• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Annapoornashdakam in Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first verse instead of "paavanakaree", the correct word ought to be "paapa nikaree". Is it possible to make the correction please?

In the devi stotra mala book published by RK maTam, author "Anna" it is mentioned as Ghora-paavanakaree only. Is it a typo? In the foot note, he has given two options (i) paavanakaree; and (ii) paapanikaree and has explained as "paaTa-bhedham".

What is the meaning of (i) paavanakaree and (ii) paapanikaree

Regards

Last edited:
In the devi stotra mala book published by RK maTam, author "Anna" it is mentioned as Ghora-paavanakaree only. Is it a typo? In the foot note, he has given two options (i) paavanakaree; and (ii) paapankaree and has explained as "paaTa-bhedham".

Would be glad to note what would the correct one of the three.

Regards

Shri Zebra,

The relevant word in full is "निर्धूताखिल घोर पाप निकरी (nirdhūtākhila ghora pāpa nikarī)" which will mean "one who removes like smoke, the collection of ghora pāpas (done by the person praying).

If this is substituted by निर्धूताखिल घोर पावनकरी (nirdhūtākhila ghora pāvanakarī), the meaning will be something like "one who removes as smoke all the ghora pure things. Obviously we cannot have a thing which is ghora (horrible, terrible, etc.) and pāvana (pure) things and then pāvanakarī will mean purifier. The adjective ghora will therefore have to be taken as qualifying "pāvanakarī" and the meaning will then be the horrible purifier who removes like smoke.

I have a very old copy of bruhatstotra ratnākara which shows "nirdhūtākhila ghora pāpa nikarī". MS also pronounces the same way in her audio.

paapankaree is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back