• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

கருடபுராணம் கூறும் மறுபிறவி ரகசியம் - Garuda Puranam Abou

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching this video - close to 1 hr now. Long time ago I raised the question in this forum - "Why for an year after demise of close relatives, theettu is followed". This video has the answer - the jeevan after death travels through various lokas for an year having only the masaapthigam offered by son for its food, and crosses the Vaitharani river and finally reaches Yama loka by the 13th month after demise. So this is why all this period that jeeva hasn't reached yama's abode is theettu period. Anyone interested - follow after 45 min of the above video in OP.

Dear Jayashree,

One year is 'mourning' period and not 'theettu' period. 'Theettu' is only for 10 days.

In fact, on the 13th day, the grieving family members will wear new dresses and go to a nearby temple to pray. :)

Dear Raji Madam,

I used incorrect word - theettu. I meant to say the reason why for an year Hindus/Brahmins do not conduct any ceremonies, festivals, rituals, etc for an year after the demise of close relatives.

Dear Jayashree,

It is believed that if elderly persons leave this world, they will bless the family, when an 'upanayanam' or wedding is celebrated

within one year of their demise. :angel:

But Naandhi is not allowed, it seems.

Dear Jayashree,

It is believed that if elderly persons leave this world, they will bless the family, when an 'upanayanam' or wedding is celebrated

within one year of their demise. :angel:

But Naandhi is not allowed, it seems.

This was informative, I am only used to knowing the more popular saying that when close relatives die, no festivities are allowed for an year. Thanks for letting me know this.

Festivals are not celebrated and pilgrimages are not taken for one year, even if the departed member lived up to the ripe age.

Naandhi, which is a ritual for pitrus, is also not allowed in that period.

The one year period is the time is the one in which every month a ceremony is performed for the departed soul. As certain invocation is done during these ceremonies, the kartha doing such invocations is not supposed to visit temples where there are flagstaff or temples which are on a mountain/hill as there are devathas installed in these temples in many places. This is the info I gathered from a purohit when I asked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back