• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

devyaparādha kṣamāpaṇa stotram

Status
Not open for further replies.
देव्यपराध क्षमापण स्तॊत्रम्
( தேவ்யபராத க்ஷமாபண ஸ்தோத்ரம்)

It will be surprising to see a stotra being posted (uploaded) by me, because no one will
expect an agnostic to do so. But it may be appropriate to say here that I have a good repertoire of mantras and stotras committed to memory in my younger days (some of which I have not been able to recollect fluently because of age).

The first eight verses of this stotra is set to the metre "sikharini" (சிகரிணி), which comes under the broader head "atyashti" (அத்யஷ்டி) in the list of sanskrit metres in which the gāyatrī, uṣṇik, anuṣṭup, etc., also find their place. The 9th. is in the metre "vasanthathilakam" (under Sakvari), the 10th. verse is in "upajaathi"; the eleventh is a mixture of pankti and trishtup metres. The last verse is set to the gaayatree chhandas.

न मन्त्रं नॊयन्त्रं तदपि न जानॆ स्तुतिम् अहो
न चाह्वानं ध्यानं तदपि च न जानॆ स्तुथिकथा ।
न जानॆ मुद्रास्तॆ तदपि च न जानॆ विलपनम्
परं जानॆ मातस्तवदनुसरणं क्लॆश हरणम् ॥ (१)

ந மந்த்ரம் நோயந்த்ரம் ததபி ந ஜாநெ ஸ்துதிம் அஹோ
ந சாஹ்வாநம் த்யாநம் ததபி ச ந ஜாநெ ஸ்துதிகதா |
ந ஜாநெ முத்ராஸ்தெ ததபி ச ந ஜாநெ விலபநம்
பரம் ஜாநெ மாதஸ்தவதநுஸரணம் க்லேச ஹரணம் || (௧)

Mother, I don't know mantra nor yantra, nor can I sing your praise. I do not know how to welcome you , nor how to meditate on your presence;neither do I know how to sing your glories. I don't know the mystical signs of yours, nor do I know how to lament. But I know above all, that if I obey you all difficulties will be removed.

विधॆरज्ञानॆन द्रविण विरहॆणालसतया
विधॆयाशक्यत्वात् तव चरणयॊर्या च्युतिरभूत् ।
तदेतत् क्षन्तव्यं जननि सकलॊद्धारिणि शिवॆ
कुपुत्रो जायॆत क्वचिद् अपि कुमाता न भवति ॥ (२)

விதேரஜ்ஞாநெந த்ரவிண விரஹேணாலஸதயா
விதெயாசக்யத்வாத் தவ சரணயோர்யா ச்யுதிரபூத் |
ததேதத் க்ஷந்தவ்யம் ஜநநி ஸகலோத்தாரிணி சிவே
குபுத்ரோ ஜாயெத க்வசித் அபி குமாதா ந பவதி || (௨)

Whatever mistake has happened due to my ignorance of the pooja vidhi or due to my not having sufficient material resources, or due to my laziness, I request your pardon for all those lapses. O Mother! One who provides upliftment to everyone! there can be bad offspring but never a bad mother.

पृथिव्यां पुत्रास्तॆ जननि बहवः सन्ति सरळाः
परं तेषां मध्यॆ विरलतरलॊऽहं तव सुतः ।
मदीयोऽयं त्यागः समुचितं इदं नॊ तव शिवॆ
कुपुत्रो जायॆत क्वचिदपि कुमाता न भवति ॥ (३)

ப்ருதிவ்யாம் புத்ராஸ்தே ஜநநி பஹவஃ ஸந்தி ஸரளாஃ
பரம் தேஷாம் மத்யே விரலதரளோऽஹம் தவ ஸுதஃ |
மதீயோயம் த்யாகஃ ஸமுசிதம் இதம் நோ தவ சிவே
குபுத்ரோ ஜாயேத க்வசிதபி குமாதா ந பவதி || (௩)

Mother ! Being the originator of everything, you have very many children (sons). But among them I am one son of yours who is of a delicate and unstable nature. (May be) it does not behove you to rid me of this, (but) offspring may be bad but never a mother becomes bad towards her children.

