• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mahavakyas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upanishad Veda Mantras often told and to be known

1. Mahavakyas:
In advaita philosophy, Gods Dakshinamurthy , Dattatreyar, Narayanan and Brahma are worshipped first among the Guru Parampara. Then followed the Rishis Vasishta, his son Sakthi, his son Parasarar, his son Vyasa, and his son Suka. Suka was a bachelor, and therefore, the family hierarchy of the Guru Parampara did not continue and the Guru Peetam was taken over by a nominated Sishya (student). At some time down the line, the Rishis (Rishis married and led a normal married life but had extra ordinary occult powers where many aspects of Truth were 'revealed' to them, which subsequently went into the scriptures), were replaced by Sanyasis. Perhaps, this coincided with the time when Buddhism became predominant in the country. Therefore, Hinduism might have required ascetics, who had no attachments and who could fight the spread of Buddhism, who criticised the rituals and opposed the concept of God. In this line, came Gaudapada and his disciple, Govinda Bhagawat Pada, on the banks of the Narmada river. Adi Sankara was the disciple of Govinda Bhagawat Pada. He was a visionary and administrator par excellence. He established, for the first time, what is known as 'Aamnaya Peeta', i.e., regional Peetams, to cover the four corners of the country. He also allocated one Veda to be followed and propagated by each of these Peetams. He also assigned a 'Mahavakya', an extract of the essence of that particular Veda concerned, to each one of these Peetams. He made one disciple as the head of each one of these 'Aamnaya Mutt'. The details are given below.
1. East - Puri Mutt - Rig Veda - Maha Vakya - 'Pragnanam Brahma' - first Peetadhipathi - Hastaamalaka.
2. West - Dwaraka Mutt - Sama Veda - Mahavakya - 'Tat Twam Asi' - First Peetadhipathi - Padma Pada.
3. North - Badrinath - Atharva Veda - Mahavakya - 'Ayam Atma Brahma' - First Peetadhipathi - Totakacharya.
4. South - Sringeri Mutt (on the banks of the Tungabhadra river) - Yajur Veda - Mahavakya - 'Aham Brahmaasmi' - First Peetadhipathi - Suresvara, also known as Viswaroopa.
It must be kept in mind that while all the gurus upto Suka Rishi are common to all Hindus, Gaudapada and all his lineage of disciples spearheaded Advaitam (Monoism) and hence the Vasishtadwaites (Vaishnavites) and Dwaites (Madhvas) branched off and have their own Guru Parampara.
The first aphorism, Pragnanam Brahma, (Brahman is consciousness), appears in Aitareya Upanishad in the Rig Veda. This aphorism makes a general declaration that Brahman, the supreme reality is consciousness, homogenous, pervading everywhere, in the macro and microcosm. Since this pronounces homogeneity, it is known as 'Lakshana Vakya', which means 'a statement of definition'.
The second aphorism 'Tat Twam Asi' (That thou Art, You are that), appears in Chandogya Upanishad in the Sama Veda. It declares you are pure consciousness. Brahman and Atman are one and the same. The consciousness is the ocean and Atman, a wave and both are water. 'You are that'. This aphorism is the form of an advice to a spiritual seeker. Hence it is known as 'Upadesa Vakya', or a statement of advice.
The third aphorism 'Ayam Atma Brahma' (The self is Brahman), is in Mandukya Upanishad, in the Atharvana Veda. If Brahman is likened to a conflagration, the individual would be a spark arising from it. Both are the element fire. This truth is to be remembered at all times, by repeating it to oneself. This thought has to be entertained until you realise that you, the self is Brahman. Hence this aphorism is known as 'Abhyasa Vakya', or 'a statement of practice'.
The last or the fourth Aphorism 'Aham Brahma Asmi' ( I am Brahman), appears in Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, in the Yajur Veda. It means 'I am God'. It is the ultimate pronouncement of a self realised soul. The conditioned mind always expresses anything with 'I'. If you transcend the limitations of your material physical body, you realise that your real self is God. This is the ultimate experience in self-realisation. Hence it is known as 'Anubhava Vakya', or , 'a statement of experience'.
Sadhu A. Parthasarathy explains this beautifully by comparing petrol and car.
i) Petrol is the prime mover in all cars. But, petrol does not move, it has no desire to go anywhere, nor a desire to avoid going. Yet no car moves without petrol. Similarly, the self, 'Atman' is the activating principle, but the self does not act, nor has any desire to act, nor a desire to avoid any actions. Yet, no action is possible without the 'self'.
ii) The performance levels of different cars are different, depending upon the horse power of the engine. So it is with different personalities.'
iii) One car may be rashly driven, causing an accident, while another car may safely reach its destination. The petrol used in both the cars is the same, and cannot be blamed for the accident, or congratulated for the safety. So it is with Atman. In one, it manifests as a terrorist, and in another, as a sage. The Atman remains inert and neutral.
We must get out of this misconception that God is responsible for everything, good or bad. God is merely the substratum of all activities.
One must, therefore, "Uttishta Jaagrata Prapya Varaan Nibodadha", "Arise, Awake, Assert your real self", the great logo given by swami vivekananda to Ramakrishna Mission is from Katopanishad. The four Mahavakyas or aphorisms from the four Vedas, as quoted above, goads you to be "Your Self", and if you are 'that', you are God already. This is what Bhagwad gita slowly and steadily teaches you over 18 chapters. This is what Ramana Maharishi taught us, by asking 'Who am I', for an answer.

