• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to get rid of bad drishti.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
For removing drishti (evil eye) buy one stainless steel vessel with lid. pour gingilly oil in it or (ghee) see in the oil your face and all the members of your family may see their face in the oil. Then the oil with the vessal must be gifted to a brahmin along with dakshinai. Then see your faces in the mirror, after the brahmin left your house. do not see that brahmin going from your house.

Worshipping GANAPATHY (vinayagar)daily will get rid of all drishti.If possible and you can please do daily pooja to a vinayagar photo(padam)in the morning.Ie. do chant ganesha prayers do pooja with arugampilland finish with naivethyam for forty eight days.Start on a chadurthy day.on the last day feed a brahmin and give him ample dhakshinai.My humble advice do not use a statue ,for which lot of acharam is required. LET GANAPATHI WADE OFF ALL YOUR SUFFERINGS.

shilparav,

This "drishti" is something which can easily transform into a OCD. My neighbour woman is one such and on almost all days I see her doing the திருஷ்டி சுத்திப் போடறது. It happens because she probably feels any little good coming to anyone in the family, (including their pet dog) is a potential cause of திருஷ்டி தோஷம் (DD) originating as a consequence thereof!

The methods adopted by her which are common knowledge to many including tabras, are:—

1. Take a few மிளகாய் வத்தல் (the dried red chillies used for cooking, not the pickled & dried item). The quantity will vary in direct proportion to the severity of the திருஷ்டி as assessed by you :). Holding it in your right palm and without speaking anything to anyone (மௌனம், and this is extremely important, mind you) move your right palm 3, 5, or 7 times - again according to severity - over the head of the person who you feel is afflicted by DD. (தலையை சுத்தி ’உழியறது’ என்று சொல்லுவார்கள்.) Continuing 'mounam' put (or rather throw) the chillies into கனல் either in fuelwood stove or coal stove (கரியடுப்பு). If both are not available, light a small fire with thick newspaper sheets, cardboard pieces, corrugated paper, etc., and throw the chillies into that fire. The chillies should go straight from your right palm into the fire.

Since the burning red chillies will create a very pungent gas, protect your own people from it.

2. Take cooking salt, preferably the கல்லுப்பு which we used to buy for cooking, before the powdered salt invaded the markets. Otherwise this powdered salt is enough. Take as much as you think is needed in you right palm - in direct proportion to the severity of the திருஷ்டி, as in the chilli treatment, observe mounam, make 3,5 or7 rounds around the head and dissolve the salt in a large enough vessel of water. You should ideally throw the salt water into a well but if well is not there you can pour it into your kitchen sink but not the closet, mind it.

3. The camphor treatment. Other conditions are same. Here you take camphor which is not made into tablets; this is available in India as கட்டிச்சூடம் or கட்டிக்கற்பூரம். This is burned, ideally outside your residence, just in front of the entrance to your flat, home etc. Also do this last thing in the night, before retiring to bed. This condition is not applicable to chillies or salt but those two should be done only in the early morning or evening (sandhya time).

If the entire family is afflicted - avvording to your expert eyes - then each one will have to be treated separately, no batch processing. You can do this for yourself (automatically, as someone wisecracked!) or if there is someone elder to you, preferably woman.

P.S.

I was told that for better effectiveness of the remedies, people chant in their minds the words "காளீ கூளீ காமாரீ, கண்பட்டவரை குருடாக்கு", but I cannot vouchsafe for the truth about this since no one comes forward to divulge the mantram/s they recite, of course silently. Another, milder version of the mantra is reportedly, "திருஷ்டி தோஷம் தீர, கண்ணால் வந்த கஷ்டம் தீர".

1. Take a few மிளகாய் வத்தல் (the dried red chillies used for cooking, not the pickled & dried item). The quantity will vary in direct proportion to the severity of the திருஷ்டி as assessed by you :). Holding it in your right palm and without speaking anything to anyone (மௌனம், and this is extremely important, mind you) move your right palm 3, 5, or 7 times - again according to severity - over the head of the person who you feel is afflicted by DD. (தலையை சுத்தி ’உழியறது’ என்று சொல்லுவார்கள்.) Continuing 'mounam' put (or rather throw) the chillies into கனல் either in fuelwood stove or coal stove (கரியடுப்பு). If both are not available, light a small fire with thick newspaper sheets, cardboard pieces, corrugated paper, etc., and throw the chillies into that fire. The chillies should go straight from your right palm into the fire.

