• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sri Madura Kali Amman Temple

Status
Not open for further replies.
98308c20ec1aee5bf738a34bb1cdc048_222_222_thumb.jpg

Sri Madura Kali amman Temple is situated in Siruvachur Village off Trichy-Chennai Higway 15 kms. south of Perambalur and 48 kms from Trichy. The temple is open during Monday and Friday only as on other days it is beleived that the Goddess guards the village from the hills nearby along with her guards - Sri.Selliamman and Sri Karuppanna swamy. The Goddess is known as Sri Madhurambhika.
This small temple is built at the foothills of Madhira malai, hence the name Madurakali Amman. Many popular legends have been associated with this deity which does not have any written records so far. The history of temple and the goddess has been established through oral history and from stone edicts discovered in Trichy district.
The temple is believed to have been built during early Chola period by Dharma Varman. The issueless king prayed to Goddess Kaliamman and a son was born to him. In gratitude to the goddess he had the temple at the foot hills built. 300 years later Srila Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra Swamigal installed the "Sri Chakra" in the Sanctum Sanctorum and consecrated it.
According to legends Goddess Parvati, consort of Lord Shiva came down to earth in the form of Kali to destroy the asura Charukan, who had been terrorizing the innocent and helpless living in these hills. After Kali destroyed him, Lord Shiva appeared and cooled her anger. He blessed Kali and asked her to stay as the guardian and benefactor of the people in the hills.
Another legend regarding the goddess' name is attributed to the story of five rishis. The five Rishis- 'Mudavar, Panthagar, Boumar, Arunar and Sigandeesar' were performing penance in the hills. Each day of the week except on Monday's and Friday's each rishi used to take turns to perform various rituals to Goddess Kali. The goddess appeared before each of them and showered her blessings on them. Overwhelmed by the Goddess's visit, the rishis requested her to make home under the Kumkumam tree, so that they could visit and pay obeisance. The Goddess granted their wish. Each day when one of the rishi's prayed to her, honey dropped from a beehive above the Goddess and fall on their lips. This honey drops was regarded as divine nectar, hence the Goddess was called "Madhura Kaliamman", Madura meaning divine nectar.
Perumaruda malai the hill behind Madhira malai is now known as Periasamy malai. A legend regarding this hill is the story of three Siddars - 'Notchindar, Neminadar, Sambu' who lived here. One day they came across an abandoned child and brought him up. He grew up as Boodhar and was educated by the siddhars. On completion of their earthy duties, the siddhars were transformed into honey bees, a curse of their previous birth when as shepherds they stole honey from a saint. The saint cursed them to become honey bees in their next birth to atone their sins.
The siddhars as honey bees made their home in the beehive of the tree at Madhira Malai. These honey bees made honey which fed the rishis when they came to pray Goddess Kali. This feeding of devotees through hard work absolved them of past sins. Boodhar who had come to pay respects to his teachers saw the rishis praying to the Goddess. He realised his true self and fell at the feet of Goddess Kali.She recognized him as the incarnation of Lord Narada and blessed him. Boodhar requested his teachers to pray to Kali to get back their human forms. The Goddess, pleased with their devotion blessed them and transformed them to their human form. Boodhar requested the Goddess that he should always think of her and pray to her.
Kali granted his wish by giving him permission to perform rituals on Mondays and Fridays as the other days of the week rituals were performed by the rishis. Hence the practice of performing pujas to Madurakali Amman only on Monday's and Fridays came into practise and is followed even today.
Another popular legend regarding her descent from the hills to the foothills revolves around the great Saint Adi Shankara.One day Adi Shankara was passing through the foothills of Madhira malai and rested under a tree. As he was concentrating on the Goddess, she appeared before him as a spring to quench his thirst. She showed her true form to Adi Sankara, blessed him and become an idol. Adi Sankara then consecrated this idol which is now worshipped as Madurakali Amman.
The temple is open during Monday and Friday only as on other days
it is beleived that the Goddess guards the village from the hills nearby along with her guards - Sri.Selliamman
and Sri Karuppanna swamy. The Goddess is known as Sri Madhurambhika.

