• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bangalore - a century of tales from city & cantonment by Peter Colaco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

Recently I finished reading a wonderful book "Bangalore - a Century of tales from City & cantonment" by Peter Colaco. The author who is born and bred-up in Bangalore, belongs to an illustrious Konkani speaking Roman Catholic family of Mangaloreans settled down in Bangalore. He reminiscences the life around him in all its glory during 50 years from his personal experiences in entertaining anecdotes. Paul Fernandez has illustrated the book with his witty sketches.

Here is a humorous piece from the book centering around the big families of his time.

"Family legends abound. When the tally has reached 17, Grandpa 'P.G.' was
working in the MGID building next to the high court. It was a pleasant stroll across the Cubbon park, so he walked home for lunch. Those were the days.

He was always a bit preoccupied with affairs of the state, but not blind to the world about him. One day he saw a little boy, crying in the park. Grandpa resorted to his solution for most problems. He took the boy home to his wife, to be fed, consoled and sent back to his parents, whoever they might be. 'Rose' , he said, 'I found this boy crying in the park.'

'Little boy ? Lost in the Park?' said Grandmother with some asperity. 'Don't you know your own son Alphy?', number 13. Alphy, says the story is a myth. But, even if it was true, it was not inconceivable for grandpa to mix children up. The house was always full of children, theirs and other peoples.Their home was always open to 'adopted' children; adopted because they were partially or wholly orphaned."

I am sure old Bangalorians will enjoy reading this book.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
brahmanyan,

i grew up among anglo indians, and have always found them generous and gregarious to the core.

it is heartwarming to read an affectionate review of a book about anglo indians. good for you sir!

it is sort of sad, that post independence, the anglo indians, have been looked upon as chelas of their british masters, and subject to treatments, that i have witnessed, and ashamed.

all my teachers upto high school, were anglo indians, and if i am what i am, i would, without hesitation, give the credit to my AI teachers.

it is sort of heartening, that in the recent tamil movie, aadu kalam, the heroine role is that of a madurai domiciled anglo indian - a character and her family, treated not only with respect, but with the sensitivity, that these are just like us. humans.

best wishes.

Bangalore

Dear Sri Kunjuppu,

Yes, Anglo Indians are lovable lot. While I was working in Muscat my colleague the shop manager was an East Indian (Anglo Indians of Bombay). Very generous and affectionate person. Even with a fat salary he was living on next month's pay. His week end parties and purchases consumed all his earnings. It is sad, that the number of Anglo Indians is slowly dwindling due to inbreeding.
But the book I have reviewed is written by a Mangalorean. He belongs to the third generation of Rajkaryapraveena P.G.D'Souza's clan.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

But the book I have reviewed is written by a Mangalorean. He belongs to the third generation of Rajkaryapraveena P.G.D'Souza's clan.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

having subscribed already to review on that book, i cant wait to pick it up from the nearest book store, possibly landmark on residency road.thank you for tempting me.

btw, Rajkaryapraveena or some one else, the mangi's (colloq term for mangalorians including goans) are on par with what sh.,kunjuppu said about anglos.., except replacing the term with brahmin-portuguese goan origin..

having subscribed already to review on that book, i cant wait to pick it up from the nearest book store, possibly landmark on residency road.thank you for tempting me.

btw, Rajkaryapraveena or some one else, the mangi's (colloq term for mangalorians including goans) are on par with what sh.,kunjuppu said about anglos.., except replacing the term with brahmin-portuguese goan origin..

Dear Sri Shiv,

I got the book for reading from "Justbooks" library. I think you can get the copy at Landmark if you desire to own a copy. Rajakaryapraveena was the title bestowed on Mr Peter George D'souza, member of Maharaja of Mysore's Council, by the Maharaja for his services to the State.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back