• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Contract Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lotus_quartz

Those who wish to learn and play Bridge (the most challenging brain game) may become member of www.zone.msn.com or www.pogo.com.

These are popular bridge sites where interested persons from all over the world can play and learn online. Membership is absolutely free and quality of players is very high. Players can join various sub groups like novices, advanced, experts, world class etc.

I play fairly regularly and have been able to imporve my game considerably.

Another good site is www.acbl.com (Americal Contract Bridge League). Here, membership is not free, they ask for big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, Not suitable for $-shy guys.

In Chennai, I found out that CDBA (Chennai District Bridge Association) holds weekly pairs tournament in T-Nagar Social Club on Tuesdays in the eve. Entry fee is minor, about 60/- only.

God only knows why they keep it on Tuesdays. Would be great if it were held on Fri/Sat evenings.

Needless to point out, but Bridge as a game is ideally suited for Tambrams who consider themselves to be blessed with the finest brains created by God !

Hmm. I think on the contrary, may be Tambrams are not ideally suited. Bridge is game that needs people to work closely as a team and needs team spirit which unfortunately many of our community members seem to lack.

Generally, Tambrams are good at games in which individuals can shine like Chess or Cricket. Tambrams can be seldom found in team games like hockey or soccer etc.

I might be wrong though :))

Ramki

Needless to point out, but Bridge as a game is ideally suited for Tambrams who consider themselves to be blessed with the finest brains created by God !

Last edited:
Team Spirit

It is quite true that Tambrams excel as individuals. However, there is no evidence to suggest that they can not be good team members.

Bridge is a team game of two partners. IN US, husband-wife teams are quite common. The famous pair of Ely & Josephine Culbertsons is an example.

You think Tambrams can not pull together as a husband-wife team of two ?

Hmm. I think on the contrary, may be Tambrams are not ideally suited. Bridge is game that needs people to work closely as a team and needs team spirit which unfortunately many of our community members seem to lack.

Generally, Tambrams are good at games in which individuals can shine like Chess or Cricket. Tambrams can be seldom found in team games like hockey or soccer etc.

I might be wrong though :))

Ramki

Some good books on Contract Bridge are by:

1. Edgar Kaplan and Fred L Karpin
2. Josephine & Ely Culbertson
3. Victor Mollo & Nico Gardner

PS:- Life in agraharams could be great fun if all tambrams played bridge!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some basic gyan please....

PS:- Life in agraharams could be great fun if all tambrams played bridge!

These are times of Ramaar Bridge, so, LQ, for the benefit of those who may be interested, can you give a brief note on what is bridge ?

All i know is that :

a) 4 players
b) One is a dealer ?
c) North/South, East/West as pairs ?
d) Positions - Vulnerable etc...
e) Played with cards

Just what else is bridge ?

I need a basic intro before i make an attempt to read those books.

Also warn me if one needs too much between the ears to play this.

Muft mein bridge sikhega balak? Kuch guru dakshina dena hoga!

These are times of Ramaar Bridge, so, LQ, for the benefit of those who may be interested, can you give a brief note on what is bridge ?

All i know is that :

a) 4 players
b) One is a dealer ?
c) North/South, East/West as pairs ?
d) Positions - Vulnerable etc...
e) Played with cards

Just what else is bridge ?

I need a basic intro before i make an attempt to read those books.

Also warn me if one needs too much between the ears to play this.

Dharma ka paalan karo

Muft mein bridge sikhega balak? Kuch guru dakshina dena hoga!

Acharya LQ Dev,

KRS Ji ke vachan padne ke baad bhi aisa sawal ?

Brahman ka yeh kartavya hota hai ki voh bina kisi dakshina sab ko gyan baante.

Aur aap ?

Aapse ye umeed nahin tha humein.

Mein socha tha ki aap hamare dronacharya honge aur mein honga aapkaa aagnyakari eklavya. Mein tho hoon angoota chaap isliye mujse mera angoota math maangiyega.

Aur rahi dakshina ki baath,

Jab kabhi aap hamari nagri aayenge, tho aapke khathir mein hum sombaan aur 'paruppu usli' pesh karenge !!!!!

