• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Chanting slokas,mantras etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regularly do Sandhya Vandhanam,Chant Slokas. But many a time I am not sure of pronunciation.I also observed that the wordings of many Slokas/Mantras differ between various books.Hence,I am confused whether to continue with improper pronunciation or is it considered a Sin. I would be happy to receive clarification from knowledgeable member.

You must have one guru for reciting manthras. you must follow that guru's words to chant manthras. about slokams you have to read from sankrit or malayalam book. even the pronounciation is wrong in chanting slokams your interst sraddhai and bhakthi is the first important one.

You are putting one step towards god and god will put ten steps towards and it is god's responsibility to correct you . he will send somebody to correct them . only your sincereity is important.

I want to know about the worship of Navagraha. My doubts are:

1. Can one chant Navagraha sthothram every day at home?
2. Can one also chant Navagraha Gayathri every day at home?
3. If yes, when should it be chanted? – at the beginning of daily prayer, at the end or even in between other slokas?

I request our members to clarify..

I need Siva Kavacham and would appreciate help from members.

2. Can one also chant Navagraha Gayathri every day at home?
3. If yes, when should it be chanted? – at the beginning of daily prayer, at the end or even in between other slokas?

I request our members to clarify..

I need Siva Kavacham and would appreciate help from members.

check out this site:

http://stotraratna.awardspace.com/stotra/Shiva/sh52.pdf

BTW I also have a similar question..is it Ok to recite Surya Gayatri/Surya Ashtakam at night cos once I was singing at night and my brother told me the sun has set so why are you singing it.

I was wondering that the sun actually never sets or rises..its the earth that moves around it but I really would like to know is it Ok to recite at night?
I do recite in mornings too.

Yes. It is in fact recommended.

[Can one also chant Navagraha Gayathri every day at home?

Yes.

Generally at the end of pooja etc. Navagraha namaskarams generally follow surya namaskara mantra (aruna praSnam) or the abbreviated surya worship in the form of recitation of aditya hrudayam. Maadhyanikam and brhma yagyam follow the surya namaskaram which effectively concludes the morning prayer session.

Disclaimer: I have furnished the reply to the best of my limited knowledge and observation. But it is no guarantee that my information is fool-proof

check out this site:

BTW I also have a similar question..is it Ok to recite Surya Gayatri/Surya Ashtakam at night cos once I was singing at night and my brother told me the sun has set so why are you singing it.

I was wondering that the sun actually never sets or rises..its the earth that moves around it but I really would like to know is it Ok to recite at night?

Prayers to Surya are generally addressed during day time only.... that is from sun rise to sun set.

Although the sun never rises or sets in reality, the sun rise and sun set is equally real as perception to our eyes. As prayers are addressed to perceived deities and as sun is depicted as "pratyaksha devata" of perceived deities (or Brhman, if you feel so), sun is prayed to when he is "pratyaksham"

Disclaimer: My knowledge is extremely limited and may not be representing scriptural truths, and may please be disregarded if more valid explanation is expounded.

According to scriptures (not modern astronomy) the sun sets because asuras called "mandEhaas" continuously attack the sun from shining on this world all the time. Hence these mandEhaas drag the sun down from his noon position and finally he gets defeated and sets, making room for those asuras (mandEaas) and many other other-worldly creatures (which are described in "piSitaaSana Sata bahuLa piSaacikaL = raw human flesh eating hundreds of many piSaacas") to take over and roam about in the darkness of the night. Hence, chanting any navagraha sloka/gaayatri/mantra after sunset is definitely a great sin.

any gaayatri will be effective only if chanted with all the angas (poorvaanga and uttaraanga). Poorvaanga will include nyaasam, dhyaanam, aavaahanam etc., while uttaaangam will comprise puraScaraNam and such things. Simply getting hold of some gayatri and reciting it is like a dog playing with the unhusked coconut - time pass! The best time to chant navagraha mantras is ushas - time before sunrise but after aruNOdayam.

Sarma Sir
Pls explain the angas- poorvaanga, uttaraanga etc. I am unable to understand these terms
Hope this helps - Bathing & Dressing - ISKCON Desire Tree - Devotee Network

Alternatively, please approch ISKCON.

Afaik, they are the best institution which teaches scriptures to all, irrespective of caste, creed, etc. To me, they represent ancient Krishnaism as it originally existed, that is, before it got usurped/absorbed into brahmanical orthodoxy wrt varnas/caste (the latter in the name of Krishna Himself).

check out this site:

The same person, Mr P.R. Ramachandar, (is from Bangaluru) whom you have cited, has
translated many Slokas/Stotras beautifully with the meaning. It is a very good collection.
You please visit the Vedanta Spiritual Library. You will get many more and you can have it.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I regularly do Sandhya Vandhanam,Chant Slokas. But many a time I am not sure of pronunciation.I also observed that the wordings of many Slokas/Mantras differ between various books.Hence,I am confused whether to continue with improper pronunciation or is it considered a Sin. I would be happy to receive clarification from knowledgeable member.

