• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

‘No democracy without dissent’: 49 celebrities in letter to PM

prasad1

The lynching of Muslims, Dalits and other minorities must be stopped immediately, celebrities from various fields have said in an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi while also stressing that there is “no democracy without dissent”.

The letter, written by 49 eminent personalities, including filmmakers Shyam Benegal and Aparna Sen as well as vocalist Shubha Mudgal and historian Ramchandra Guha, also noted that Jai Shri Ram has been reduced to “provocative war cry”.

“We, as peace loving and proud Indians, are deeply concerned about a number of tragic events that have been happening in recent times in our beloved country,” the letter dated July 23 said. “The lynching of Muslims, Dalits and other minorities must be stopped immediately. We were shocked to learn from the NCRB that there have been no less than 840 instances of atrocities against Dalits in the year 2016, and a definite decline in the percentage of convictions,” it continued.

They also regretted that “Jai Shri Ram” has been reduced to a “provocative war cry” and alleged the prime minister’s inaction on the issue. “You have criticised such lynchings in Parliament Mr. Prime Minister, but that is not enough! What action has actually been taken against the perpetrators?””Ram is sacred for the majority community, stop defiling the name of Ram,” the letter read.

It also underscored the significance of dissent in a democracy.

“There is no democracy without dissent. People should not be branded anti-national or urban Naxal and incarcerated because of dissent against the government.”The signatories to the letter include Bengali cinema thespian Soumitro Chatterjee, southern filmmaker-actor Revathy, social activist Binayak Sen and sociologist Ashis Nandy.

Modiji and his bhakts should publicly accept and embrace this letter if they believe in democracy.

Jaykay767

Much needed message !! Kudos to the eminent personalities !

High time, the right realises their mistakes and move to the center, but the way they are trashing the celebs who wrote this letter, I doubt anything positive will come out of it.

This is what the right wing leaders have to realise, once you accommodate fringe elements to win elections, they start controlling you !

Janaki Jambunathan

Are they really concerned ? முதலை கண்ணீர்!

Most of the celebrities are Bengalis - The selective liberals are loosing their ground in W Bengal. It is political agenda under the burkha of concern for dalits muslim and minority.

Ashish Nandy - one of the celebrities - this is what he said about Dalits

January 2013, Nandy participated in a panel where he was quoted to have made controversial statements on corruption among "lower" castes in India. It was reported that he said,
It is a fact that most of the corrupt come from OBCs and Scheduled Castes and now increasingly the Scheduled Tribes. I will give an example. One of the states with the least amount of corruption is state of West Bengal when the CPI(M) was there. And I must draw attention to the fact that in the last 100 years, nobody from OBC, SC and ST has come anywhere near to power. It is an absolutely clean state.[11]

Jaykay767

Such statements are totally unacceptable. No 2 ways about this. But this is not relevant to the terrible mob lynchings that are happening across so many states.

And, the issue is not about whether they are really concerned or not. How does it matter ?

The core issue is that such terrible lynchings, are not causing any moral alarm in the right wing and they are stonewalling by blaming the eminent personalities as usual.

Seriously for a party that lays claims to Hinduism, and talks about tolerance, dharma and karma ?? It would be hilarious if it was not so tragic !!

Janaki Jambunathan

The core issue is that such terrible lynchings, are not causing any moral alarm in the right wing and they are stonewalling by blaming the eminent personalities as usual.(#4)

They also regretted that “Jai Shri Ram” has been reduced to a “provocative war cry” and alleged the prime minister’s inaction on the issue. (#1)

For#4

No blaming - but exposing - Where were all these eminent personalities when Priya Saha or Taslima was targeted ? She (Taslima) was evicted from Kolkata - no body raised a voice!

Last times the eminent personalities were in Award Wapsi mode! Now they write a letter!

These eminent personalities have to be in limelight always Since public meory is short they have to appear frequently atleast once 3 years

So there is a recurring pattern - has to happen once in 3 or 4 years & not once in 40 years!