Since the burning red chillies will create a very pungent gas, protect your own people from it.

2. Take cooking salt, preferably the கல்லுப்பு which we used to buy for cooking, before the powdered salt invaded the markets. Otherwise this powdered salt is enough. Take as much as you think is needed in you right palm - in direct proportion to the severity of the திருஷ்டி, as in the chilli treatment, observe mounam, make 3,5 or7 rounds around the head and dissolve the salt in a large enough vessel of water. You should ideally throw the salt water into a well but if well is not there you can pour it into your kitchen sink but not the closet, mind it.

3. The camphor treatment. Other conditions are same. Here you take camphor which is not made into tablets; this is available in India as கட்டிச்சூடம் or கட்டிக்கற்பூரம். This is burned, ideally outside your residence, just in front of the entrance to your flat, home etc. Also do this last thing in the night, before retiring to bed. This condition is not applicable to chillies or salt but those two should be done only in the early morning or evening (sandhya time).

If the entire family is afflicted - avvording to your expert eyes - then each one will have to be treated separately, no batch processing. You can do this for yourself (automatically, as someone wisecracked!) or if there is someone elder to you, preferably woman.

A few details left out by Sangom are:

1. Only an elder person can do the chutrippoduthal for a younger person and not the vice versa.

2. Immediately after the chutrippoduthal process is over the affected person whose drishti has been removed by this process should move from his seat and sit in another seat. He should not continue to sit in the old seat after the process.

3. In some places the reeds in the broom stick is used in place of chilly. The lighted reeds are used the process of movement, mounam etc being the same. After tahe process is over the reeds are kept in a corner so that they burn completely and become ashes.

My two paise.

Cheers

shilpa,

i will go along with sangom recommendation.

mrs K every once in a while, when the children were home, and for some unexplicable reason had trouble with life, school or friends, or if there was a sense of unhappiness in the family, or if someone made some gushing remark at us, quickly in the privacy of home, she would rush, and with a handful of dried red chilliies, perform the same motions as sangom suggested. except in our case we flush it down the toilet, for not having a fire in the house, bar the gas aduppu.

a little over a year ago, i bought a honda fit, a very ergonomic and well designed car for myself. starting from the beginning i had bad omens all over - the salesman, not only was extremely rude, but also got angry (!) with me for asking some questions. the only reason ended up buying, was that the owner of the agency was a friend of my son, and gave us a discounted price, which we felt obliged to accept.

throughout the year, there were little things bad happening to me. also, i could not get a joy out of riding the car. i am one, who usually enjoys driving and keep my car till it breaks down beyond repair. one day i had enough of seeing this honda fit, went to a hyundai dealership, and traded it for a brand new hyundai, from a pleasant gujju salesman, with whom i had dealt before. :)

now i have got back the joy of driving. what i am trying to say here, is, is there any recently purchased object in your house, since whose arrival, all bad things have been happening? if so, it might just be easy to get rid of it.

best wishes, and pray your circle of unhappiness breaks soon.

I have sympathy for the person suffering, but can't understand even K and Sangom sir encouraging behavior they will not suffer for a moment. One may want to chastise me with "whats your problem with some harmless hammer putting" but this is offering support to lunacy.

Cheers!

I would like to know of some prayers, rituals or mantrams to get rid of bad drishthi on me and my family.
Please help me with this.

There is no Drishti or any such thing.
You cannot get rid of anything that you do not have.

What is needed is calm and peace of mind that can help you deal with the issues.

You may want to start a practices of daily meditation that will help calm your mind and allow you to face reality.

All the best

I have sympathy for the person suffering, but can't understand even K and Sangom sir encouraging behavior they will not suffer for a moment. One may want to chastise me with "whats your problem with some harmless hammer putting" but this is offering support to lunacy.

Cheers!

dear nara,

unlike yourself, i am a believer. as part of my faith, there are certain attributions to the 'mystery of the faith'.

drishti suthi poduthal is a normal activity in our home. i was only elucidating it.ok?

no offense meant to the atheists and agnostics, many of with whom, i find naturally aligned many a times here. :)

...no offense meant to the atheists and agnostics,...
No offense to the free and rational thinkers, it is a problem of the believers. BTW, even when I was under the grip of delusion I never found a connection with this "hammer putting" :). My MIL always insists on it and I just have to stand there with a straight face, i.e. this is still a part of my household as well. My son, DIL, and daughter are subjected to this lunacy by my wife and if I dare even a smirk the collective weight of them all will come down upon me like a load of 16 tons.