जगन्मातर्मातस्तव चरणसॆवा न रचिता
न वा दत्तं दॆवि द्रविणं अपि भूयस्तव मया ।
तथापि त्वं स्नेहं मयि निरुपमं यत्प्रकुरुषॆ
कुपुत्रॊ जायॆत क्वचिदपि कुमाता न भवति ॥ (४)

ஜகந்மாதர்மாதஸ்தவ சரணஸேவா ந ரசிதா
ந வா தத்தம் தேவி த்ரவிணம் அபி பூயஸ்தவ மயா |
ததாபி த்வம் ஸ்நேஹம் மயி நிருபமம் யத்ப்ரகுருஷே
குபுத்ரோ ஜாயேத க்வசிதபி குமாதா ந பவதி || (௪)

O jaganmata ! I have not performed any service to your (holy) feet, nor has money been offered by me to you. Yet the love that you bestow on me shows your graciousness, (because) offspring may be bad but a mother never becomes bad towards her children.

परित्यक्ता दॆवा विविधविध सेवाकुलतया
मया पञ्चाशीतॆरधिकं अपनीतॆ तु वयसि ।
इदानीं चॆन्मातस्तव यदि कृपा नापि भविता
निरालम्बॊ लम्बॊदर जननि कं यामि शरणम् ॥ (५)

பரித்யக்தா தேவா விவிதவித ஸேவாகுலதயா
மயா பஞ்சாசீதேரதிகம் அபநீதே து வயஸி |
இதாநீம் சேந்மாதஸ்தவ யதி க்ருபா நாபி பவிதா
நிராலம்போ லம்போதர ஜநநி கம் யாமி சரணம் || (௫)

I am more than 85 years old. After having been disillusioned of serving (worshipping) all devas, I have left everything and come (to you). O Mother! if now your compassion is not bestowed on me, I will be shelterless. O mother of Ganesha! to whom shall I go for protection?

श्वपाकॊ जल्पाकॊ भवति मधुपाकॊपमगिरा
निरातङ्कॊ रङ्कॊ विहरति चिरं कॊटिकनकैः ।
तवापर्णॆ कर्णॆ विशति मनुवर्णॆ फलमिदम्
जनः कॊ जानीतॆ जननि जपनीयं जपविधौ ॥ (६)

ச்வபாகொ ஜல்பாகொ பவதி மதுபாகோபமகிரா
நிராதங்கொ ரங்கொ விஹரதி சிரம் கொடிகநகைஃ |
தவாபர்ணெ கர்ணெ விஹரதி மநுவர்ணெ பலமிதம்
ஜநஃ கோ ஜாநீதெ ஜநநி ஜபநீயம் ஜபவிதௌ || (௬)

He aparne! Even a चण्डाळ who hears your mantra being recited correctly will turn into an adept poet and orator who commands sweet words; and, likewise the poorest person, on hearing your mantra being uttered, turns into a crorepati and enjoys in this world a long life. But, then, who (among the people) knows how to recite you mantra in the appropriate manner?

चिताभस्मालॆपॊ गरळं अशनं दिक्पटधरो
जटाधारी कण्ठॆभुजगपतिहारी पशुपतिः ।
कपाली भूतॆशॊ भजति जगदीशैकपदवीम्
भवानि त्वत्पाणिग्रहणपरिपाटी फलं इदम् ॥ (७)

சிதாபஸ்மாலேபொ கரளம் அசநம் திக்படதரோ
ஜடாதாரீ கண்டேபுஜகபதிஹாரீ பசுபதிஃ |
கபாலீ பூதேசோ பஜதி ஜகதீசைகபதவீம்
பவாநி த்வத்பாணிக்ரஹணபரிபாடீ பலம் இதம் || (௭)

paśupati, whose body is smeared with the ash from the cremation spots, who eats poison, and is naked (has nothing to wear), grows a jaṭā on his neck and the king of snakes around his shoulders, carries a skull (to beg for alms), is the leader of the bhūtas, adorns the seat of jagadīśa (lord
of the worlds)! How? bhavāni, it is the result of his having secured your hand (married you).

न मॊक्षस्याकाङ्क्षा भव विभव वाञ्छाऽपि च न मॆ
नविज्ञानापॆक्षा शसिमुखि सुखॆच्छापि न पुनः ।
अतस्त्वां संयाचॆ जननि जननं यातु मम वै
मृडानी रुद्राणीशिव शिव भवानीति जपतः ॥ (८)

ந மோக்ஷஸ்யாகாங்க்ஷா பவ விபவ வாஞ்சாபி ச ந மெ
நவிஜ்ஞாநாபெக்ஷா சசிமுகி ஸுகேச்சாபி ந புநஃ |
அதஸ்த்வாம் ஸம்யாசெ ஜநநி ஜநநம் யாது மம வை
ம்ருடாநீ ருத்ராணீசிவ சிவ பவாநீதி ஜபதஃ || (௮)

śaśimukhi ! I am not anxious for mokṣa, nor am I desirous of any material pleasures or acquisitions; I do not also wanr more knowledge nor comfortable living. But I do beg of you to grant me this - whatever births I may have in store, may I spend all those reciting your holy names "mṛḍānī rudrāṇīśiva śiva bhavāni".

