• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is God nonvegetarian"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do have problem assigning worldly traits to God.
So please define the attributes of your God.
I did read your blog.

I did read your blog.

I 100% agree with you..we are Humanizing God just to make ourselves feel better and to justify any act of ours.

I did read your blog.

I am agnostic. That is why I am asking those questions. I am not making up those stories that I wrote about. The goat sacrifice by Abraham (after putting his son on the cutting block first), piLLaik kaRi offer by ciruttoNDar to a sivanaDiyar (shiva came in the guise of the aDiyAr), and the ancient animal sacrifice by Hindu priests are all in the religious texts.

I 100% agree with you..we are Humanizing God just to make ourselves feel better and to justify any act of ours.

What do you mean by "we"? Are you talking about yourself or the entrenched temple habits? You are asking the same question that I am asking.

What do you mean by "we"? Are you talking about yourself or the entrenched temple habits? You are asking the same question that I am asking.

WE is used to denote a similarity of species.Since all of us are humans here I used to word WE!LOL

Ask your temple priest.

Ok wait ..I called up my temple preist and he said :

Kaun kehete hai bhagawan khatey nahin
Beera shabri ke jaise khilate nahin

who says God does not eat?
It's becos you don’t feed him like how Shabari fed Him(hence you think God does not eat)

Dear Mahakavi Ji

I don't know whether God eats and whether it's veg or non-veg diet.

But I sure know that Dr Renu has a Guru, who chews her brains.
Just wait till he gets back from hibernation [ read meditation ], she will get all
the relevant info you seek on God.

I too will eagerly wait for these 'revelations.

Yay Yem

Dear Mahakavi Ji

I don't know whether God eats and whether it's veg or non-veg diet.

But I sure know that Dr Renu has a Guru, who chews her brains.
Just wait till he gets back from hibernation [ read meditation ], she will get all
the relevant info you seek on God.

I too will eagerly wait for these 'revelations.

Yay Yem

Dear AM JI,

At least this question "Does God eat" is still not bad.
Once upon a time someone started a thread asking "Is Lord Shiva a Brahmin?":faint:

Dear AM ji,

I think we humans actually have NO IDEA about God becos God is beyond Words,Beyond Imagination and Beyond Comprehension.

So we have to Humanize God to make Him be able to fit into our intellect.

Best example is an Artist impression of a Divine Personality.
A South Indian artist will paint a Divine Personality looking like a South Indian.
A white man will paint Lord Krishna having more of Westernized features..(see ISKCON paintings)

A Chinese will make Lord Buddha look like a Chinese when in fact He was blue eyed and with a straight long nose.

So you see we really have to identify something with ourselves.

Hence the all the questions.

Oh Ho ! Dr Renu

The buck doesn't always have to stop with you. Great Poets always get great ideas and great doubts.
You have 'direct access' to an Ascended Master, why don't you let him clear any / all doubts of
Mahakvi Ji ?

Are you "J" that you will lose your position as 'Prime Student' of Guru Ji.

We all stand to gain from a Maha Kavi-Maha Guru exchange.

Please don't deny us this.

Yay Yem

Oh Ho ! Dr Renu

The buck doesn't always have to stop with you. Great Poets always get great ideas and great doubts.
You have 'direct access' to an Ascended Master, why don't you let him clear any / all doubts of
Mahakvi Ji ?

Are you "J" that you will lose your position as 'Prime Student' of Guru Ji.

We all stand to gain from a Maha Kavi-Maha Guru exchange.

Please don't deny us this.

Yay Yem

I know what you mean...next question from my online Mahaguru will be "How does God's cook look like?"

It purely depends upon where we find God. If we find God in 'Madhurai Muniyandi Vilas', God may quite possibly non-vegetarian. If we find God in 'Uduppi Krishna Bhavan', chances are God is vegetaruian! :)
( I couldn't help using the opportunity to write this! No hard feelings, please! ;) . i haven't read the blog yet though).

Cheers!

Hey BTW God does not SEE food as Veg or Non Veg.

To God, everything created is nothing but the 5 elements.