1. Pragnanam Brahma, (Brahman is consciousness),

2. 'Tat Twam Asi' (That thou Art, You are that)

3. 'Ayam Atma Brahma' (The self is Brahman)

4. 'Aham Brahma Asmi' ( I am Brahman),

No other religion equates Brahman to :first:

The Consciousness, The Atman,

and The Person himself /herself!

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

When we look at other religions, Buddhism concludes in 'Chunya'; just nothing, nothing at all. Jainism is not different to Hinduism, but concludes in 'Nirvana'. ( had an interesting discussion with my wife about 'nirvana'.... no, no!.. I mean the philosophy Nirvana! Trouble with discussing with my wife is, she would quote Richard Dawkins a lot). In our own Hinduism, 'Dwaitham' teaches just duality as the final; that is Jeevatmas are creation, Paramatma is creator. Abrahamic religions also follow dwaitham principles only. Advaitha principle teaches 'non-duality'. Then we also have vishistathdwaitham.

Cheers!

In our own Hinduism, 'Dwaitham' teaches just duality as the final;

Then we also have vishistathdwaitham.

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

Dvaitam means Dual..to have Two(Dual) we need One as the Substratum.
We can never have 2 without 1.

Now check out the word Vishishtaadvaita which is made up of 2 words..Vishistha(Qualified) Advaita(Monism)..so Advaita is present everywhere.

Dear Raghy,

Dvaitam means Dual..to have Two(Dual) we need One as the Substratum.
We can never have 2 without 1.

Now check out the word Vishishtaadvaita which is made up of 2 words..Vishistha(Qualified) Advaita(Monism)..so Advaita is present everywhere.
hi renuka
we have some more too.... DWAITHADVAITHAM.....SUDDHADVAITHAM......etc....sorry Lahhhh....

Last edited:
hi renuka lah,
we have some more too.... DWAITHADVAITHAM.....SUDDHADVAITHAM......etc....

TBS garu...you see I am using Garu correctly but you are using Lah wrongly!!LOL

Lah is never to be used behind a name.

BTW even in DWAITHADVAITHAM.....SUDDHADVAITHAM..one can find the word Advaitam.
So Advaitam is the basis of any understanding I guess.

TBS garu...you see I am using Garu correctly but you are using Lah wrongly!!LOL

Lah is never to be used behind a name.

BTW even in DWAITHADVAITHAM.....SUDDHADVAITHAM..one can find the word Advaitam.
So Advaitam is the basis of any understanding I guess.
hi renu...
sorry Lahhhhh.....

n the light of the above trend of discussion, do the Mahavakyas have anyrelevance now? How can we revert back to the main topic?or, is it closed?
Regards,
Ramanathan.

n the light of the above trend of discussion, do the Mahavakyas have anyrelevance now? How can we revert back to the main topic?or, is it closed?
Regards,
Ramanathan.