Cheers!

Cheers!

I felt exactly same way, but did not have the courage to say it. Now that a respected member has raised his voice, I would like to chip in too. These are the type of stupidity we need to stop. In this modern day and age, by people claiming to be intelligent, we are supposed to, lead the way for misguided individuals.
I am sorry I am disappointed that senior members are supporting these kind of idiocies.

I felt exactly same way, but did not have the courage to say it. Now that a respected member has raised his voice, I would like to chip in too. These are the type of stupidity we need to stop. In this modern day and age, by people claiming to be intelligent, we are supposed to, lead the way for misguided individuals.
I am sorry I am disappointed that senior members are supporting these kind of idiocies.

dear prasad,

i think you are being extra hard on yourself...there are many things in this world, beyond each one's control please take it easy. thank you.

Isn't dhristi and nazar the same? If we believe that bad/envious thoughts can affect us then surely it makes sense to believe in this casting eyes/nazar/dhristi dosham?

Can i just clarify? is the whole dhristi thing a lunacy or just the remedy of it? :)

No offense to the free and rational thinkers, it is a problem of the believers. BTW, even when I was under the grip of delusion I never found a connection with this "hammer putting" :). My MIL always insists on it and I just have to stand there with a straight face, i.e. this is still a part of my household as well. My son, DIL, and daughter are subjected to this lunacy by my wife and if I dare even a smirk the collective weight of them all will come down upon me like a load of 16 tons.

Cheers!

only 16 tons.. he ain't heavy! ... because you are strong !!

[video=youtube;Jl5vi9ir49g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl5vi9ir49g&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
When it comes to India, anything and everything is possible! I am sure you must have heard of this statement…definitely one man’s belief is another man’s superstition. All barriers are broken when it comes to superstitions. All you need is a panditji or a swamiji or a fakir to tell one that his mars is strong or bad period (shani) is reigning over him…that’s it! The person would leave no stone unturned in performing all the rituals that are required to be performed to set off the good period in his life.
Unfortunately, many fail to realize that the same amount of dedication and conviction if applied in other aspects of life would do them much better. But the social evils in India are entrenched so deeply that cutting one rope would not be sufficient. Superstitions and the caste system go along at the same line with the people from the higher caste considering the lower caste people as untouchables.
We, as the people of India have moved ahead in all aspects of life. So, why is it that it is so difficult to let go of our faith, beliefs and superstitions? We hear cases of daughters being sold off only because some swamiji has told the family that it would bring good luck to the clan. But these are certain serious offences which in times of today, are serious crimes overlooked by the society.
On the other hand, the less serious superstitions which I would call stupidity include not passing by if a cat has cut across your way. Similarly, one should not cut nails or wash hair on specific days in a week. The reason behind the above is because they are considered to be inauspicious.
Indians have the tendency to rely a lot on astrology and charts when it comes to important matters in their life. This aspect is so deeply ingrained, that even the educated people belonging to well-to-do families follow it religiously. This is particularly true when it comes to issues such as marriage. It is a known fact that in India, when there is an auspicious occasion like wedding, it is not just the union of two people but the union of two families. And so, the horoscopes (I would rather call it horror scopes!) need to match before the holy matrimony. The fact to be noted here is that inter caste and inter-religious marriages are still not accepted very openly here.
In today’s context, do such practices really matter? Is one already destined or an individual makes his own destiny? When it comes to Indians and the removal of these superstitions, it would merely question the very existence of the people.
For instance, let’s imagine the practice of such aspects being banned by the government of India. What would the people do? When it comes to the youngsters, I am sure most of them would be happy. There would be some who would rebel where as others would accept unwillingly as change. But then, getting back to reality, even our darling politicians would not take any action without consulting their astrologers. And so, it’s everywhere from the common to the poorest to the elite. An assurance of a soothsayer, be it a false one is important for our psyches to move in the right direction.
All in all, this is an issue of debate which would not end in the near future. All one can do is fight by spreading education and awareness. So, the shackles could only be broken when the chains are let lose. And the lock could only be opened with a key which is literacy and knowledge here.