For #1

It is strange but true Amaritya Sen who feels Jai Sri Ram war cry is an import to W.Bengal - is not one among the 49 Bara Bazar gang! I

Janaki Jambunathan

Jaykay767

The core issue is that such terrible lynchings, are not causing any moral alarm in the right wing and they are stonewalling by blaming the eminent personalities as usual.(#4)

They also regretted that “Jai Shri Ram” has been reduced to a “provocative war cry” and alleged the prime minister’s inaction on the issue. (#1)

For#4

No blaming - but exposing - Where were all these eminent personalities when Priya Saha or Taslima was targeted ? She (Taslima) was evicted from Kolkata - no body raised a voice!

Last times the eminent personalities were in Award Wapsi mode! Now they write a letter!

These eminent personalities have to be in limelight always Since public meory is short they have to appear frequently atleast once 3 years

So there is a recurring pattern - has to happen once in 3 or 4 years & not once in 40 years!

For #1

It is strange but true Amaritya Sen who feels Jai Sri Ram war cry is an import to W.Bengal - is not one among the 49 Bara Bazar gang! I

How does it matter, if the liberals are being selective ? So what ? Many of them have an agenda, so be it. Doesn't right wing want a harmonious country, now that elections are over ?

Does right want to see such terrible lunchings in the country under their watch ?

Do they want to continue this vitriolic hatred against minorities, Muslims, Christians, church, ?

The fact is lynchistan is real, gau rakshak attacks started under this administration, vitriolic hate speeechs by ministers are from this govt, not by opposition, etc..

prasad1

Mamata Banerje Zindabad or rose??

I am sorry to say that JJji you have fallen in the trap of right-wingers.
Instead of commenting on the post you just point to others and say that they too failed. Two failures do not make it right.

If I point out in the BJP run administration, you just point to failures of some left-winger. I do not condone the left winger's mistake either. You, on the other hand, are so afraid of criticizing the administration as if they are your wayward children. This is not a game.

Has your MODI or any of his ministers have come out in the defense of people who are getting LYNCHED?
If not then why? It is pacifying their base. Unfortunately, the people who are getting lynched are Human beings too, they may not be your caste, color, or religion, but human all the same.

I am sorry, now I realize you are one of them.

Janaki Jambunathan

If I point out in the BJP run administration, you just point to failures of some left-winger.(#8)

I am sorry, now I realize you are one of them.(#8)

What created Modi wave?

The bungling of secular and left Liberals - appeasing the minorities with no programme to uplift them educationally and economically - creating a vote bank ! Shahu Banu Judgement reversal and Mamtas action when Vijayadasmi coincides with Muhharam! The left faulted exposing their intolerance while dealing with Somnath Chatterjee - To fight right forces the left has no credibility

By exposing their mistakes I expect a course correction Personel attack on Modi is no solution சாகர காலத்ல சங்கரா சங்கரா ( Becoming a Shivbakth will cut no ice with Hindus you have antagonized) is a negative approach ! The left liberals should be like Caesar's wife or in Jai Sri Ram era like Rama's wife - be above suspicion if they want to take on Modi !

They should be seen to be truly liberal! Do Dynasts have entitlement in Democracy ? They are like scorpion on Shiv lingam - you can't remove with hand nor hit with cheppal! Don't cling on to them!

I see none of them happening and I am sorry about that!

Last edited:

Janaki Jambunathan

prasad1

“There is only one thing that I have to say,” said Varun Bahar, a Bhojpuri and Hindi singer, whose recent song, Jo Na Bole Jai Shri Ram, Bhej Do Usko Kabristan, has people baying for his arrest.

“I’m a bhakt of Jai Shri Ram,” he said. “This is all about Hindutva. It is only about Hindutva.”
In a phone conversation with HuffPost India on Thursday, 35-year-old Bahar said that he had written the controversial song, which sounds like an open call for violence.

It goes like this: “Jo na bole Jai Shri Ram, bhej do usko kabristan. Jitne bhi hain ab Ram virodhi, unko ab dafnayenge. Poore Hindustan ke andar Ram Rajya phir layenge. (Those who do not say Jai Shri Ram,send them to Kabristan. Let’s bury those who oppose Ram. We will get Ram Rajya in Hindustan again).
Kabristan, in common parlance, is used to refer to a graveyard used by Muslims and Christians.
An image of a graveyard with crosses appears in the video.

Bahar, who is presently in Gonda in Uttar Pradesh, said, “Sometimes it takes me ten minutes to write a song, sometimes a day, but it depends on the song. This one took me two days. I’m from a Hindu family. I’m a devotee of Shri Ram. I will not stop singing.”