Remember the story where a Great Swamiji(Some say it was Adi Shankara) who was once offered meat and He ate it(but didn't allow his disciples to eat meat).
So one Shisya was not happy that the Swamiji ate meat and the rest of them could not.

Swamiji sensed that and asked the Shisya "Can you eat what I eat?"

Shisya said "yes sir" with anticipation that he is going to get meat to eat.

Then the Swamiji ate Molten Nails in front of the dumbstruck Shisya.

So you see that story goes to show that we can never equate ourselves with an advanced Soul.
So how can we even think "Is God Veg or Non Veg?"

Aren't we imposing Duality and the Pairs of Opposites on God?

Last edited:
1. There are those who find God in a statue and credit him with all auspicious qualities.

2. There are those who put just a stone block calling it Linga and finds a nirguna brahmam in it.

3. There are those who plant a stone and call it God and offer it the best they have-the freshly brewed Charayam or fully fermented tapped toddy.

4. Finally we have those who say "God has no form anthropomorphous or symbolic and if you give him a form we will kill you so that we can go to the seventh heaven and enjoy the virgins there provided as reward to us by the God".

5. Vedas say-yatha vaacho nivartante. Aprapya manasa saha.

I pray 'OMG! Help us God help us know'.-- Like I used to pray and sing in the Bandra Church in Mumbai "Help us Mary help we pray".

Last edited:
I am agnostic. That is why I am asking those questions. I am not making up those stories that I wrote about. The goat sacrifice by Abraham (after putting his son on the cutting block first), piLLaik kaRi offer by ciruttoNDar to a sivanaDiyar (shiva came in the guise of the aDiyAr), and the ancient animal sacrifice by Hindu priests are all in the religious texts.

For an agnostic person where the existence of God itself is in doubt, would it not be a mere speculation as to whether God is vegetarian or non-vegetarian?

Mahakavi ji,
You did not answer my question? You need to define God, before you can give God some attributes.

Generally the Hindu God os defined as The One (Brahman).
Most Hindus venerate one or more deities (see Is Hinduism Polytheistic?), but regard these as manifestations of Ultimate Reality. The Ultimate Reality that is behind the universe and all the gods is called by different names, but most commonly Brahman (not to be confused with the creator god Brahma or the priestly class of Brahmans).

In the Rig Veda, Ultimate Reality is referred to as "the One." In the Purushasukta, it is "Purusha," and in the Upanishads it is called "Brahman," "the One," and several other names. Most modern Hindus refer to the Ultimate Reality as Brahman.

The Upanishads describe Brahman as "the eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, spiritual source of the universe of finiteness and change." Brahman is the source of all things and is in all things; it is the Self (atman) of all living beings.

Brahman is impersonal Being in itself, but it can be known through the many gods and goddesses that are manifestations of Brahman. Each manifestation can have all the attributes of that specific manifestation.
So Ram can be Chatriya and may eat meat in Ramayan, and as Parasuram a Brahmin may be vegetarian.

Encyclopædia Britannica :
Brahman, in the Upanishads (Indian sacred writings), the supreme existence or absolute reality, the font of all things. The etymology of the word, which is derived from Sanskrit, is uncertain. Though a variety of views are expressed in the Upanishads, they concur in the definition of brahman as eternal, conscious, irreducible, infinite, omnipresent, spiritual source of the universe of finiteness and change. Marked differences in interpretation of brahman characterize the various subschools of Vedanta, the orthodox system of Hindu philosophy based on the writings of the Upanishads.

According to the Advaita (Nondualist) school of Vedanta, brahman is categorically different from anything phenomenal, and human perceptions of differentiation are illusively projected on this reality.

Last edited:
For an agnostic person where the existence of God itself is in doubt, would it not be a mere speculation as to whether God is vegetarian or non-vegetarian?

There is no speculation. Your comment indicates you did not read the article completely. I was pointing out what the religious texts were describing about what was being offered to God.

For your info: An agnostic is one who neither denies nor accepts God. So you can have either of those views, sometimes simultaneously, like I said before which is a characteristic of a passionate intellectual. QED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back