• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

request for south indian receipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a great fan of coffee as most people are. I have a doubt regarding coffe preparation. Should one pour milk into coffee or coffee into milk? Sometime back a chef in one of the TV programs mentioned about this but I do not remember. Can our members throw some light?

Mr. Siva:

I prefer to pour heated milk FIRST in the coffee mug and then add coffee to it; this way I seem to get the right color and quantity of milk mix in the coffee. I would make sure that it is heated milk and not cold milk; my experience is, if I put cold milk in the hot coffee, I would need to reheat the coffee and the taste is not original or the same.......

Mr.Servall,

Thank you for your response.

I could see your love for coffee in your post. I am also particular about colour, consistency and flavour. Of late, I take more of cappuccino outside my home. At home I take de-caffeinated coffee and fat free milk. I agree that coffee has to be hot and reheated coffee does not give the same taste as original. I take coffee without sugar though I eat plenty of sweets everyday. I would like to hear more on coffee.

Can anybody help me?I want to send complete south indian receipe(including various festival&ritual receipe) to my daughter in US.Kalyanaraman
Hello Sir,There is a book 'Samaipathu eppadi' by Smt. Vedavalli (LIFCO Publishers). It is a complete guide for all, has a lot of variety of southindian food, snacks, sweets, Karams etc. Almost all our festival food items are also given. And the method of preparing various podi items, like rasam podi, idly milagaipodi etc are also given. I think it may be available in Alliance Publishers/ LIFCO etc. The special point is it teaches right from the basics of cooking. If you want to go for latest menus, pls try for Mallika Badrinath's recipe books - they come under several sub-titles as tiffin items, gravy items and so on.ThanksAnamika

Mr.Servall,

Thank you for your response.

I could see your love for coffee in your post. I am also particular about colour, consistency and flavour. Of late, I take more of cappuccino outside my home. At home I take de-caffeinated coffee and fat free milk. I agree that coffee has to be hot and reheated coffee does not give the same taste as original. I take coffee without sugar though I eat plenty of sweets everyday. I would like to hear more on coffee.

Hi Siva sir, how are you??
been busy to catch up... anyway, this is about Coffee.. I too love my coffee and agree that it has to have the right color, no doubt.. as you may know that we don't make the filter coffee everyday in the US.. I am not a fan of the drip coffee since it is so watered down, once in a while it is ok.. specially when you are at work, we have no choice but to drink that..

coming to make the instant coffee.. I follow the " kai podi" method... in olden days, I believe when they did not have time, the women used to throw some powder in boiling water and add velam to it and add some milk, but that coffee was soooooooooooo good. I have had that in Chathapuram in my Dad's cousin's house. anyway what I do is on one pot i have milk simmering and on the other pot I have water boiling I add my instant to it and it comes alive :)) meaning "Pongaradhu" and I switch off that stove and add my milk and then sugar to this coffee.. I love cinnamon, so I have couple of small cinnamon sticks in the boiling water.. and it is just divine the taste.. You would never know that it is instant coffee.. :)) My younger son in law loves it.. of course, my children know my recipe already.. :)
Try and tell me how you like it..

What does the right colour of coffee mean? Aren't they all brown? :). I'm not at all into coffee unless its an ice blended mocha with whipped cream or a frappucino from Starbucks etc. Usually I'm a total tea junkie. Indian, Sri Lankan, Oolong, green, Japanese, Chinese, herbal, masala etc. I love all of them whatever their colour ie white, green, yellow et al!

What does the right colour of coffee mean? Aren't they all brown? :). I'm not at all into coffee unless its an ice blended mocha with whipped cream or a frappucino from Starbucks etc. Usually I'm a total tea junkie. Indian, Sri Lankan, Oolong, green, Japanese, Chinese, herbal, masala etc. I love all of them whatever their colour ie white, green, yellow et al!

No dear, the color has to be right.. not like your dark brown color with added cream.. but your frappucino sounds delicious.. :))

I love tea also and make my special blend I add so many different spices and my children love the way I make it.. in fact, one christmas I made powder of all the masala and gave it to them and also love ginger coffee, so made a nice blend of my coffee and gave it to my second SIL.. I am so itching to go to NJ to be with them.. I miss them so much, it is bothering me.. all this talk about tea and coffee.. hehehehehee!!! :)

Dear Subhalakshmi:

the color has to be right.. not like your dark brown color with added cream..

You are absolutely right. I am surprised you said you dont like filter coffee. I thought our parents in India always made filter coffee at home and didnt you like it? I find if you make filter coffee out of the he pre-packaged coffee poweders out there (such as folgers, maxwell) they dont taste good. I dont prefer the rich colombian or south american coffee either since they turn out to be too strong for me. Most of the department stores these days provide us the option to mix and match different coffee beans and grind it to our consistency. If you like coffee, try to blend your own beans and grind it and try filter coffee. Amala : I think while starbucks may make some fancy coffee tasty, they make their regular coffee too too strong?
Plus I dont like to mix thick cream to coffee. I simply boil the milk, and pour my filter coffee gently into the milk to get it to medium rich frothy brown!!! If you happen to eat out in San Jose, try restaurants like Komala Vilas, they make nice filter coffee, if you like it, just prod them how they do it!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Servall sir,

I love filter coffee that we are used to in India, my mother made the best coffee.. in fact people just visited to have coffee in our house.. she is the best.. :)) I was actually talking about the drip coffee in the US.. I don't like that very much.. I must have said filter coffee by mistake.. sorry.. who could resist filter coffee the aroma even before it hits your tip of your tongue, I still dream about my mom's coffee.. she had the perfect " P Berry" blend, if she did not get it in Madras, she got it from Bangalore.. and I remember the days there was a coffee shop near Salam stores in Pondy Bazaar, the berries were freshly roasted and packaged and sold.. I remember my mom going there.. god, engeyo ormaigal poiduthu.. I mean, ninaivugal.. nostalgia no doubt..

I did find a nice blend here and since I have moved, my stuff is still in the garage, and my filter is stuck there.. once I get it out I plan to make my own filter coffee.. but I was talking about the in between satisfaction that I get from certain brands of instant coffee and how to mimic the filter coffee.. :)

In India nowadays we get instant coffee powders similar to Filter coffee
powder. For quick coffee, people prefer this of late. In our house, around
a decade back, we used to fry the seed at home and grind it ourselves daily
or as and when required in stead of going to the shop.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back