Bahar’s songs are among the burgeoning soundtrack of hate which, like many other aspects of communal hatred in Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-run India, has become commonplace.

For a while now, there have been reports of songs with chilling lyrics targeting Muslims being played on the streets during the celebration of religious festivals. There is little that the police can do to stop it.

‘This Is All About Hindutva,’ Says Singer Of Jo Na Bole Jai Shri Ram
This “Ram bhakt” also makes misogynistic and raunchy music videos.
www.huffingtonpost.in

Janaki Jambunathan

"saffron terror" did seal the fate of liberals in 2019 - Now they are harping on "Jai Shri Ram War Cry" - By hurting Hindu Sentiments - next time they may land in their Kabaristan!

CPM realized this post poll

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: After living in denial for a whole week since its rout in the Lok Sabha polls, CPM on Saturday finally acknowledged that LDF was done in by the 'Sabarimala factor'.

Sure path to Kabristan is via Sabaristan !

Moral or take home message to liberals - to stay relevant stop taking pot shots at Hindu Sentiments

Stick to your secular yard stick and not be selective beat Hindus with secular stick - not be seen when minorities need that stick as well!

“If you create kabristaan (graveyard) in a village, then a shamshaan (cremation ground) should be created. If electricity is given uninterrupted in Ramzan, then it should be given in Diwali without a break. Bhedbhaav nahin hona chahiye (there should be no discrimination,”

Last edited:
The lynching of Muslims, Dalits and other minorities must be stopped immediately, celebrities from various fields have said in an open letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi while also stressing that there is “no democracy without dissent”.

The letter, written by 49 eminent personalities, including filmmakers Shyam Benegal and Aparna Sen as well as vocalist Shubha Mudgal and historian Ramchandra Guha, also noted that Jai Shri Ram has been reduced to “provocative war cry”.

“We, as peace loving and proud Indians, are deeply concerned about a number of tragic events that have been happening in recent times in our beloved country,” the letter dated July 23 said. “The lynching of Muslims, Dalits and other minorities must be stopped immediately. We were shocked to learn from the NCRB that there have been no less than 840 instances of atrocities against Dalits in the year 2016, and a definite decline in the percentage of convictions,” it continued.

They also regretted that “Jai Shri Ram” has been reduced to a “provocative war cry” and alleged the prime minister’s inaction on the issue. “You have criticised such lynchings in Parliament Mr. Prime Minister, but that is not enough! What action has actually been taken against the perpetrators?””Ram is sacred for the majority community, stop defiling the name of Ram,” the letter read.

“There is no democracy without dissent. People should not be branded anti-national or urban Naxal and incarcerated because of dissent against the government.”The signatories to the letter include Bengali cinema thespian Soumitro Chatterjee, southern filmmaker-actor Revathy, social activist Binayak Sen and sociologist Ashis Nandy.

Modiji and his bhakts should publicly accept and embrace this letter if they believe in democracy.

arunsark

Dont' we have enough forums outside this community to discuss politics, why should this forum be also a platform for polarizing political discussions.

I think the letter written by these so called liberals and pseudo secularists is in poor taste, without any basis. The atrocities that were committed by the Congress since independence, the goings on in West Bengal by the TMC government seem to have been ignored by these "eminent personalities". Very unfortunate to see Revathy and Maniratnam being associated with this riff raff.

Lynching of Not only minorities but also Hindus are illegal and must be stopped. Why these 49 people did not raise their voice when several Hindus were killed ? This one sided action clearly proves their wrong motives.

Lynching of Not only minorities but also Hindus are illegal and must be stopped. Why these 49 people did not raise their voice when several Hindus were killed ? This one sided action clearly proves their wrong motives.

Selective outrage is very bad. Are Hindu lives less precious. Also pl don't forget the fake narratives. Any death or accident is being projected such conspiring against hindus

prasad1

I see that it has been moved to the politics section.
When originally posted it was not politics.
The lynching of people is not politics, it is more of Law and order situation.
By drowning in pseudo outrage over extraneous items, people want to forget that the lynching is wrong morally, it might be difficult to accept that our people are doing it to our people.
Some on the site do not consider people of other religion to be our people, that is sad.

What is the difference between this group and Trump? He famously equated White supremacist, with counter-protestor to say that there are good people on both sides.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media