• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Significance of Madisaru ( 9 yard Saree)

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyyerram

We now wonder who the hell has introduced this tradition of wearing this much long saree, consuming half of the time to wear and also hard to maintain and restrictions in movement. In those days it was approved by all south Indian women, and nowadays nobody is interested to wear this. Only on the marriage day as per the costumes people are using 9 yards Saree.

The madisar is not just a garment or a style. "The madisar has both symbolic and practical meaning," says Seetha Anand, a young educator from Hyderabad, who says she "loves the look of the madisar - when worn well, it is so flattering". The nine yards of the sari function as the all-inclusive garment. It is worn without a petticoat or underskirt - unlike the normal six-yard sari - and, if wrapped properly, requires no other undergarment or upper garment (such as a blouse). "With one of the folds pulled through between the legs (and tucked into the back on the belt), the style fulfils the requirements of modesty and protection," says Anand.

The trouser-like style also made it easy to work and move around in. In fact, the tradition of a nine-yard sari was prevalent in many other Indian states like Maharashtra and Karnataka. History even mentions several women soldiers draped in a nine-yard sari going to war. Women like Jhansi's Queen Laxmibai fought enemy troops on horseback, wearing a nine-yard sari.

In South India, the nine-yard madisar also symbolizes the unity of the male and female principles of the universe. "The sari has pleats and the pallu (the upper decorative part of the saree), and the lower part looks like a dhoti," says Venkatraman 78, a homemaker from Chennai and an avid follower of religious traditions. "This is like the ardhanareeswara (half man and half woman)".

However, the sari is not an easy garment to wear. "It's good exercise every morning, because you have to bend, twist around, move your arms every which way...it is a good 10-minute workout! says Venkatraman.

I always wondered why no goddess is ever picture wearing a nine yard saree tied in Madisar way?

Most of the while..goddesses are not even clad in saree.

They are always clad in some celestial damsel costume.
Wonder what led to this artist impression?

apsara_or73.jpg

Dear Renu,

Please visit Madurai Meenakshi temple when you come to India.

( Though the overlapping layer is supposed to come from the left side of the person wearing the madisar!!)

Picture courtesy: Google images.

meenak6.gif

As per some spiritual sources

Panchkacham Dhothi and the Madisar Saree returns the energy revibrated to one own body thus the loss of energy is minimal. Secondly, it is said that it also controls the gorwth of flabs in and around naval portion thus pot belly is not grown if used regularly. And most importantly, the falling hair from body parts are protected thus not contaminating the surroundings. Wherein the regular saree (kosuvam) these benefits are not given.

I sometimes wonder if it all boils down as being practical cos a brahmin lady needs to assist her husband in his work and walking around,sitting down getting up is easier if the saree is tied in a pants like fashion.

Kshatriya woman needed to ride horses and fight..hence need to tie saree like a pants too.

Ever noticed that the fishing community in Maharashtra also ties the saree in a pants like fashion?
I guess its easier to fish when saree is tied this way.

As per some spiritual sources

1. Panchkacham Dhothi and the Madisar Saree returns the energy revibrated to one own body thus the loss of energy is minimal.

2. Secondly, it is said that it also controls the gorwth of flabs in and around naval portion thus pot belly is not grown if used regularly. .............
1. Since the dhoti and saree tied in these fashions do not touch the ground, the first point may be correct.

2. But the second point!! I have seen a lot of senior ladies with pot bellies in our family/ friend's circle who use

the madisAr regularly and also many temple poojAris (esp. Ganapthy temples) clad in panchakacham, who have

bigger pot bellies!!

I sometimes wonder if it all boils down as being practical cos a brahmin lady needs to assist her husband in his work and walking around,sitting down getting up is easier if the saree is tied in a pants like fashion.

Kshatriya woman needed to ride horses and fight..hence need to tie saree like a pants too.

Ever noticed that the fishing community in Maharashtra also ties the saree in a pants like fashion?
I guess its easier to fish when saree is tied this way.

Dear Doctor,

In olden days the Caste ridden society like ours the mode of wearing Saree varied according to the caste and the region the person belonged to. Even among non-brahmins we find regional changes in dressing according to the Caste was prevalent. Now the mode of wearing Saree among the Indian ladies has almost standardised to the present form. The present mode of wearing saree was originally adopted by Kamma Naidu Community in Andhra.
Best Wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

As the maami says in the video clipping, the sister-in-law will help the bride to wear the 'madisAr' saree.

Since she is new to the bride, and the saree can not be worn over a petticoat, usually the bride wears a 3/4 pijama. So shy!!

