam. This is only a map of narakam.”
NAradha told the Lord, “Your words can never become lies. You yourself drew this map and labeled this spot as narakam the Hell. So it has become narakam already. I too have exhausted my punishment in this narakam.”
Lord forgot his anger and burst out laughing – since it is was very difficult even to punish the naughty NAradha.

ரதர் ஒரு நாள் தன் துடுக்குத்தனத்தால்
வாழ்க வளமுடன்,
விசாலாக்ஷி ரமணி.