Once you start a thread, you have no idea where it is going to go. It has it's own path, you can try to bring it back, and sometimes it works. Best is to join in and see new ideas. LOL

I follow your advice, Mr. Prasad, Thank you.
There are numerous Truths stated in the various Upanishads. Why were these four aphorisms only chosen as Mahavakyas?
Regards,
Ramanathan.

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

There was one Sufi mystic and martyr from Persia named Al-Husayn Ibn Mansur Al-Hallaj (858-922 AD)
who said "ana Al Haqq" meaning "I am truth". which the people at that time found blasphemous
and put him to face brutal death. A brief biography and Doctrine of this Sufi Mystic is available
in the following Websites:

DOCTRINE OF IMAM MANSUR AL-HALLAJ
Pearltrees

Trust you are enjoying your holidays in States with your dear ones.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

There are numerous Truths stated in the various Upanishads. Why were these four aphorisms only chosen as Mahavakyas?
Regards,
Ramanathan.
hi
becoz these four mahavakyas are most suitable to advaita....more convenient too....many places dwaitha siddhanta in upanishads....

so its against their main siddhanta....

I think these are called vedanta vakyas in vedarta sangraha of Sri ramanuja.

hi
becoz these four mahavakyas are most suitable to advaita....more convenient too....many places dwaitha siddhanta in upanishads....

so its against their main siddhanta....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dr.S.Ramanathan

Regards,
Ramanathan.

It is the Truth the Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth Well Summarized hence called Mahavakya.

. . . प्रवृत्तं हि वेदान्त वाक्य जातं - "तत्त्वमसि", "अयमात्मा ब्रह्म" . . . इत्यादिकं

Yes, these are from the vedas. But my reference is from the vedarta sangraha of Sri ramanujacharya, a partial statement is as above.

hi
no.. its from upanishasds....mainly part of four vedas...

I am also interested in finding out how the term 'mahavakya' came into use. Below is an excerpt from another forum, just for reference. Too deep a topic for me.

"Yes, shankara does not explicitly label anything as *upanishad mahAvAkya*
in his prasthAna trayi bhAshya....though he uses the word *mahAvAkya* in
the sUtra bhAshya, context is grammar not an advocation of jIva-brahma identity. Here mahAvAkya means *whole sentence* as against *avAntara vAkya* (upa vAkya or sub sentence)."

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar

dear Sir!

Thank you. We are enjoying the loving company of our children and grandchildren.

Time really flies!!! I am completing my blogs one by one assisted by my efficient D.I.L. Seven blogs have been completed so far and eighth will be completed very soon.

Then it will be the time to go back to my studies, music, Veena, puja and yoga.

Thank you for the link.

The difference between Hinduism and the other religions is this...

For claiming to be The Truth, Imam Maanjur Al Hallaj was put to brutal death.

For claiming to be the son of God, Jesus was made a wear a crown of thorn and crucified.

But in India, whether we believe or disbelieve the maha vakhyas, we do not harm our guru/ aachaaryaa / swami for speaking out these truths.

Dear Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani,

There was one Sufi mystic and martyr from Persia named Al-Husayn Ibn Mansur Al-Hallaj (858-922 AD)
who said "ana Al Haqq" meaning "I am truth". which the people at that time found blasphemous
and put him to face brutal death. A brief biography and Doctrine of this Sufi Mystic is available
in the following Websites:

DOCTRINE OF IMAM MANSUR AL-HALLAJ
Pearltrees

Trust you are enjoying your holidays in States with your dear ones.

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

dear Sir!

Thank you. We are enjoying the loving company of our children and grandchildren.

Time really flies!!! I am completing my blogs one by one assisted by my efficient D.I.L. Seven blogs have been completed so far and eighth will be completed very soon.

Then it will be the time to go back to my studies, music, Veena, puja and yoga.

