• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Best food when under the weather! RASAM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BostonSankara

When it is cold outside or I do not feel well there is only one food I want to eat and I want to eat A LOT OF IT!) It's that old stand-by staple of Tamil kitchens across the world....

RASAM! Now there are probably as many ways to make rasam as there are cooks who make it but I thought I would share the recipe I like most when I am under the weather. it's simple and easy and most of all restorative and delicious!

10 pepercorns
2 dried chilies (or more!)
1 tomato diced
1 tbsp ghee
4 cups water
2 tsp jeera
3 crushed cloves of garlic (can be skipped maybe some hing added to tempered mustard seeds instead)
8 curry pata
tamarind paste to taste

In 2 cups of water add chilies, garlic, tamarind and a few curry patta. Grind jeera and pepper into broth (could be dry roasted first if you feel up for it). Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Heat ghee in pan and once hot add mustard seeds until the splutter, add in dried chilli, hing if ya got it, and curry leaves. Once fragrant add to broth. Cook until tomato is soft and add water if needed.

It's good stuff!

I also like rasam verymuch which is simple and tasty. Generally suits in rainy season and when we have fever or cold.

Jeera milagu rasam is very tasty. one variant you may want to consider is to replace tamarind paste with lemon juice.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back