नाराधिताऽसि विधिना विविधोपचारैः
किं रूक्षचिन्तनपरैर्न कृतं वचॊभिः ।
श्यामे त्वमॆव यदि किञ्चन मय्यनाथॆ
धत्सॆ कृपामुचितं अंबपरं तवैव ॥ (९)

நாராதிதாஸி விதிநா விவிதோபசாரைஃ
கிம் ரூக்ஷசிந்தநபரைர்ந க்ருதம் வசோபிஃ |
ச்யாமே த்வமெவ யதி கிஞ்சந மய்யநாதே
தத்ஸெ க்ருபாமுசிதம் அம்பபரம் தவைவ || (௯)

I have not worshipped you according to the prescribed procedures, and the various offerings to be done. And what all sort of cruel thoughts have I not made by my mind and words! O, the black one! even if an orphan like me errs, it only behoves you as mother, to show compassion (towards me).

आपत्सुमग्नः स्मरणं त्वदीयं
करॊमि दुर्गॆ करुणार्णवॆशि ।
नैतच्छठत्वम् मम भावयॆथाः
क्षुधा तृषार्ता जननीं स्मरन्ति ॥ (१०)

ஆபத்ஸுமக்நஃ ஸ்மரணம் த்வதீயம்
கரோமி துர்கே கருணார்ணவேசி |
நைதச்சடத்வம் மம பாவயேதாஃ
க்ஷுதா த்ருஷார்த்தா ஜநநீம் ஸ்மரந்தி || (௰)

Please do not consider this (stotra) also as something which I say when faced with a crisis. I am like a person afflicted by hunger and thirst; children in such a position will naturally cry out to mother alone (and I am also doing likewise.) and not because I am obstinate.

जगदम्ब विचित्रं अत्र किम् परिपूर्णा करुणास्ति चॆन्मयि ।
अपराध परम्परावृतं न हि माता समुपॆक्षतॆ सुतम् ॥ (११)

ஜகதம்ப விசித்ரம் அத்ர கிம் பரிபூர்ணா கருணாஸ்தி சேந்மயி |
அபராத பரம்பராவ்ருதம் ந ஹி மாதா ஸமுபெக்ஷதெ ஸுதம் || (௧௧)

O Mother of the world ! there is nothing strange in your having complete compassion for me, because even if a son is a habitual offender, the mother does not leave him.

मत्समः पातकी नास्ति पापघ्नी त्वत्समा न हि ।
एवं ज्ञात्वा महादेवि यथायॊग्यं तथा कुरु ॥ (१२)

மத்ஸமஃ பாதகீ நாஸ்தி பாபக்நீ த்வத்ஸமா ந ஹி |
ஏவம் ஞாத்வா மஹாதேவி யதாயோக்யம் ததா குரு || (௧௨)

There is no pātakī (sinner) like me and there is no redeemer like you; knowing this O Mahadevi ! kindly do whatever you feel appropriate.

Thanks for posting this beautiful stotram. Fascinating and very powerful lyrics. My initial guess was that this may have been composed by Adi Sankara ( it somehow made me think of Adi Sanakara's Bhavaani ashtakam and shiva maanasa stotram). In the fifth stanza, the author mentions his age being 85 and that rules out Adi Sankara (at least in a cursory sense). I am curious to know who composed this stotram.

Thanks for posting this beautiful stotram. Fascinating and very powerful lyrics. My initial guess was that this may have been composed by Adi Sankara ( it somehow made me think of Adi Sanakara's Bhavaani ashtakam and shiva maanasa stotram). In the fifth stanza, the author mentions his age being 85 and that rules out Adi Sankara (at least in a cursory sense). I am curious to know who composed this stotram.

It is imposssible to find out the name of the composer of the most of the slokas and stotras. Many of them are attributed to Adi Sankara. This is more of a Marketing technique. I remember Konar's study guides which were very popular some decades back. They were available for all subjects. There was no Mr. konar. The books wer written by different people.

They have started attributing even Mahishasura Mardhini Stotra to Adi Sankara. It was written by one Ramkrishna Kavi from beangal. Popularized by Ramakrishna Matam and Anantharama Dikshidar.

This stotra represents the ultimate in Saranagatha Bhakthi. The author is the same as Bhavani Ashtakam. He was not an Advaitin. Could have been any one of the Sankaracharyas of any one of the Peetams. IMO It was Abhinava Sankara.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back