• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

12 Angry Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

Some of the English movie buffs & experts might have known this film. Got to see it as part of my leadership training sessions at IIM.

Boy, what a movie !!! Whoever said black n white movies aren't interesting ?

The plot is about 12 Jurors who are given the responsibility of finding whether a 18 year old boy is guilty of murdering his father or not. The movie starts with 11 jurors agreeing & 1 disagreeing.

What follows from there is intense drama, thinking out of box, going beneath the facts, setting aside biases & winning over your worst adversary.

Henry Fonda as the disagreeing Juror is fabulous & so are all the other actors.

Great movie, Great experience, Great learnings. And to think of it, the entire movie is shot predominantly in a sticky room with just couple of scenes elsewhere.

Must watch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/

Ruka Huwa Faisla

This movie has already been made in Hindi more than 20 years back. Movie was titled "Ruka Huwa Faisla" and dramatically shows how one dissenting member of Jury converts eleven other members to his point of view.

I quite liked the movie. Most of the actors were not the normal commercial box office movie actor types but those who act in parallel cinema, serials etc. Obviously, the quality was quite pleasing.

After I saw the movie, I often wondered why the jury system has been discontinued in India ? I understand it is still in vogue in UK, US etc.

Without the Jury system, Perry Mason would have been nowhere and nobody would have read Erle Stanley Gardner !

Some of the English movie buffs & experts might have known this film. Got to see it as part of my leadership training sessions at IIM.

Boy, what a movie !!! Whoever said black n white movies aren't interesting ?

The plot is about 12 Jurors who are given the responsibility of finding whether a 18 year old boy is guilty of murdering his father or not. The movie starts with 11 jurors agreeing & 1 disagreeing.

What follows from there is intense drama, thinking out of box, going beneath the facts, setting aside biases & winning over your worst adversary.

Henry Fonda as the disagreeing Juror is fabulous & so are all the other actors.

Great movie, Great experience, Great learnings. And to think of it, the entire movie is shot predominantly in a sticky room with just couple of scenes elsewhere.

Must watch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/

Last edited by a moderator:
Prejudice, Cateism, Regional Chauvinism etc etc.

Dear LQ,

Jury system will work only when people are free from biases.
We are so used to stereotyping, any decision the jury will take will be based on the bias. Consider the case against 27% reservation..what would be the ideal composition of the jury? Is it drawn out random from the population and if so how do we identify people without any special tagging?

Consider the cauvery case, again what will be the ideal composition?

Just because of the number game only we are in the state where we are at the moment.

With regards,
Kudumi.

Even in a democratic society, the peace, prosperity and happiness of minorities is dependent on the tolerance of the majority community, for the brute strength of majority can ride roughshod over the puny opposition.

Contrary to the popular notion that politicians represent the will of majority, at times it has been proven that majority will lay elsewhere and politicians were only barking in the dark. One such example is emergency period where there was a clear disconnect between what the people felt and what the politicians reported to their top bosses.

If the majority of the population feel that they are getting a fair share of the loot and are adequately represented in power, they may even support reservation-free country. So, the views hawked by some politicans does not mean the end of the road.

Every human is blessed with a sense of justice and fairplay. I do not subscribe to the view that a jury comprising predominantly of say Yadavs will hold a say non-Yadav guilty against a Yadav just for the heck of supporting their caste.

Perhaps what I am trying to say has been beautifully told in the short story "Panch Parameshwar" by noted author Munshi Premchand in which a hindu villager declares his muslim friend turned enemy innocent once he occupies the chair of the Panch (Judge).

Dear LQ,

Jury system will work only when people are free from biases.
We are so used to stereotyping, any decision the jury will take will be based on the bias. Consider the case against 27% reservation..what would be the ideal composition of the jury? Is it drawn out random from the population and if so how do we identify people without any special tagging?

Consider the cauvery case, again what will be the ideal composition?

Just because of the number game only we are in the state where we are at the moment.

With regards,
Kudumi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back