Thank you for the link.
The difference between Hinduism and the other religions is this...
For claiming to be The Truth, Imam Maanjur Al Hallaj was put to brutal death.
For claiming to be the son of God, Jesus was made a wear a crown of thorn and crucified.
But in India, whether we believe or disbelieve the maha vakhyas, we do not harm our guru/ aachaaryaa / swami for speaking out these truths.

Dear Mrs.Visalaksi Ramani,

Oh. Yes, I know how it is to be with family members, especially our grand children. The present generation of children are so well informed, to answer their doubts and queries, we are forced to update our knowledge. It is
good to see that you are busy as usual even during your sojourn in States.

Well, your observations are correct. All through the generations this country has encouraged openness in philosophical discussions,and accepted other faiths to spiritual enquiries. The Hindu rulers did not show any animosity towards new thinkers. Chera Elam (Kerala) set an example of this tolerance.It is claimed that Thomas the Apostle of Jesus landed with his followers in 52 AD and established the first Christian community in India, near Kodungallur. This is the earliest Syrian Christian Centre of Nasranis in Malabar Area. (Nasrani is the term used for the followers of Nazarene messiah - Jesus)".

Similarly the Cheraman Jama Masjid in Kodungallur is the oldest and perhaps the first Mosque in India built around 612 AD. It is believed the last Cheraman Peruman had gone to Mecca to learn about Islam and became a Muslim there. And, this last Cheraman became sick while returning to India and died in the port town of Salalah(Oman). This has also been confirmed by the present descendant of Cheraman family Raja Valiathampuram of Kodungallur in an interview.

The History of Jews also records that the first Group of Jews landed in Cranganore (Kodungallur) at about circa 70 to escape the persecution of their community in their home land. Then they proceeded to Kochi where they were granted land for settlement by the then Chera King.

In North India also, Parsis the followers of Zoroastrian Religion landed in Gujarat in tenth century, and the local ruler Jadi Rana gave asylum to them to continue their religion and profession.

It is my view that for spiritual progress Religion is not a hindrance, if we accept the words of Rig Veda " Let Noble thoughts come to us from all sides " (R.V. 1-89-i)

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

எல்லாருமே மூக்கை பிடிச்சிண்டு உட்காந்தா who will punish the adharmic and silence the loud mouths?

Dear Mrs.Visalaksi Ramani,

Oh. Yes, I know how it is to be with family members, especially our grand children. The present generation of children are so well informed, to answer their doubts and queries, we are forced to update our knowledge. It is
good to see that you are busy as usual even during your sojourn in States.

Well, your observations are correct. All through the generations this country has encouraged openness in philosophical discussions,and accepted other faiths to spiritual enquiries. The Hindu rulers did not show any animosity towards new thinkers. Chera Elam (Kerala) set an example of this tolerance.It is claimed that Thomas the Apostle of Jesus landed with his followers in 52 AD and established the first Christian community in India, near Kodungallur. This is the earliest Syrian Christian Centre of Nasranis in Malabar Area. (Nasrani is the term used for the followers of Nazarene messiah - Jesus)".

Similarly the Cheraman Jama Masjid in Kodungallur is the oldest and perhaps the first Mosque in India built around 612 AD. It is believed the last Cheraman Peruman had gone to Mecca to learn about Islam and became a Muslim there. And, this last Cheraman became sick while returning to India and died in the port town of Salalah(Oman). This has also been confirmed by the present descendant of Cheraman family Raja Valiathampuram of Kodungallur in an interview.

The History of Jews also records that the first Group of Jews landed in Cranganore (Kodungallur) at about circa 70 to escape the persecution of their community in their home land. Then they proceeded to Kochi where they were granted land for settlement by the then Chera King.

In North India also, Parsis the followers of Zoroastrian Religion landed in Gujarat in tenth century, and the local ruler Jadi Rana gave asylum to them to continue their religion and profession.

It is my view that for spiritual progress Religion is not a hindrance, if we accept the words of Rig Veda " Let Noble thoughts come to us from all sides " (R.V. 1-89-i)

Warm Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Having been on this site for sometimes, after the departure of so called "rationalist", I am amazed at this post.
It is refreshing. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back