I agree. Most of us are not good with Sanskrit and yet want to chant slokas which are in Sanskrit. I chant the following sloka at the end of my prayer.

यदक्षरपदभ्रष्टं माथ्राहीनं तु यद्भवेद
तत्सर्वं क्षम्यतां देव नारायण नमोस्तु ते

विसर्गबिन्दुमाथ्राणि पदपादाक्षराणि
न्यूनानि चातिरिक्तानि क्षमस्व पुरुषोत्तम

Meaning:

Lord Purushotthama, forgive the short pronunciations or excess pronunciations of aspirants, bindus, syllables, words, quarters or letters, committed by me during the chanting of the stotra.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by swamiinathan

I regularly do Sandhya Vandhanam,Chant Slokas. But many a time I am not sure of pronunciation.I also observed that the wordings of many Slokas/Mantras differ between various books.Hence,I am confused whether to continue with improperpronunciation or is it considered a Sin. I would be happy to receive clarification from knowledgeable member.

Bhakti overides Vibhakti so I guess we do not have to worry too much(I am no expert but just giving my opinion).

Not many of us are like King Kulashekara who could praise God with Bhakti and Vibhakti both in his classic masterpiece Mukunda Mala Stotra..check out this stanza..it has all the different case endings from Nominative to Vocative.

[SIZE=+1]krishno rakshatu no jagat-traya-guruh krishnam namadhvam sada[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]krishnenakhila-satravo vinihatah krishnaya tasmai namah[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]krishnad eva samutthitam jagad idam krishnasya daso 'smy aham[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]krishne tishthati visvam etad akhilam he krishna rakshasva mam

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Translation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]May Krishna, the spiritual master of the three worlds, protect us. Continually bow down to Krishna. Krishna has killed all our enemies. Obeisances to Krishna. From Krishna alone this world has come into being. I am the servant of Krishna. This entire universe rests within Krishna. O Krishna, please protect me![/SIZE]

Chanting slokas, mantras etc

I agree. Most of us are not good with Sanskrit and yet want to chant slokas which are in Sanskrit. I chant the following sloka at the end of my prayer.

यदक्षरपदभ्रष्टंमाथ्राहीनंतुयद्भवेद
तत्सर्वंक्षम्यतांदेवनारायणनमोस्तुते

विसर्गबिन्दुमाथ्राणिपदपादाक्षराणि
न्यूनानिचातिरिक्तानिक्षमस्वपुरुषोत्तम

Meaning:

Lord Purushotthama, forgive the short pronunciations or excess pronunciations of aspirants, bindus, syllables, words, quarters or letters, committed by me during the chanting of the stotra.

You are absolutely doing a correct doing. By repeated practice one can master a things; still
if you require either through MP3 or cassette you can follow it and get yourself corrected, if
there is any doubt in you.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

I too have heard that the Sun Gayathri is never chanted at night; the rule also says
that this Gayathri should not be chanted after sun set. The sun gives an illumination
to the world, this prayer for light is naturally addressed to the source of light, which in
the material world, is the Sun.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

hello ,the post no 10 ,by happy hindu ,its simply superb ,easy ,& one can understand the procedures &imply it .thank u for your thoughtful post ,i hope its very useful (the pictures are very simple &cute)

The world in which we live is known as Karma Bhoomi. Vedas and Sastras
mention it clearly in this regard. Therefore every one should do the Karmas
without fail. In the Bhagavad Geetha, it is mentioned as

Shibram hi Manushe Loge
Siddhir Bavathi karmaja

One who does Karma properly in this Loga gets the true result than in other Logas.
Karmas are defined as Nithyam, Neimithigam and Kamyam.

One who fails to do it - is known as Nithya Karma and he begets the sin.
Nithya Karma includes Sandhya Vandhanam, Brahma Yagnyam, Owpasanam, Deva Puja,
Upakarmam, etc.

Something to be done at a particular time in a specified day i.e. known as Neimithigam.
For e.g. Grahana tharpanam (Eclipses tharpanam), Beginning or commencement of the
Tamil Month and Prayachitham related Karmas

The third one is Karma related to acquiring wealth, issue (son or daughter), rain,
Chatru Jayam, Swargam etc. - i.e. these are known as Kamya Karma.

If a person does not perform Sandhya Vandhanam, he is unfit to do other
things, that is what, the Puranas state.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back