Superstitions in India!

Superstitions can sometimes lead to horrifying crimes. Women, who were suspected of practicing witchcraft were tied and burnt alive. Child sacrifices are made to please gods.

The world today is governed by science. Science has made life easy and man has advanced a lot. Superstitions have no applications in today's life. So we, should not follow the superstitions that were passed on to us by our ancestors. We should follow only the ones which have scientific and logical basis. A person believing in superstitions is always haunted by unknown fears and anxieties. He lose self-confidence. Education is one factor that can wipe out superstitions to some extent. A scientific outlook and temper should be cultivated to do away with superstitions.

A new bride is judged by the fortunes or misfortunes that occur in her new family for a year after marriage. She enters her new home putting her right foot first. This was a way to control and put pressure on the women.
Pregnant women are not allowed to travel alone at night or enter an uninhabited home because ghosts might possess them. They should read religious books and watch inspiring movies so that the child grows up to be a good person.

Stating that spirituality was meant to free one from believing in superstitions or meaningless practices, Swami Brahmarupananda said that enough damage was done by inducing fear and superstitions among people in the name of religion.
http://www.indiatribune.com/index.p...titions-swamiji&catid=25:community&Itemid=457

Last edited:
Recently a woman in Chandigarh sacrificed her nephew under influence of a tantric who advised her to sacrifice a male child, if she wanted to have a baby of her own. The dark side of it also remains as many people fall pray to such tantriks and commit obnoxious crimes to fulfill their desires.

As many such incident occur in far flung areas and often are not reported, the local police and administration too have come lightly on such matter as a result many such offenders gets to roam free and repeat the horrendous crime over and over again.

Absence of medical facilities in such areas drives the local inhabitants to seek treatment from untrained person. They often fell pray to witch doctors who guide them to witches and sorcerers for their ill fortune and as a result they end up taking peoples lives by branding them of practicing witchcraft without any evidence.

The unreasonable adherence to superstition has led villagers and tribal people to blame witches from bad luck to failure of crops.

But many social scientists believe that under the veil of superstition or witchcraft people carry out their hatred towards women to grab their land, family rivalry or to seek revenge if other has denied sexual advances.
We get to hear such news from across India in which innocent people in the name of practicing witchcraft undergo severe treatment and even lose their life. Some are beheaded, some are tortured to death, tongues are chopped off or nails are taken out.

In one such case all the hell broke when a woman suspected of witchcraft was tied and beaten and finally hanged upside-down from a tree and a fire was lit under her so that flame could not reach her body. She was charred to death slowly and painfully.

It is also observed that witchcraft is mainly observed in a part of rural or tribal India where education still seems like a distant dream. Superstitions rule our psyche and are very much an accepted notion even today.
Lal Pari Devi was beaten, tied to a tree and the people’s court gave its verdict and decided to chop her hair and smeared her face with lime. Kalawati, a widow was paraded naked in a village in Bihar because she dared to enter the village Temple in spite of being a widow and a Dalit too, while the two other women were forced to swallow human excreta by villagers who blamed them for being responsible for an outbreak of chicken pox.
According to Atheist Centre, which in its investigation of witchcraft in one of the district of Andhra Pradesh wrote, “People’s ignorance, illiteracy, ill health and a strong socio-cultural belief in the existence of witchcraft are causing untold misery to the people. Many times the belief in witchcraft led to violent incidents resulting in the plucking of teeth, breaking of hands and legs, cutting off the tongues, and in some cases burning to death of the so-called sorcerers. Gruesome murders take place and sometimes they are banished from the village after subjecting them to severe torture.”This is India for those who think India is liberated...yes it is! The pace at which India has moved forward; the same pace has dragged India backward. The sharp contrast is very much visible, at this moment when India is the major contributor to the world best mind but even today the word like social evils continues to guard our conscience.

Dark side of India: witchcraft and superstitions

I am a believer of 'evil eye' concept. The dry red chilli which if by mistake falls in a fire, produces fumes which irritate the eyes

and nose but after the process of 'drishti chutrip pOdal', there will be absolutely no smell and the fumes will not irritate the eyes

or nose. I have experienced several times.

But I feel bad when the 'gingelly oil' is given to a poor brahman to remove the drishti. Why should the poor person get some
other persons evil things? :humble:

Isn't dhristi and nazar the same?...
You are right amala, one of the best love songs in Hindi goes like nazar na lag jaye .. ..

