• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Frederick Forsyth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks I am in the wrong company and nobody reads such books over here.

No sir

Looks I am in the wrong company and nobody reads such books over here.

No LQ, I am sure lot of our forum members do read. Perhaps they haven't read these 2 titles & hence have nothing to respond.

I am slowly but surely proceeding towards creating a world record of sorts in reading multiple books at the same time & having different POCs (percentage of completion, for those not in IT)

Indian Summers - John Wright, Out of my comfort zone - Steve Waugh, Colin Powell, Blink, Shantaram, Inspite of the Gods, In the line of Fire - Pervez Musharraf, Tough Choices - Carly Fiorina, The world is flat - Thomas Friedman are only some of the books that are in different POCs. Add to this, i have to "study" for my EGMP exams as well.

A fine balancing act, i am into.

So do keep recommending titles...one day (which day ? i dunno) i WILL finish these books & then get on to your reccos. So keep it coming.

dear sir,
i am yet to read it but will revert later to the subject.
i have read the dan brown collection and i find in all his books the start is good but the end is a big let down(digital fortress-end is like tamil film)
any thoughts on this.
regards eswaran

Hi

Are you in any way connected with IN or merchant navy?

Glad to see that site membership includes lesser mortals also, i.e., those who read books other than holy scriptures etc.

Your screenname reminds me of numerous novels by Alistair McLean which I have read and thoroughly enjoyed. His novels centre around marine/naval life.

Temperament-wise , I find myself close to the Hero/Central Character of McLean novels.

dear sir,
i am yet to read it but will revert later to the subject.
i have read the dan brown collection and i find in all his books the start is good but the end is a big let down(digital fortress-end is like tamil film)
any thoughts on this.
regards eswaran

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know how is the book "In line of fire" by Musharraf.
Is it worth reading?

Yes, if you don't have to buy it

I would like to know how is the book "In line of fire" by Musharraf.
Is it worth reading?

Yes, book is worth a read.

On kargil - General unleashes a bundle of lies...Tries very hard to convince the readers that kargil was a political decision & not a military mis-adventure

On Nawaz Sharif Coup - Blow by blow account. Gives a clear picture as to why Pakistan is a rogue state (India too is, but i would like to believe that we have a method in madness)

Positions himself as something like the "messiah" of Pakistan, the ONLY one at that.

It is a classical SPB book as my ex boss would put it. Self Patting Back

BTW, you don't have to buy it.

Download it from : http://www.esnips.com/doc/0548244d-...eed921/In-The-Line-Of-Fire-By-Pervez-Musharaf

If this link doesn't work go to www.esnips.com & search by tags using musharaf

Yes, I have

I have read both the books. I found Afghan very slowly building up and the action is suddenly over. Atleast Avenger was better than Afghan. Of his others, i have read Negotiator & the Fist of God. I love Fist of God and read it many a times. I always wanted to read, the Day of the Jackal & Odessa File...but...waiting for it.

dear sir,
i am not directly connected with navy but was once connected with army. still the umb cord is connected.
as regards alistair maclean all his novels are gems. f forsyth is also a gripping story teller. in the same genre is ken follet. but i found wilbur smith's novels touching the heart.
as i live in a remote place and keep moving it becomes difficult to get books. they are also costly!!
i am reading forsyths bourne ultimatum but so far only so-so(50/50)
will give a review once(?) i complete.
thanks regarda
eswaran

Help is on the way...

as i live in a remote place and keep moving it becomes difficult to get books. they are also costly!!

At the risking of repeating too many times, www.esnips.com has a good collection of books. I am sure you can get e books of all your fav authors.

yours truly has a modest collection & i can share it, whenever praveen can provide uploading options.

btw i was bit intrigued to see your remark that you find it difficult to get books as you live in a "remote place". And your location reads as "Chennai".

dear hari,
i am from chennai but now in north east.
i visit chennai 2-3 times in a year thanks to air deccan/spice etc.,
you may also notice that my responses are delayed as i am able to access net at irregular intervels. i am happy about the link and also thankful about your offer. let me complete the current book and i will take up on your offer.
i happen to get cheap(?!) indian reprints from pavements of KOLkata an delhi(pirated) some times?
regards
eswaran

Catching up

Downloaded 'In Line of Fire' and trying to read two books at a time - 'In line of Fire' and Mathew Reilly 'Area - 7'. Both books are quite engrossing.