The temple is believed to have been built during early Chola period by Dharma Varman. The issueless
king prayed to Goddess Kaliamman and a son was born to him. In gratitude to the goddess he had the
temple at the foot hills built. 300 years later Srila Sri Sadasiva Brahmendra Swamigal installed the
"Sri Chakra" in the Sanctum Sanctorum and consecrated it.

According to legends Goddess Parvati, consort of Lord Shiva came down to earth in the form of Kali
to destroy the Asura Charukan, who had been terrorizing the innocent and helpless living in these hills.
After Kali destroyed him, Lord Shiva appeared and cooled her anger. He blessed Kali and asked her to
stay as the guardian and benefactor of the people in the hills.

Another legend regarding the goddess' name is attributed to the story of five Rishis. The five Rishis-
'Mudavar, Panthagar, Boumar, Arunar and Sigandeesar' were performing penance in the hills. Each day
of the week except on Monday's and Friday's each Rishi used to take turns to perform various rituals
to Goddess Kali. The goddess appeared before each of them and showered her blessings on them.
Overwhelmed by the Goddess's visit, the Rishis requested her to make home under the Kumkumam tree,
so that they could visit and pay obeisance. The Goddess granted their wish. Each day when one of the
Rishi's prayed to her, honey dropped from a beehive above the Goddess and fall on their lips. This honey
drops was regarded as divine nectar, hence the Goddess was called "Madhura Kaliamman", Madura
meaning divine nectar.

Perumaruda Malai the hill behind Madhira Malai is now known as Periasamy Malai. A legend regarding
this hill is the story of three Siddars - 'Notchindar, Neminadar, Sambu' who lived here. One day they
the siddhars. On completion of their earthy duties, the Siddhars were transformed into honey bees,
a curse of their previous birth when as shepherds they stole honey from a saint. The saint cursed
them to become honey bees in their next birth to atone their sins.
The siddhars as honey bees made their home in the beehive of the tree at Madhira Malai. These
honey bees made honey which fed the rishis when they came to pray Goddess Kali. This feeding
of devotees through hard work absolved them of past sins. Boodhar who had come to pay respects
to his teachers saw the rishis praying to the Goddess. He realised his true self and fell at the feet
of Goddess Kali.She recognized him as the incarnation of Lord Narada and blessed him. Boodhar
requested his teachers to pray to Kali to get back their human forms. The Goddess, pleased with their
devotion blessed them and transformed them to their human form. Boodhar requested the Goddess
that he should always think of her and pray to her.Kali granted his wish by giving him permission
to perform rituals on Mondays and Fridays as the other days of the week rituals were performed by
the Rishis. Hence the practice of performing Pujas to Madurakali Amman only on Monday's and Fridays
came into practise and is followed even today

Kannagi’s Last Resort, Siruvachur
p-ab3gTb8xb3dLg.gif

The Epic of the Anklet, more commonly known as Silapathigaram, is perhaps one of the best known Epics
written in Tamil. Composed by Elangovadigal, the epic sang the story of a chaste woman, Kannagi.

Kannagi was a young woman of legendary beauty, as devout and chaste as she was beautiful.
A fitting match was made when she was given in marriage to Kovalan, a wealthy merchant from
KaveriPattanam. Life was a bed of roses for the loving couple until fate came in the form of Madhavi,
a strikingly beautiful danseuse at the court of the Chozha king Karikaalan. Kovalan was at once
enamoured by Madhavi’s dashing looks and totally forgot that he too had a wife, as beautiful and
chaste. Lust took over the man’s senses and he started living with Madhavi.

Back at KaveriPattanam, Kannagi was heartbroken over the news of her husband staying
in with a danseuse, but nevertheless she continued living as his wife, offering prayers for
the well being of Kovalan, wherever he was.

Kovalan stayed with Madhavi for a year. Over the period, his lack of interest in trade made him loose all his wealth. He had spent all that he had had in pleasing Madhavi. Madhavi soon bore him a daughter whom they named Manimekalai (another epic in Tamil is based on this daughter of Kovalan and Madhavi). At the end of the year, totally devoid of any wealth, Kovalan’s senses managed to kick in and he realised what he had done under the influence of lust. He begged Madhavi to forgive him and rushed back to Kannagi, who welcomed him back with open arms.
The reunited couple decided to go to Madurai and start a new life all over again. Kovalan planned
to restart his trade in the prosperous Pandian kingdom. But having lost everything, he had nothing
to capitalise on. It was then that Kannagi came to his rescue once again and gave him one of her
anklets. The anklet (silambu) was an exquisite work of art. Made out of gold and filled with precious
rubies, it was worth a fortune. Kovalan reluctantly took it to the market place to sell it for a suitable price.

