• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Red October

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lotus_quartz

Recently finished reading Tom Clancy's 'the Hunt for Red October' and yesterday watched the movie on DVD. Absolutely superb! Sean Connery has excelled himself as Capt. of Soviet Submarine. A must watch!

BTW, 4-in-1, 5-in-1 DVDs are available all over Chn, including in pavement shops.

Region free DVD players

Can one get region-free DVD players in Chennai? Those that will play NTSC North American (Region-1) DVDs? How much would they cost? Also, what is the quality like of DVDs available in Chennai? Are most of them scratchy and pirated? I bought a couple of Indian VCDs when I was in Chennai last, and the quality was absolutely horrible compared to DVDs.

All leading brands of DVD players (Sony,Samsung,Philips,LG) are available freely in all showrooms. Whether they are region-free or not I do not know. Possibly, one could set up the region in the CMOS of the device.

I have been able to play all types of DVDs,VCDs and MP3s in my Philips player.

Chennai has come a long way in so far as quality of DVDs are concerned. The pavement shops also give good quality prints, no problems so far. Try to avoid purchase of latest releases, as they are likely to be 'hall prints' meaning, bad quality of audio and hazy video.

Can one get region-free DVD players in Chennai? Those that will play NTSC North American (Region-1) DVDs? How much would they cost? Also, what is the quality like of DVDs available in Chennai? Are most of them scratchy and pirated? I bought a couple of Indian VCDs when I was in Chennai last, and the quality was absolutely horrible compared to DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ritchie street, China Bazaar

I bought a Region free DVD player in Viveks. It plays anything. I did not try inserting a Rs1 coin to see if that plays too. But overall the quality of the DVD player is excellent. It is marketed that it has special circuits to prevent the laser pickup from getting screwed when there is a scratch. So basically what it does is, it plays DVDs from Region 1, 2 region free and all DVDs bought from China bazaar, VCDs, MP3s, Photo CDs, 5in1 or 6in1 DVDs.

You can get similar ones in Ritchie street or China bazaar, but you have to bargain very hard. There is no guarantee or anything like that. Incase of carrying it to the US, you may have to buy a converter with a suitable wattage.

I am not sure if the branded ones are region free or not. May be things might have changed and someone bought recently can correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back