Early impressions: Musharraf appears to carry a sensible head on his shoulders, has a weakness for boasting and self patting, feeds the same anti-india vitriolic through his book i.e., the trademark vitriolic of paki generals.

He appears to have the qualities of a good leader - leading by front and by example, take care of own people, subordinates etc.

Book gives close insight into the paki society - democracy or no democracy, President, Chief Justice and Prime Minister all play second fiddle to the Army.

Somewhere I had once read - When paki generals are not busy plotting against India, they are busy plotting a coup against their own government!

Yes, book is worth a read.

On kargil - General unleashes a bundle of lies...Tries very hard to convince the readers that kargil was a political decision & not a military mis-adventure

On Nawaz Sharif Coup - Blow by blow account. Gives a clear picture as to why Pakistan is a rogue state (India too is, but i would like to believe that we have a method in madness)

Positions himself as something like the "messiah" of Pakistan, the ONLY one at that.

It is a classical SPB book as my ex boss would put it. Self Patting Back

BTW, you don't have to buy it.

Download it from : http://www.esnips.com/doc/0548244d-...eed921/In-The-Line-Of-Fire-By-Pervez-Musharaf

If this link doesn't work go to www.esnips.com & search by tags using musharaf

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lotus quartz,
I am a voracious reader basically and love reading fiction.I go with you.I like the day of the jackal better.Found the faghan a bit boring.Well,I read anything from fiction to philosophy and am a diehard fan of Jostein Gaarder when it comes to mild philosophy.Paulo Coelho is okay,but i think Mr gaarder is the best in this genre.When it comes to normal fiction,I raed Frederick forsythe,Dan Breon,Jeffrey Archer(I've completed reading all his books),J K Rowling,Sidney Sheldon(Long back,i thought he was the best but am longer a fan of his),Stephen King,Barbara Taylor Bradford,Nora Roberts,taylor caldwell,Agatha Christie(especially her novels in the bittersweet series),Kristin Hannah(currently i'm her die hard aficianada),John steinbeck,Jane Austen,james Patterson,Danielle Steel and much more.Ilove reading and love philosophising!

Earlier I'd posted a reply under one of your thraeds but unfortunately the moderator hadnt posted it.Didn't approve of it,i reckon!Or did i post about something else there?!!Anyways,I am very glad i have found someone who i can talk to fervently about books.I love discussing books.
Oh did i forget Mitch AlbommJohn Grisham and Robert Ludlum in my earlier post?I love Mr Ludlum.He's just terrific!

I have read several of Ludlum books.

Beyond a certain limit, I found that the author hypes so much about the Bourne (as if the guy possesses unearthly endurance, talent, speed and split second judgement etc.) in particular and CIA/USA in general that it starts seemmingly unreal.

It seems impossible of any human being to have such qualities.

Contrast this with the talent and witticism of the lawer Perry Mason in Erle Stanley Gardner books.

It is quite humanly possible for a person to have such wit and if lucky, we may also come across such witty people any where in the world and not necessarily in the USA.

It's true that the Bourne character is somewhat larger than life but i love the way he writes.His witty remarks and his language are somethuing i have a deep likng for and the book i enjoyed most is "the road to omaha".It's an excellent book and yes,when compared to the bourne series,this one is much better.

Perry Mason is Class,as you had rightly put.I alos likeJames hadley Chase.
Now LQ,do you raed ebooks?I have some 20 books with me which are supr sensible.

Yes, I do. Hari referred to one book (In Line of Fire) which I could download from a site and read half way through. Also, recently, one of my friend got a CD in book fair having about 50 good books and classics in pdf form.

Please send me the books in your collection or send the website adress where it is available for download.

I have some 20 books with me which are supr sensible.

re

Recently read couple of novels by Frederick Forsyth:
1. Afghan
2. Avenger

Good ones, though not of the same class as Day of the Jackal.

lq

the book as well as the movie is too good.But Robert Ludlum is equally gripping especially the Bourne series:dance: plus sherlock holmes,agatha christie,james hadley chase,wilbur smith...gosh its been ages i read such super novels.sigh.

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back