Unfortunately for Kovalan, the queen of Nedunchezhian, the king of Madurai, had had one of her
anklets stolen by a greedy courtier. The anklets were very similar to Kannagi’s except for the fact
that they were filled with pearls rather than rubies. So when Kovalan attempted to sell the anklet
at a goldsmith’s place, the goldsmith immediately accused him to be the thief of her majesty’s anklets
and promptly turned him in to the guards. Nedunchezhia Pandian, in a towering fit of rage over the
fact that a theft had taken place in his prosperous city, ordered the guards to behead Kovalan without
even holding a trial. Kovalan was beheaded and his head rolled onto the sands of Madurai.

Kannagi on hearing the news was overwhelmed with anger and grief. She at once took her
other anklet and marched onto the court of Nedunchezhian. There, in front of all the assembled
courtiers, she challenged the king, “Pandia, in the land that is reigned over by the Goddess Meenakshi,
you have committed an act of grave injustice”.

pattini-king-5002.jpg
Kannagi at Pandian Court

The King was shocked, “Pious lady, pray, what fault have I done? Why are you calling me unjust?”
“You have beheaded an innocent man. Your hands are soaked with the blood of a man who knew
no harm, who knew no crime.”

“That man stole my queen’s anklets. He deserved to die. In this prosperous land of Madurai,
which is overwhelmed with the blessings of the divine couple, no crime will be tolerated.”

“You fool, the man was innocent.”, screamed Kannagi, her eyes were red with anger.
“How do you know that? Do you know the man? Can you pove he is innocent?”
“What is the use, his life cannot be returned,” cried Kannagi, her voice chocked with grief.
“He was my husband, my god, my everything. And those anklets he tried to sell were mine, not the queen’s.”

“Aaaah, nice story. How can a poor woman like you have such an exquisite anklet?”
“Base man, unjust king, behold this.”, she screamed and took out her anklet. The king was shocked. “The queen’s anklets are filled with pearls, but here is mine, the other of the pair, filled with rubies. Rubies, the colour
of the innocent blood on your hands.” And she threw down the anklet. The anklet broke
and rubies burst out of it. “There, do you see? Your act of injustice. You killed an innocent man.
You have slipped in your duty as a king. Do you deserve the crown and the umbrella and all the
other paraphernalia?” Kannagi shouted, her voice thick with anger.

The king and queen, could’nt bear the injustice that they had done and right there in front of
Kannagi, they gave up their life. But Kannagi was not satisfied. She was burning inwards at her loss,
at the injustice she had been subjected to. She tore off one of her breasts and flung it to the ground,
“If I have been a true Pathivratha, then let this entire city of Madurai be reduced to ashes.
The burning that I feel, let it burn up the city too.” she cursed.

And at once, tall flames burst up in the city. The whole of Madurai was burning, fed with the power
of Kannagi’s chastity. People ran helter skelter and buildings just crumbled down into ashes. Finally,
the patron goddess of the city, requested Kannagi to stop the raging fires. Kannagi agreed to the
divine request and withdrew her curse. Badly burnt in the fires herself, Kannagi left the smouldering
city of Madurai and proceeded northwards.

Near the city of Trichy, Kannagi came across a devi temple and decided to rest there for the night.
The temple’s presiding deity was Chelliamman, fondly referred to as Chelli. Kannagi went into the
deserted temple and prepared to rest for the night. It was then that something strange happened.
Chelli came out of the sanctum and said “Lady, I request you not to stay here.” she said to Kannagi.
Kannagi was astounded, “Devi, why are you asking me to go away. Are’nt you supposed to protect us?”
“Child, you dont know the situation. I am a powerful goddess, yes. But now I am bound to serve the whims
and wishes of a cruel magician. He won my favor with his intense devotion towards me. And when I granted
him any boon that he could wish for, he wanted me to be his servant, obeying his tiniest commands.
By the power of my own boon, I am bound to him. He uses me to do all his wicked deeds. If he finds
out that you have been here, he will surely kill you. Thats why I beseech you to go away as soon as
possible.”, explained Chelli.

