• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Song meaning of Kapali Ni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My name is Renuka and I am a newbie here.. I needed help from those who understand Tamil very well in translating the below mentioned song on Shiva.

kapAli nI dayAnidhi. rAgA: pAlini. Adi tALA. Composer: Lalita Sivakumar.
P: kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati tuNai varuvAi
A: sabhApati nidam enpAl iniyAgilum kanindaruL purivAyO
(madhyamakAla)
sAmagAna vinOdanE shivakAmi nAthanE sakalalOka nAyakanE sarvEshvaranE
C: pAmara jana pAlini umai tannai pAdiyAi koNDavanE pirai mati aNindavanE puli tOlai uDuttavanE
(madhyamakAla)
AlAhalam uNDa nIlakaNThanE kAlanai udaitta kailAsanE sabEshanE
naTEshanE mahEshanE prakAshanE jagadIshanE sadAshivanE
'E'-SWARA-Msic-13-Niranjana Srinivasan-kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati.flv - YouTube

I was not able to figure out few of the words. I am a bharatanatyam dancer and need this translation for my choreographing.. Also, I am a Brahmin but not Tamil, so thought this forum would help me in this regard.

Thanks
Renuka

There are different interpretations of the first word - Please take a look at this link
lyrics and mp3 for " Kapalini " (Page 1) - Sahitya & identification requests - rasikas.org

You may also be interested in seeing this youtube video if
you have not seen (Bharatanatyam dance to this song)

Divya Sundar - Shiva Stuti- Kapalini - YouTube

There are more kn knowledgeable people in this forum who can give you a good translation into English. I will try to give if no one else gives.

Smt. Lalitha Sivakumar is the mother of Smt. Nithyasree Mahadevan.

Last edited:
There are different interpretations of the first word - Please take a look at this link
lyrics and mp3 for " Kapalini " (Page 1) - Sahitya & identification requests - rasikas.org

There are more kn knowledgeable people in this forum who can give you a good translation into English. I will try to give if no one else gives.

To me this looks like a half-baked "archani" kriti - pick words from Siva sahasranamam and "fabricate" a kriti somehow. Compare this with the composition of Papanasam Sivan "ANDavanE unnai nambinEn" in Shanmukhapriya or "KApALi, karuNai nilavu pozhi" in Mohanam and then you will understand why I have a low opinion of this kapali nee. The raga has been incorporated in three places, but that is not a great achievement, imo.

The Pallavi requests Shiva to accompany the singer as "tuNai" but in the a.p. the singer is not sure whether Lord will at least be merciful towards him; then how could he make the request in pallavi as if Lord will listen to his prayer?

Charanam has nothing special to claim for itself.

Hi All,

My name is Renuka and I am a newbie here.. I needed help from those who understand Tamil very well in translating the below mentioned song on Shiva.

(madhyamakAla)
C: pAmara jana pAlini umai tannai pAdiyAi koNDavanE pirai mati aNindavanE puli tOlai uDuttavanE
(madhyamakAla)
'E'-SWARA-Msic-13-Niranjana Srinivasan-kapAli nI dayAnidhi umApati.flv - YouTube

I was not able to figure out few of the words. I am a bharatanatyam dancer and need this translation for my choreographing.. Also, I am a Brahmin but not Tamil, so thought this forum would help me in this regard.

Thanks
Renuka
You say that you do not know Tamil. So, in which language do you want the translation? The English version given by you appears ok.

pAmara jana pAlini in charanam is in the pallavi line of song of Muthuswamy Dikshitar (has composed) - so pAlini may be a Sanskrit word. (this song address the female deity in Tanjore temple).

pAmara jana pAlini also occurs in charanam of Ekamresa Nayike (another Muthuswamy Dikishitar's composition) on Kamakshi.

To me the composer's (Smt. Lalita Sivakumar) play on words is interesting. I am not here to compare music composers. The first poster wanted meaning - I have sent her a private message with the meaning.

