• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gayatri

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRN

For decades I have been chanting it the way I learnt in childhood.
"TatsaviturvarEy-nyambhargo" and "dhiyo yo nah"

Here's an audio similar to how I chant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_D1qGcxYxM

But of late I tend to hear various other versions played in shops etc.

Even a recital by Sri Sathya Sai Baba in which he pronounces it this way:
"Tat Savitur VarenyaMM Bhargo" and then "Dheeeyo yo nah"

When there are multiple versions in this way, it can be confusing.
I believe that the majority of the brahmins here belong to Yajurveda shakhas. Would like to know if there is a general concurrence with the way I am chanting (the first one above)

Regards
KRN

Last edited:
Hi KRN,
First of all, don't confuse with the different versions of recitals that is available in the market. In my opinion, pls contact a temple priest or acharya, and ask him to teach you the gayathri mantra with correct sruti.

As per the the book "Sandhyavandhana manthratha deepika" wriiten by kanda raja deekshithar

When we give argya the gayathri mantra is of gayathri chandhas which has 24 letters
"Om Bhur Bhuvah Svahah
Tatsa Vithur Vareniyam
Bhargho Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yo nah Prachothayath"

But when we do gayathri mantra japa it is of nichrut gayathri chandhas which is of 23 letters
"Om Bhur bhuvah svahah
Tatsa Vithur Varenyam
Bhargho Devasya Dheemahi
Dhiyo Yo nah Prachothayath"
(Sorry for writing this mantra in english. I don't have any software to write the mantras in devnagari)
I will try to take the scan of those mantras and will post it to you.

please ask your guru(temple priest or acharya) to teach you this mantra with correct sruti.
Let me tell you one thing by chanting gayathri mantra will give ultimate self-realisation within short period of time.

Thanks
C.R.Bala
Om Namah Shivayah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back