Chaliye isi baat par hum app ko muft mein bhi sikhaenge aur do peg scotch bhi pilaenge (Hey panditon ! In paapiyon ko kshama karo aur unki baaton ko nazar andaaz karo !).

Acharya LQ Dev,

KRS Ji ke vachan padne ke baad bhi aisa sawal ?

Brahman ka yeh kartavya hota hai ki voh bina kisi dakshina sab ko gyan baante.

Aur aap ?

Aapse ye umeed nahin tha humein.

Mein socha tha ki aap hamare dronacharya honge aur mein honga aapkaa aagnyakari eklavya. Mein tho hoon angoota chaap isliye mujse mera angoota math maangiyega.

Aur rahi dakshina ki baath,

Jab kabhi aap hamari nagri aayenge, tho aapke khathir mein hum sombaan aur 'paruppu usli' pesh karenge !!!!!

Hari,

I sent some bridge software to your office email id but it got bounced back : out of office till 08-04-07.

Seems you are on holidays.

Apni zindagi ki gaadi ke liye doosra pahiya dhoond rahen hai kya?

DIAMONDL.GIF
THE WORLD'S GREATEST GAME

Bridge is a truly wonderful game, played by tens of millions, with many potential rewards. Bridge can teach you so many important things - it has elements of logic, partnership cooperation, discipline, psychology, mathematics and ethics.

Bridge is a game without barriers. People of all ages, races, nationalities and levels of skill enjoy the excitement of the world's greatest game. Bridge not only stimulates the brain and provides the joy of competition, but it is also an ideal setting for socializing with interesting people and making new friends.

From Classic Bridge Quotes by Jared Johnson

"No matter where I go, I can always make new friends at the bridge table."
- Martina Navratilova

"Bridge is the most entertaining and intelligent card game the wit of man has so far devised."
- Somerset Maugham

"Playing bridge reflects intelligence. It's one of the really great pleasures of life. I think anybody who's missing bridge is missing so much in life. Don't make the mistake of missing out on the fun of bridge."
- Malcolm Forbes

BBLOGO.GIF
Return to Home Page

CLUBLG.GIF
BRIDGE HISTORY AND FACTS

Bridge can be traced back to the early 16th century when a game called Whist was played in England. Through the centuries, Whist evolved and grew steadily in popularity. Early in the 1890's, bridge appeared on the American scene at about the same time it was introduced in England. The game underwent many changes until Harold S. Vanderbilt perfected a new form of bridge in 1925. It incorporated many of the most popular principles and also produced a scoring table. He succeeded so well that his game of "Contract Bridge" became the staple diet of card players everywhere.

The word "bridge" comes from Russian Whist, called "biritch," meaning announcer or herald. Bridge players announce their contract bids.

1742 - The first book devoted to Whist appeared, Edmond Hoyle's Short Treatise, which became a best seller.

1857 - The first game of duplicate Whist was played in London; this eliminated much of he luck involved in which card each player was dealt. It was the forerunner of modern duplicate bridge.

1903 - British civil servants in remote India developed the practice of bidding for the privilege of calling the trump suit, thus introducing "auction bridge."

1925 - Harold S. Vanderbilt, American multi-millionaire and three-time America's Cup winner, changed the course of bridge while on a cruise. He suggested that only tricks bid and made count toward game, with extra tricks counted as bonuses. These revised rules turned auction bridge into contract bridge.

1931 - The Culbertson Summary and Culbertson's Blue Book topped all book sales for the year, outselling such popular titles as Believe It or Not and Crossword Puzzles! "The Battle of the Century" was held in New York City. The team captained by Ely Culbertson won by 8980 points.

1953 - President Eisenhower played bridge regularly on Saturday night with top experts. He attended national bridge tournaments when possible. He enjoyed bridge as much as golf and he was considered an excellent player.

1958 - Charles Goren appeared on the cover of Time magazine and was dubbed "The King of Aces." The inside story explained the basic rules of bridge and proclaimed it the "United States' No. 1 card game."

1990's - There are millions of bridge players in the United States; most play at home and there are also more than 1000 American tournaments annually and 4200 American bridge clubs.

BBLOGO.GIF
Return to Home Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back