Kannagi was moved by Chelli’s problems and promised that she would help her to get out of the same.
Kannagi and Chelli planned to kill the wicked magician. As night fell, Kannagi withdrew into the sanctum
along with Chelli. She invoked her family deity, Kali, to help her in vanquishing the magician. Kali granted
Kannagi all her powers to kill the evil sorcerer.

Soon the magician came by and ordered Chelli to come out. But to his great surprise, Kannagi
sprang out and with one sweep of the sword she cut his head off. Before dying, the sorcerer
made a final request that he sould have his samadhi in the very same temple and all the devoteed
should stamp on him for all the evil that he had done. Kannagi granted him his final wish. Chelli too
was freed from the bond and was happy beyond all measures.

Chelli looked at Kannagi, her eyes full of gratitude, ” Kannagi, I am so grateful to you for what
you have done. I want you to stay over here forever more and protect the people of this village
of Siruvachur. This place is mine no more. In this village, under your powerful rule, no deeds of
evil can take place any more. People with evil intentions cannot even enter the village.
Billi-soonyam, black magic and Devilic tantras will not workout here. Protect all of the people
who come in search of refuge from the evil forces. I will now retreat into the forests of
Periyasami hills. You are always welcome to visit me over there.”

Kannagi was overwhelmed with happiness and promised Chelli that she would do her best
to rid the world of evil. “I will bless your devotees and mine with protection from all kinds of
evil. But I will be down here only twice a week, on mondays and fridays. The other five days,
I will be with you, up on the summits of Periyasami hills. I also request that you accept all the
offerings and poojas at this temple before I accept them”, she said.

Chelli agreed to Kannagi’s conditions and left to her new abode at the Periyasami Hills
And so, Kannagi took over the seat of Chelli at the temple. She came to be known as
Madhurakaliamman, since she had come from Madurai and had gotten rid of the evil
sorcerer with the grace of Kali. Several other explanations are also given for her name.
Soon, word of her power spread far and wide and people started pouring in. The town of
Siruvachur became famous for the grace and protection of the presiding deity and has
remained so ev

The temple is open only on Mondays and Fridays, as was Commanded by Kali. All the other days it is
believed that Madhurakali Amman retreats into the Periyasami hills to spend time with Chelli Amman

siruva.jpg

In front of the main sanctum is present the samadhi of the evil sorcerer who had
commaded over Chelli. The devotees stamp over the samadhi in the rush during the pooja,
as had been requested by him. Also, it is believed that all the priests at the temple are
descendents of the sorcerer. It is believed that Kali keeps a close watch on them so that
they do not, in anyway, inherit the evil mind of their forefather.

The temple is known for protecting people from demonic forces and evil elements. In the times of yore,
a board existed on the border of the town of Siruvachur claiming thus, “In the holy town of Siruvachur,
ruled over by MadhuraKali, no form of evil will be allowed to exist. Eval, Billi Soonyam, Kaathu Karuppu
will all fail to work and backfire on the originators. People with evil intents are warned from entering the
town.” Even today, the temple happens to be on the top of the list of ways to counteract black magic
and other similar stuff. I would strongly recommend people who doubt that they are being hindered by
evil forces to visit this temple and take refuge in the shadows of Her holy feet. She will protect us all.

And so remains Madhurakali, in the village of Siruvachur, granting solace and refuge to all her
devotees who come to her in times of need, just like she had protected and solved the problem of
Chelli eons ago.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Source: Google

Really Beautiful to Read... I had been
to this Temple once and still longing for the Second Chance to see...

Very important period to visit are : Aadi Vellikizhamai and Thai Vellikizhamai besides
other stipulated period. People who visit this temple get many benefits like - getting
issue to the couple who do not have, unwanted problems get eliminated once a person
visits and offer a prayer to HER and people who pray HER will have a house of their own
to live and many other things like fulfillment of marriage to the children, etc. It is a
Temple of many generations to many families. People to used to go in bullock carts
those days, as the temple is to be kept only on two days in a week i.e. Monday & Friday.
Now a days, there is a guest house behind the temple and food is supplied to all those
who visit the temple without any payment. Purely free. Rooms are available at a nominal
rent to keep personal belongings.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back