(I stitched one for myself for my wedding!!) Since the girl is a model, she chose to wear her jeans, I guess!

As the maami says in the video clipping, the sister-in-law will help the bride to wear the 'madisAr' saree.

Since she is new to the bride, and the saree can not be worn over a petticoat, usually the bride wears a 3/4 pijama. So shy!!

(I stitched one for myself for my wedding!!) Since the girl is a model, she chose to wear her jeans, I guess!

This type of inner dress were made for my daughters twenty years back
so as to avoid the typical situation.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear Bala Sir,

My wedding with Ram was in 1976!! :D

My father used to say that the sister in law is supposed to 'check' the girl for any kind of skin problem, by way of dressing her up,

even though some older mami will help to wear the 'madisar'!

By the way, why is the brother in law is NOT sent to dress up the groom - even though the sasthri mama helps the groom to wear

the 'panchakachcham' dhothi? Is it a kind of male domination??

Boys have been naked or half naked till adolescence. They have nothing to hide nor any thing to flaunt. All problems of ladies are caused by ladies only. Ladies are curious about other lady to get the better of her. Why panchakachcham is a kind of male domination? When you wear 9-yard you do panchakachcham also. See those days they had lot of time at disposal. Today people try to become one with nature. Save trees and plants, stop pollution, etc. etc. will help them achieve some goals. The days of "nirwana" are not far afar. Then will follow the enlightenment!

I did not mean to say that Panchakachcham is a kind of male domination! When the sister in law goes to 'check' the bride,

why not the brother in law also 'check' the groom? After all, in most of the cases, the groom is a total stranger to the bride's

family!

Namaskarams,
Raji Mami,

In most of the cases, the grooms are being dressed with Panchakancham on the dias itself. He needs no seperate room or enclosure. The panchakancham scene will be over within minutes. So whoever nearby can see the boy. Mostly the upper porltion of the groom is open only and the angavastram will be along the line of Poonal.

Anbudan
Adiyen.

Dear Bala Sir,

My wedding with Ram was in 1976!! :D

My father used to say that the sister in law is supposed to 'check' the girl for any kind of skin problem, by way of dressing her up,

even though some older mami will help to wear the 'madisar'!

By the way, why is the brother in law is NOT sent to dress up the groom - even though the sasthri mama helps the groom to wear

the 'panchakachcham' dhothi? Is it a kind of male domination??

It is not at all a male domination. The panchakachcham dhothi is worn to the Mappillai
by a third person Sastrigal, where brother in law can certainly be present. In fact, I
have helped my Mappillai in my daughter's wedding and my Sambandi was present and
talking to me and he had not raised any objection to it. As regards the girl is concerned,
what your father mentioned is absolutely correct. Some Sister-in-Laws may not know
how to wear a Madisar and they only watch how it is done in the presence of a elderly
woman of their family. I do not find anything wrong in this issue.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Great piece of information, such reasoning s are very important.

Let me see if I can convince my wife to wear it all the time ( she wears it only when we have a vishesham at home).

While we tell our wives to do the above, there must be reasoning from our end too.
We should too wear Panchankatcham daily and do Santhayavanthanam daily three times
including Brahma Yagnyam on specified days if possible.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

We men started breaking the tradition almost hundred years ago; women have started only three decades ago. It is difficult for all to go back.

I have seen a few late bloomer mamas switching to panchakatcham for daily rituals; but the mamis still stick to their new found freedom in dress and style.

In this modern age the burden of reviving and saving the tradition has to fall on men.

While we tell our wives to do the above, there must be reasoning from our end too.
We should too wear Panchankatcham daily and do Santhayavanthanam daily three times
including Brahma Yagnyam on specified days if possible.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Must we lament all the changes in society? I too miss some old tradition, but if people are adopting new mores, so be it. Since when men can successfully make a custom without the tacit support of women? At least my wife did not say I can make that statement, LOL.

Significance of Madisaru

Those days, people attached significance to 9 yards Saree for wearing Madisaru.
Now a days, it is not a problem. Why to take pain in learning it in going through
around 9 to 10 steps how to do it. It had mainly been introduced those days
perhaps from the point of protection to ladies too, as they had not had petticoat,
etc. in ancient days. In fact, now one can get it ready made or stitched or made
to order in leading textiles shops in Chennai. It is very easy to wear.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Panchakachcham for 16-year-old boys and madisaaru for 8-11 year old girls. Should have been torture for them. Dresses were then fashion and they are fashion too. What is the use of panchakachcham and madisaaru without engaging oneself in dharma karyanga. From 10 years hence maybe we may have to beg Westerners to teach us these techniques draining out our foreign exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back