Since I am a budda, I know you won't mistake me, just think of this as a wish from me that one day soon an eligible and prospective suitor will sing this to you .... Nazar Na Lag Jaaye - YouTube

Can i just clarify? is the whole dhristi thing a lunacy or just the remedy of it?
With due respects to Mrs. RR, lunacy can't be a remedy for lunacy, can it???

Best wishes and merry cheers for the new year to one and all!

I have no problems with those who believe in Drishti/Nazar etc cos some say when there is evil thoughts by another person it some what disturbs the aura around us and it needs some minor remedies etc to correct the disturbance.

But sometimes it gets on my nerves when people carry it too far for example at work..if I have a patient of Tamil origin and when I weigh the babies and chart it on the weight progress chart and tell the parents "Good healthy weight and child is healthy"..parents tell me straight away .."doc dont talk like that..I dont want my baby falling sick cos you are casting eye on my babies weight".

And when their older kids say "bye doc see you.." their parents get so so scared and say "dont tell a doctor bye see you..you will fall sick"

So for patients who believe in Dristhi etc..I just chart the weight of the child and give no comments on progress unless asked.Dont want to be blamed for anything.

Last edited:
I have no problems with those who believe in Drishti/Nazar etc cos some say when there is evil thoughts by another person it some what disturbs the aura around us and it needs some minor remedies etc to correct the disturbance.

But sometimes it gets on my nerves when people carry it too far for example at work..if I have a patient of Tamil origin and when I weigh the babies and chart it on the weight progress chart and tell the parents "Good healthy weight and child is healthy"..parents tell me straight away .."doc dont talk like that..I dont want my baby falling sick cos you are casting eye on my babies weight".

And when their older kids say "bye doc see you.." their parents get so so scared and say "dont tell a doctor bye see you..you will fall sick"

So for patients who believe in Dristhi etc..I just chart the weight of the child and give no comments on progress unless asked.Dont want to be blamed for anything.

Though there are Puranic stories about Rakshasas etc the concept of evil does not exist in the Vedic vision. Therefore true religious traditions based on Vedas do not have such a concept of evil though many Hindus have borrowed this idea from the Biblical religions and have created practices. Besides such a concept of evil is not rational anyway which is a stronger reason to reject them. In vedic vision there is only knowledge and ignorance.

Of course a section of population always tend to be superstitious no matter where they are from. Best is to avoid debating with them since it is hard to reason with them.

Reminds me why I should not argue with atheists too LoL

.. In vedic vision there is only knowledge and ignorance. ...

Reminds me why I should not argue with atheists too LoL
Dear Sangom sir, since I am not very informed with Vedic practices I request you to throw some light on this matter. What is the difference, in its essence, between superstitious evil-eye beliefs and Vedic beliefs in rituals such as slaughtering horses for progeny and women curling up beside slaughtered horses to beget virile sons?

Sangom sir, I don't know about others, but to me, silly beliefs like evil-eye are more understandable compared to blind belief that Vedas contain all knowledge and anything outside of the Vedic vision is ignorance.

wishing great abundance of cheers for the new year

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers!

nara,

Kindly observe that I have cautioned about this drishti chuttutal becoming an OCD. But since the OP seemed as though she/he was in some bad position and suspected drishti, I wrote what I knew.

Cheers!

Luckily, my mother felt that once she succumbs to this "hammer-putting", it would become a habit and controlled it to the very minimum. And my wife has also been free of this obsession to a very large extent. Now, after seeing how my neighbour has become obsessed with it, we have practically abandoned it. Even otherwise what drishti for one thaatha and paatti?:)

They say combination drugs are better than individual ones in some cases. chilli/pepper/ camphor for physical burning of the evil eye, mantra for evoking divine favours, swear words for unburdening the mind of the evil wisher/ doer and meditation/ yoga for long term benefits. To each according to his needs and temperament.

Recent advice from the research medicos is to opt for individual medicines in correct doses then to go for composite drugs which have fixed strengths. (hyper tension medicines)

I believe the composite nature of our faith gives multiple solutions; and this is our strength.

There is no Drishti or any such thing.
You cannot get rid of anything that you do not have.

What is needed is calm and peace of mind that can help you deal with the issues.

You may want to start a practices of daily meditation that will help calm your mind and allow you to face reality.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back