Here is MMI singing kApALi with lyrics

http://www.vijayadhwani.com/2009/03/kapali-karunai-nilavu.html

Here is Unnikrishnan singing ANDavanE unnai nambinEn

http://youtu.be/wgu1PhHZldI

Last edited:
Hi All,

(madhyamakAla)
(madhyamakAla)

Thanks
Renuka

kapAli = one who begs with the "Brahmakapaalam" in his hands.

nI = you
dayAnidhi = treasure (nidhi) of dayaa (compassion, mercy)
umApati = consort of Uma, Parvathi
tuNai = protector
varuvAi = please come

"tuNai varuvaay" in spoken Tamil means please come along with me for my protection; this was very common in the olden days when women had to be taken by some menfolk like husband, brother, father or able son so that they can travel safely, even within the same panchayat.
sabhApati = the lord of the sabha, reference is to Thillai Natarajar
nidam = always
enpAl = towards me
iniyAgilum = at least hereafter (at least in future)
kanindaruL purivAyO = kanintu (having become merciful)+aruL (blessing) +purivAyO? (will you give, bestow?
(madhyamakAla)
sAmagAna vinOdanE = one who enjoys, one who is expert in (both meanings can be given to the sanskrit word 'vnodaH') the singing of Sama (veda) chants
shivakAmi nAthanE = the consort of ShivakAmi (shivakAmi can be taken to mean,1. one who loves shiva, and also, 2. one who is loved by shiva.)
sakalalOka nAyakanE = leader (nAyakan) of all the worlds (sakala lOka)

sarvEshvaranE = Lord of everything

C: pAmara jana = the sanskrit word "pAmara" means -
diseased with herpes, scabby ; wicked, vile ; low, vulgar, base ; stupid ; a man of the lowest extraction, a man engaged in any degrading occupation ; an idiot, fool ; a wicked man; evil, bad character, wickedness.

hence, pAmara jana means, in this context, (even) people of the lowest castes/classes
pAlini = protector (feminine)
umai = Parvati
tannai = herself; umai tannai = uma herself
pAdiyAi = as half
koNDavanE = one who (has) accepted

Allusion is to ardhanArISvara

pirai mati = crescent (piRai not pirai) moon (mati)
aNindavanE = one who has decked (himself) with
puli tOlai uDuttavanE = wearer (uDuttavan) of tiger (puli) skin (tOl)
(madhyamakAla)
AlAhalam = the poison hAlahala
uNDa = one who ate
nIlakaNThanE = O! NilakaNTha

kAlanai udaitta kailAsanE = the resident of kailAsa (kailAsan) who kicked away (utaitta, and not udaitta, imo) kAlanai (yama, the god of death=kAlan)
sabEshanE = once again, reference to Thillai and the sabhai
naTEshanE = O! natESA
mahEshanE = O! mahESA
prakAshanE = prakAsha means brightness, light; so, here this may be taken to mean O! the god of light
jagadIshanE = O! Lord of the universe (world)
sadAshivanE
= O! sadA shivA

All,

Thank you for the wonderful input on the song.. I am so sorry for not replying before as i had forgotten my login credentials.. :-(

I performed this song today and it was a hit.. I wished to perform this song after listening to the wonderful voice of Nithyashree..

Thanks
Renuka

Yeah.. I am aware of the forum Rasikas and I am already a part of it.. :) I had posted it there as well..

To me this looks like a half-baked "archani" kriti - pick words from Siva sahasranamam and "fabricate" a kriti somehow. Compare this with the composition of Papanasam Sivan "ANDavanE unnai nambinEn" in Shanmukhapriya or "KApALi, karuNai nilavu pozhi" in Mohanam and then you will understand why I have a low opinion of this kapali nee. The raga has been incorporated in three places, but that is not a great achievement, imo.

The Pallavi requests Shiva to accompany the singer as "tuNai" but in the a.p. the singer is not sure whether Lord will at least be merciful towards him; then how could he make the request in pallavi as if Lord will listen to his prayer?

Charanam has nothing special to claim for itself.

Will surely check the other songs as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back